Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Winter electric range

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Energi_916

Energi_916

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 17 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationNorthern California
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2016

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:17 PM

I was literally reading this article right before switching to this forum.  Here's your answer:
https://insideevs.co...-extreme-temps/
The range loss due to cold is nearly the same for EVs vs ICEs.  It's the heater use that causes all the extra range loss.

This is what I had read: https://www.fuelecon...ldweather.shtml

Interesting. Honestly I never paid attention to my ICE's reduced efficiency in my winters which are mild compared to other areas. Not sure why but in the new toy I quickly noticed a 14 mile range recently with temps in low 30's vs the 18 I usually got with slightly warmer temps in the 40's to mid 50's.

Ah, that explains how I get such a narrow range of EV miles, winter vs. summer, of 19 to 29, compared to others' reported ranges.  In the winter (there's snow on the ground here now) I'm mostly using only the steering wheel heater.  In the summer I usually have the A/C on.  Maybe I've seen 17 once, but never 30 or more.

So 19 is your Winter minimum EV range?

Edited by Energi_916, 13 February 2019 - 01:21 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   jsamp

jsamp

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 313 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE, Escape Hybrid
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:43 PM

This is what I had read: https://www.fuelecon...ldweather.shtml

Interesting. Honestly I never paid attention to my ICE's reduced efficiency in my winters which are mild compared to other areas. Not sure why but in the new toy I quickly noticed a 14 mile range recently with temps in low 30's vs the 18 I usually got with slightly warmer temps in the 40's to mid 50's.

I wouldn't go by the estimated range as that is just a computer calculation based on recent driving.  It changes every time you drive.

That report compares ICE vs Hybrid.  We were comparing ICE vs EV. 

It would be interesting to see a larger study that incorporates all 3.  I'm guessing maybe Atkinson cycle engines are more affected by cold than Otto Cycle?  That added to reduced battery performance could make the larger difference.

Edited by jsamp, 13 February 2019 - 05:45 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   Gkinla

Gkinla

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Fusion Energi

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:11 PM

When deciding to use heat or not, I always think of this picture.

post-2143-0-06431800-1511377971.jpeg

• ptjones likes this

#24 OFFLINE   jj2me

jj2me

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 134 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2017

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:23 AM

So 19 is your Winter minimum EV range?

This year, yes.  It's been one of the mildest winters here, no snow lasted long enough to shovel.

Maybe I've seen 17 or 18 last year, I don't remember.  In winter, I'm mostly using EV in city driving, low speeds, traffic lights, not very far distances.  I'm dressed warmly so usually don't feel a need for heat on these short trips other than on my hands.  

With jsamp's caveat, I'm just parroting what the display says, I haven't calculated miles driven vs. kWh used.

#25 OFFLINE   Energi_916

Energi_916

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:15 PM

I wouldn't go by the estimated range as that is just a computer calculation based on recent driving.  It changes every time you drive.

Yeah, I knew it was just an estimate directly related to your driving style. In other words a "Guess O Meter"

That report compares ICE vs Hybrid.  We were comparing ICE vs EV. 

It would be interesting to see a larger study that incorporates all 3.

with increased awareness and availability of PHEV's and EV's, I think it would be great to have this comparison/report done.

This year, yes.  It's been one of the mildest winters here, no snow lasted long enough to shovel.

Maybe I've seen 17 or 18 last year, I don't remember.  In winter, I'm mostly using EV in city driving, low speeds, traffic lights, not very far distances.  I'm dressed warmly so usually don't feel a need for heat on these short trips other than on my hands.  

With jsamp's caveat, I'm just parroting what the display says, I haven't calculated miles driven vs. kWh used.

Still, that is very good even with the caveats of the Guess O Meter.

Edited by Energi_916, 14 February 2019 - 12:19 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   Electriffic

Electriffic

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationMontana
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:44 PM

With Sub-Zero temps I'm consistently seeing 6 miles EV range (heater at 68F). Just drove to Missoula and back; 38mpg there and 32mpg on the way back, average speed 58mph. 2015 ffe.

#27 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 167 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:27 AM

In SE Michigan I see a 50% drop in EV range during the most extreme cold, compared to the max range I get during summer hypermiling.

#28 OFFLINE   jj2me

jj2me

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 134 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

Still, that is very good even with the caveats of the Guess O Meter.

Attached are two screenshots of my displays, showing 22 miles per charge and 40° outside temperature (about average or above average temperature for my driving lately in New Jersey)

I don't recall turning on the heat or seat heaters in a while, just occasional use of the steering wheel heater.

What's strange is that I'll typically see 21 - 27 miles per charge in the summer, rarely more, tops was 29.  Maybe because I use the A/C a lot?

Attached Files

#29 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 167 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:56 AM

A/C definitely impacts EV range a bit, though it's a tiny hit compared to heat use during the winter.

In SE Michigan on a 30C+ July day I will get maybe 22-24 miles if I use the A/C. If I drive with the windows down instead I can easily get 27+.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·