Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Energi or Hybrid?

RickEnergi

My elderly mother is likely going to buy a new Fusion in the next month or two.  Assuming that in a test drive I can show her how the Hybrid/Energi acceleration is adequate for her needs, and show her how she's saving money at the pump (not really a big deal, best case is just over $100 a year based on low miles driven), here's my question.

The difference between a Titanium Hybrid and a Titanium Energi is the tax credit.  The Energi is cheaper.  With local driving for most of her driving, the hybrid will get great mpg.  In fact, at her electric cost, and $2.50 a gallon, it's the same whether she plugs in or drives on gas.  She doesn't care about saving the environment.

Can someone buy an Energi and never plug it in, and not have any issues with the systems?  Vehicle would never be out of warranty for the components.

Based on the reports we've received in the forum we think never charging it does no harm. There have been a couple of guys who reported that they bought fleet vehicles used that they knew had never been charged observed the HVB was like new.

I personally go months at a time without charging mine and I've never had a problem. I have 58k miles on a 2015 and my HVB has lost maybe 5% of its original capacity.