Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2019 Fusion Energi Gets larger Capacity Battery, Same Form-factor

Neil

I was reading that the 2019 Fusion Energi will get a larger capacity battery, but the size and location of the battery is the same as the previous cars - (2013 - 2019)  According to the article I was reading, the capacity will increase from 7.6 KWH to 9.0 KWH.  The predicted range moves from 21 to 25.  Does anyone know if an older Energi (like from 2013) can accommodate the larger battery capacity or would something need to be reprogrammed? I have almost 100k on my car and the capacity is starting to drop.  The rest of the car is solid as a rock.  If the price wasn't too prohibitive I may consider repairing it rather than dumping it when the battery finally goes.  

Also, will Elon Muck's giga-plant have an impact on the price/availability of the battery for the Energi? 

It's not a swappable module as I understand it.  These are simply smaller batteries occupying the same space.   And the cost to replace even your existing pack would take years and years to pay off vs. having a lower capacity, no?  

I'm not sure I follow your statement entirely, though the conclusion is the same.  The newer battery is the exact same physical size (same housing) but with higher capacity cells in it getting 9.0kWh instead of 7.6 kWh, so it will "fit" in the car. 

The issue of swapping has 2 things preventing it:  1) I suspect the car would need software compatible with the new battery and Ford has never said it will offer such an upgrade, and 2) you'll likely never recoup your investment as the current replacement batteries are >$3000 from Ford and the new ones will probably be more than that.  https://www.oemfordpartsjackyjones.com/auto-parts/2013/ford/c-max/hybrid-se-trim/2-0l-l4-electric-gas-engine/hybrid-components-cat/battery-scat

It is possible that Ford will offer an upgrade replacement, but they have not indicated that so far.  It is also possible there will be an aftermarket offering like these guys: https://greentecauto.com/product-category/ford/fusion but they don't have it yet.

Edited by jsamp

I'm not sure I follow your statement entirely, though the conclusion is the same.  The newer battery is the exact same physical size (same housing) but with higher capacity cells in it getting 9.0kWh instead of 7.6 kWh, so it will "fit" in the car. 

The issue of swapping has 2 things preventing it:  1) I suspect the car would need software compatible with the new battery and Ford has never said it will offer such an upgrade, and 2) you'll likely never recoup your investment as the current replacement batteries are >$3000 from Ford and the new ones will probably be more than that.  https://www.oemfordpartsjackyjones.com/auto-parts/2013/ford/c-max/hybrid-se-trim/2-0l-l4-electric-gas-engine/hybrid-components-cat/battery-scat

It is possible that Ford will offer an upgrade replacement, but they have not indicated that so far.  It is also possible there will be an aftermarket offering like these guys: https://greentecauto.com/product-category/ford/fusion but they don't have it yet.

I think the $3k battery you're looking at is for the Hybrid, not the Plug-In Hybrid.  The current Energi battery is closer to $7k, I think.  

Your point on the ROI on a new battery only looks at the fuel savings vs the extended life of the car.  If my battery goes out in a couple of years (120k miles?) then my options would be to sell the car cheap, repair it or buy a new one.  The value of a Fusion Energi with 120k miles that needs a $7k repair is very low.  Scrap metal prices probably.   A new Energi will be $36k at a minimum.  The depreciation over 3 years on a Fusion Energi will be greater than the price of a new battery.  So, if replacing the battery in my existing car extends the life of the car by 3 years or more, it may make sense.  I guess it just depends on the price of the new battery - if the giga-factory has the impact on the market that some are predicting (reduction in the prices of Hybrid batteries by 30%)  then the feasibility of doing a battery swap may make better fiscal sense.  There are lots of variables - I definitely don't have enough information to say for sure.  

You are right, I had the wrong link.  It is ~$7500.  They didn't list one for the Fusion but this is the link for a C-Max:

https://www.oemfordpartsjackyjones.com/oem-parts/ford-battery-gm5z10b759d/?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9YmF0dGVyeSZpPUpHMTMwOTY1JnI9bGF5ZXJfMSZhPWZvcmQmbz1jLW1heCZ5PTIwMTMmdD1lbmVyZ2ktc2VsJmU9Mi0wbC1sNC1lbGVjdHJpYy1nYXM%3D

It all depends on what the "value" to you is for having ~12-15 miles per charge vs 21 for the next couple years.  If the battery completely dies, that's one thing.  If it is degraded performance, the value proposition is different.  It all depends on what you want from your car for the next couple years.

A new Energi will be $36k at a minimum.

Don't know where you're getting that number.  We had a 2010 Fusion Hybrid.  Ordered a 2018 Energi, sold the Hybrid.  We ended up leasing the Energi because the rebate on it was crazy, $11,057.  Cost of vehicle came down below $25,000, and that was for a Titanium.

2019 Ford Energi Titanium starts at $34,595 plus $895 destination, total of $35,490.  Incentives in SE Michigan are $9.757 (leasing), so the net cost is $25,733.  Add in some leasing costs and you're still below $27,000.  We have A-Plan so we'd be closer to $25,000.