Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Wished they'd put the EV button on paddles on the steering wheel...

chodatus

It was not designed by a woman.  Anyone with a handbag over their left arm is going to hit the buttons.  I haven't hit the park button but I have opened the fuel door when I was trying to put the car back into EV Only mode.  I've never figured out why it will stay in EV Only for weeks and then for some unknown reason will switch to Auto.  I've had the car for over 5 years and have never selected Auto on purpose.

I find the EV button location annoying as well, but why are you switching so much?  It shuts down the ICE on downhills for you.  I can understand the flats somewhat if they are long enough that the ICE fires back up and you want to avoid that.

I have a 100km commute and I know which sections are downhill and flat so I want to switch between EV later and Auto for those parts. I use EV later for uphills to maximize FE

I have a 100km commute and I know which sections are downhill and flat so I want to switch between EV later and Auto for those parts. I use EV later for uphills to maximize FE

Gotcha.  That is a long commute.  I do EV-later similarly at 2 points in my commute: one getting on the freeway, and one on a long uphill. 

My other annoyance beyond the button location is the left screen.  If you switch to EV mode when it's already running on EV, the screen changes to "energy use" - a useless screen. (I have My View for a reason!)  If you switch when the ICE is on, you have to press "OK" to get the pop-up message to clear.  These both force your eyes off the road to find out which button you need to press to get it back to where you were.

It was not designed by a woman.  Anyone with a handbag over their left arm is going to hit the buttons.  I haven't hit the park button but I have opened the fuel door when I was trying to put the car back into EV Only mode.  I've never figured out why it will stay in EV Only for weeks and then for some unknown reason will switch to Auto.  I've had the car for over 5 years and have never selected Auto on purpose.

Haha when I had a 2013 hybrid with Park Assist, my dad had a habit of accidentally hitting the Park Assist button whenever he rode upfront and he didn't even have a handbag.

2017 models remedied the issue by moving the buttons much closer to the driver and making them smaller.