Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Charge port LED light ring replacement procedure

Homegameroom

Greetings all!  Long time lurker, infrequent poster here.

My LED Charge ring had 2 segments out, which completely bothered my OCD.  I looked on the web for how top replace it and didn't find anything, so I thought I'd share my experience.

I bought one online for about $90 and had it shipped to me.  I was unsure how difficult it would be to replace, but it took me less than 1/2 hour.

I took off the front driver's side wheel and took off the fasteners that hold the wheel well housing on (I only took off the ones towards the rear of the well - that was enough).  Pull it loose and you will have access to everything.

I unplugged the light ring and discovered the ring assembly is held in with tabs.  I pushed the tabs in at the bottom (I used a screwdriver with a fat blade) and then pressed in the ones at the side (doing this at the wheel well), I then opened the hood and you can see the top tab- i pushed that in with the screwdriver and was able to take the ring out.  I then inserted a small screwdriver to remove the "old" door (a new door was not included with the new assembly).

I cleaned the area under the old ring and waxed it.  I then reversed the procedure (inserted the wire and snapped in the assembly) and then put the old door back on and checked it.  Voila!  All of the light rings were operational!!!

It was pretty easy!  Don't be afraid to try it!

​My light ring started not working s=right after the warranty.  My dealer is pretty useless on repairs to my car.

Your mileage may vary.  The pics are (hopefully) below.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Homegameroom. Good work. I don’t have a problem with my charging rings, just the charging door. I got my 2015 FFE used, and the door doesn’t work right. It just hangs once it pops out, and it pulls clear out of the charge port. Is there a part missing? If so, does the spring/closing mechanism come with the new charging ring? Not sure if I can get just the hinge/spring parts or if I have to order the whole light ring assembly. I’ll try to add some pictures.

• 2 months later...

Greetings all! Long time lurker, infrequent poster here.

My LED Charge ring had 2 segments out, which completely bothered my OCD. I looked on the web for how top replace it and didn't find anything, so I thought I'd share my experience.

I bought one online for about $90 and had it shipped to me. I was unsure how difficult it would be to replace, but it took me less than 1/2 hour.

I took off the front driver's side wheel and took off the fasteners that hold the wheel well housing on (I only took off the ones towards the rear of the well - that was enough). Pull it loose and you will have access to everything.

I unplugged the light ring and discovered the ring assembly is held in with tabs. I pushed the tabs in at the bottom (I used a screwdriver with a fat blade) and then pressed in the ones at the side (doing this at the wheel well), I then opened the hood and you can see the top tab- i pushed that in with the screwdriver and was able to take the ring out. I then inserted a small screwdriver to remove the "old" door (a new door was not included with the new assembly).

I cleaned the area under the old ring and waxed it. I then reversed the procedure (inserted the wire and snapped in the assembly) and then put the old door back on and checked it. Voila! All of the light rings were operational!!!

It was pretty easy! Don't be afraid to try it!

​My light ring started not working s=right after the warranty. My dealer is pretty useless on repairs to my car.

Your mileage may vary. The pics are (hopefully) below.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, thank you for posting this topic.

It looks like I need to replace my broken charging port + LED in my 2015 Ford Fusion (see attachments).

Could you please be so kind to provide me more info regarding the topic:

1. Does the part DG9Z-10370-C or DG9Z-10370-F contains the plastic LED ring as well or should this element be ordered as a separate part?
    If yes, what is the number of this part then?

2. Does a C-Max Energi charging port fit in with the Fusion? I've found this part for C-Max Energi available on a local market.

3. Which exact parts should I order to replace the whole set - charging port, LED ring and the cover together with this cover-hinge?

Many thanks in advance for your support,

Regards.

post-3606-0-22151900-1547153909_thumb.jpg

post-3606-0-81449300-1547153917_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikken

• 2 months later...

Wow!  It looks like the price has gone up a bit.  These folks have it for $118 https://www.pfeifferwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/ford-charging-port-dg9z10370f?c=cT1ERzlaLTEwMzcwLUM%3D

Keep searching!

The part I received came with everything needed EXCEPT the door, which gets reinstalled easily. 

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone i have a cmax but wanted to add to this. Mine was extremely hard to get to because i couldnt get to the top clip from engine side but i did get thru side door for side clip closest to the back.  It was really tight but got a long screwdriver and opened my front door window to do it two handed.  I took a picture.

Also I hate buying stuff just cause FORD sucks and uses shitty LEDs.  Anyway i figured out that just 2 of the 12 LEDs were dead on mine but that knocked out 2 quaduarants.  I am looking for a seller online but was able to salvage 1 quadrant by moving a good LED to a bad one.

You can test if LEDs are good by just using a multimeter on continueity mine puts out just enough muli volts that it shows them light up a little. Odd if reversed  the leds i think can be red also.  Anyway see the pictures and ill keep looking to source leds then only need to solder new ones on vs paying 100 dollars for a new part

post-3669-0-06451200-1553724486_thumb.jpg

post-3669-0-90996300-1553724496_thumb.jpg

post-3669-0-90641100-1553724505_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the photos. 

The two LEDs that are hidden by the door when it is open really don't do much anyway, so it was probably best to leave that one off anyway.  I've got one dead LED on mine, but I ain't gonna mess with it since the rest of that quadrant still works.

Interesting that they are bi-color.  You'd be the only one around with a red ring if you switched the LEDs around.

Edited by jsamp

Are you sure that the T10 1210/3528SMD chips are the same ones as the light ring?  Looks like they might be.

• 2 years later...

Just adding to the list of successful replacement/fix of the charge port light ring as of yesterday afternoon. The ease of the procedure as outlined here convinced me it was worth tackling myself rather than risk having the dealer claim it wasn't a warranty-covered item after a $100 "diagnostic fee". It was a little tight around the fender splash shield but I managed. It was harder getting a look at exactly what needed to be done than actually doing it.

In my case the bottom left quadrant was not only burned out, but the ring never behaved properly as well. When set to "on" in vehicle settings, the light would flash for an instant when plugging in to charge, then stay off. When set to "limited" it would light up with the current SoC after completing a trip, accounting of course for the burned out quadrant.

Now that the new one has gone in it behaves properly across the board. Best price I found today was about $132 shipped from the Pfeiffer Wholesale parts place listed here. Others were selling around that price point but prices went up from there, usually due to distance based shipping estimates.

• 8 months later...
On 9/26/2018 at 7:48 PM, jeh205 said:

Hey, Homegameroom. Good work. I don’t have a problem with my charging rings, just the charging door. I got my 2015 FFE used, and the door doesn’t work right. It just hangs once it pops out, and it pulls clear out of the charge port. Is there a part missing? If so, does the spring/closing mechanism come with the new charging ring? Not sure if I can get just the hinge/spring parts or if I have to order the whole light ring assembly. I’ll try to add some pictures.

On 9/26/2018 at 7:54 PM, jeh205 said:

Pictures of dangley door.

post-3499-0-61618100-1538005960_thumb.jpeg

post-3499-0-98935100-1538005972_thumb.jpeg

post-3499-0-67304500-1538005984_thumb.jpeg

I have exactly the same problem jeh205 posted about on my 2018.  Does anyone have a fix?

• 6 months later...

After 6 months of it getting stuck closed (so that we ended up leaving it not pushed in), my wife's charge port door on her 2016 C-Max Energi came right out like jeh205 (well okay, maybe I pulled it out trying to figure out how to fix it). Then a couple of weeks ago someone took the door while we were watching my grandson's soccer game (!?!), so I'm glad I found this thread. Ordered both the door and the port (would've been a lot cheaper if you could get the post that the door attaches to separately), painted the door and went about putting it today as per plojn (thanks!). The clips on the inside are tough to get at and after struggling for a while (used wooden clothespins to hold the ring out after releasing a couple of them from the wheel well side), I noticed that you can actually access them from the outside! (see picture). The top one is most obvious but if you pull back the rubber seal ring, all four can be seen (and reached with needle nose pliers) without taking off the splashguard or opening the hood or door. The electrical plug can be reached and disconnected/reconnected once the port ring is removed as well. I'm sure the dealership must have a simple tool that inserts in each of those four slots to release them, but it can be done with anything small enough to fit in the opening and push on the tabs (they push away from the middle of the circular ring). Hope this helps someone...

2016 C-Max Charge Port.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2022 at 4:33 PM, ltuff1 said:

it can be done with anything small enough to fit in the opening and push on the tabs (they push away from the middle of the circular ring)

2016 C-Max Charge Port.jpg

Hey @ltuff1,

Can you elaborate on the highlighted part of your quote?

I can't really see any tabs when looking into the slots. Do I push up (towards the sky), down (towards the ground) or in (towards the engine)?

Thank you.

• 3 months later...

My charging port door on my 2016 Cmax Energi broke in the open position a few weeks ago (see attached photo of my muddy car). When I took it in today for the transmission bushing recall, I asked for an estimate for this repair, and they quoted me over $600*! I said the part is about $100 online, so how is it so expensive? They claimed I needed the entire port door replaced, and painted to match--but the door is fine, it's just that the plastic rod that holds it in place broke off from the housing. Is part 10370 all I need? Do you have to disconnect the battery to replace it?

(*actually first they quoted me over $1600, but I said that can't possibly be right for a tiny piece of plastic, and when I asked to review the parts list, it was most definitely not right)

ford door.jpg

Pretty sure you can't buy just the post that holds the door, at least not from Ford.  I think the whole charge port is an assembly that is the ~$100 you mentioned.  Read the first post on this thread up top that shows the steps required to replace the unit.  It is actually pretty easy.  There are some sliding clips on the back side of the fender that you can pull off to release the unit.