Ford Fusion Energi Forum

FFE 7.6 KW battery uses 5.5ish on EV mode

ramsdaro

The battery on the 2018 FFE is 7.6 KW. While driving the full EV mode kicks off after about 5.5ish KW used.
It seems that's most non plug in hybrids have a 2 KW battery in them.
I am guessing the Fusion needs that 2 KW to be able to run hybrid and not gas. 

(Side bar. My drive to work is 40kms round trip. If I use AC I get around 30kms, if no AC I get 40kms)

If I was able to access the other 2KW on EV mode I would get another 10 kmish range.
It would be nice if there was an option to use full battery. Most days I pull into my garage with 1 KM or 0 KM of EV left. 

Another thing. I was curious about public pay chargers. I did read a post on this elsewhere in the forum, but just wanted to confirm my logic. 
My local city in Canada just installed 3 public chargers. 
Rates are in CAD.  

The Rate is $1.50 / hour (and you have to pay normal parking rates)

My understanding of my 2018 Ford Fusion Energi is this.

Takes 2.5 hours on a 240V charger to charge my car.

Assume only 2 hours = $3 for 40KM.

Gas/Hybrid for my car is 5L / 100KM = 2L needed for 40KM. @ $1.30/L that’s only $2.60 to get that far. 

I wont use pay chargers cause they cost more than gas. 

Just want to make sure my logic is accurate. 

The 7.6 kWh battery is allocated as follows:

5.6 kWh for EV mode

1.5 kWh for hybrid mode

0.5 kWh for battery protection against complete discharge

When the EV portion of the battery is depleted you continue driving in electric mode until the hybrid portion gets down to its recharge point somewhere below 50%.  Then the engine starts to recharge the battery to 50%.  In hybrid mode the car tries to keep the battery at 50% so there is room to store energy coming from regen.  If you can get enough energy from regen the EV portion will begin to recharge.  Back in 2013 a member of the group said he completely recharged the battery from regen coming down from the top of Pikes Peak.  My car has always taken 2:05 to charge the battery on 240 volts.

I don't know about Canada but many states prohibit anyone other than a power company charging by the kWh.  That's why the charge by time in many places.

Charlottesville. VA doesn't charge to charge the car.  Unfortunately the charger is in a parking lot that gets $3.00 per hour for parking.

Thanks a lot for that breakdown. 

Yesterday on my drive I was probably 2 kms from home when EV mode was disabled, but when I pulled into the driveway it said 19.8 of 19.8 km were EV. which was confusing because I thought 2 kms would have been on hybrid with some using the Engine. 

You explanation of the hybrid mode makes sense and why I got the result I did. 

Thanks again :)

Move to Toronto :P Their EV infrastructure is amazing. Downtown garages aren't cheap (except on weekends) but it doesn't cost any more to charge than to park in a normal space. The suburbs (especially Mississauga) have plenty of free Chargepoint stations though.

Sucks that London charges so much for charging! Maybe you should get a spare 120V and leech off wall outlets haha