Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2015 Fusion Energi won't start

CoolDude

Hello,

Love my fusion but yesterday it left me hanging. Left the car parked for a few hours (about 2, maybe 1.5hrs). Tried to start it, nothing. Interestingly, a warning asking if it was plugged in showed up. I said no.

Anyways...now it wont start. I turned the key, everything goes as normal. Except the question shows up, I have no power steering and it wont start.

Tried to jumpstart it, but nothing. I am 6hinking maybe the battery is dead? I cant find anything online to give me a hint.

I do plan on doing that...now, I bought it used in May last year and, per agreement, it should have had a new battery.

I tried to start it yesterday and it miraculously started as normal and I even used for work today. I will still reach out to the dealership since it is still under warranty. Also, how critical is jumping battery on these new hybrid and electric cars? I hear we shouldn't do it as the electronics could fry critical components.

Do you drive it every day?  I'm retired and mine can sit for a week without being used.  I replaced the wet cell lead acid battery with an AGM battery 6 months after I bought the car in 2013.  There are a lot of microprocessors in the car that are always on.  I hook up a smart battery charger that knows how to charge an AGM battery when the car has been sitting unused for a while.  Use the terminals under the hood to avoid any chance of a spark setting off hydrogen that may have accumulated above the battery.  That shouldn't happen since the battery is vented underneath the car but Murphy's Law always applies.

Hello, thanks for your commentary. I do drive daily. Except that, when it did not start (on Saturday evening), I had left parked for a week due to a business trip. It started normally on Friday night and multiple times on Saturday throughout the day, except in the early evening when it wouldn't start.

Good to know about this layer of potential hydrogen build up above battery.

Thanks again!

• 3 months later...

Mine does the same thing if it sits for a week. Very inconvenient.

Do you park yours outdoors? I left my car in the garage (plugged in) for 3 weeks during Xmas 2018 and it started right back up when I returned. It still has the same 12V battery it had since its original Oct 2016 build date (I am the second owner). 

New cars these days have too many electronics and the standard lead acid battery used in most cars hasn't advanced much in decades. Outdoor parking during the winter only exacerbates the drain. 

Do you park yours outdoors? I left my car in the garage (plugged in) for 3 weeks during Xmas 2018 and it started right back up when I returned. It still has the same 12V battery it had since its original Oct 2016 build date (I am the second owner). 

New cars these days have too many electronics and the standard lead acid battery used in most cars hasn't advanced much in decades. Outdoor parking during the winter only exacerbates the drain. 

I would think it's better for the car to just put a trickle charger on the 12V than leave it plugged in to your EVSE for 3 weeks.  3 weeks at 100% can't be good for the battery.

Edited by jsamp

• 9 months later...