Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Remote start - actual experience

RickEnergi

I have experience with a remote start on my F-150.  Takes X minutes to come to temp, is useful for when the car is iced up, or I want the heat to get a minute or two head start before I use the truck.

Our Fusion Energi is parked in the garage, and is always plugged into the wall when in the garage.  And it has an engine block heater (Wisconsin delivered car).  Garage stays about 10 degrees warmer than the outside.

Right now we are using Go Times, getting some warm air in the car before my wife heads out.

Yesterday, with the car plugged in, I used remote start.  Engine stayed off, air blasted out of the vents.  However, I want to ensure that the gas engine never starts (due to being in the garage).  Am I gaining anything by using remote start in this situation?  Is it warming more than just using a Go Time (I think it's the same)?  Will the gas engine not start because it's plugged in?

One of the reasons to ask this is because on the weekends we have no Go Time set.  Yesterday we ran some errands, and had a planned departure time.  Setting a one-time Go Time would have been helpful, but doesn't exist.  I was leery of using Remote Start fearing the gas engine would start.

Looking for some real life experiences, I can sit and play some day myself to see what actually happens.

Go Times, if you aren't already aware, will only use wall power to generate heat. This means for 110V you'll max out at around ~1200W of heat or 220V will be about ~3300W.

When remote starting while plugged in, it'll allow it to pull from both the wall and battery simultaneously. So you'll max the wattage from the wall and remaining power use up to around 5-6kw will come out of the battery.

Because of being plugged in at this time and being able to offload some of the power draw for heat to the charger, the threshold for engaging the ICE is going to be raised compared to remote starting while unplugged. But it isn't going to go away 100%.

You can also raise this threshold a little further by leaving it in EV Now vs Auto. EV Now will stick after the car is shut off. Again, the threshold for ICE activation will not go away, just chances for it to happen will be reduced. Ambient temp and climate settings will also affect this.