Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

2019 Fusion Energi Range - 20 miles?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   49erfusion

49erfusion

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSF Bay Area
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2019

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:16 PM

Proud new owner of a 2019 FFE. Loving the car overall minus the non-existent trunk ;-/ Quick question regarding the electric range of the 2019 MY. I was under the assumption this vehicle had the larger electric battery with 25 mi range. I've only seen 21 miles max, typically 20-21 miles. Is this consistent with what others with the MY19 are getting or worth taking to the dealer to get checked out?

Using a L2 Clipper Creek charger at home and ChargePoint at work

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 2,095 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:40 AM

Are you using the heater in electric only mode?  Using the heater in EV only mode in the winter drops my range from 21 to 10 in spite of the range calculation saying 17 when I start out.  I have never been to SF but the battery efficiency starts going down when the temperature is below 70 degrees.  If you are using the heater try using GO times instead to warm the car before you leave and then using a warm coat and the seat heater to stay comfortable.

Also don't drive above 45 mph in electric only mode.  Wind resistance increases with the square of the velocity so the faster you go the higher the energy draw on the battery gets.

The range display is a mathematical calculation.  There is no known way to measure the energy in a LiIon battery.  They keep track of what goes in and what comes out to compute an estimate of what is available.

If your trip to work involves "freeway" driving use EV Only to get to the freeway,  Then switch to EV Later while on the freeway.  Finally switch back to EV Only when you leave the freeway.  It will get better when the temperature stays above 75 degrees 24 hours a day.

• jsamp, Timewellspent and ptjones like this

#3 OFFLINE   49erfusion

49erfusion

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:50 PM

Are you using the heater in electric only mode? Using the heater in EV only mode in the winter drops my range from 21 to 10 in spite of the range calculation saying 17 when I start out. I have never been to SF but the battery efficiency starts going down when the temperature is below 70 degrees. If you are using the heater try using GO times instead to warm the car before you leave and then using a warm coat and the seat heater to stay comfortable.

Also don't drive above 45 mph in electric only mode. Wind resistance increases with the square of the velocity so the faster you go the higher the energy draw on the battery gets.

The range display is a mathematical calculation. There is no known way to measure the energy in a LiIon battery. They keep track of what goes in and what comes out to compute an estimate of what is available.

If your trip to work involves "freeway" driving use EV Only to get to the freeway, Then switch to EV Later while on the freeway. Finally switch back to EV Only when you leave the freeway. It will get better when the temperature stays above 75 degrees 24 hours a day.

Have never used the heater, only the heated driver's seat and steering wheel. This is my second "electric" car, the previous being the RAV4EV.

Thanks for the tips on EV only and EV later modes. I'll give those a try and see if it helps at all.

#4 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 49 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern
  • LocationNewnan
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX Hybrid

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:16 PM

With Lithium Ion batteries the range will go down with the outside temperature, at 50*F you may only get 20 miles and at 75*F 24 miles.

Paul

#5 OFFLINE   49erfusion

49erfusion

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:23 PM

With Lithium Ion batteries the range will go down with the outside temperature, at 50*F you may only get 20 miles and at 75*F 24 miles.

Paul

Thanks Paul. It's somewhere in between 50 and 75 here in The Bay Area. Was hoping there might be a hidden option for "extended charge" as I know these batteries are usually best preserved when only charged to 80%
  • ptjones likes this

#6 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNewnan

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:40 PM

Here are some tips to improve your range. https://www.fordfusi...-gas-mileage/  

Good Luck

Paul

#7 OFFLINE   muzicman61

muzicman61

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 176 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2017

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:46 AM

I'm getting about 27-28 here in Phoenix where temps going to work have been in the 40s and driving home in the 60s.

• ptjones likes this
641076.png

#8 OFFLINE   jsamp

jsamp

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 313 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE, Escape Hybrid
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:34 PM

EV at freeway speeds will drop your range in a hurry (as well as overtax your battery). 

I'm in the Bay Area as well with a 2015 and I'm getting 24-25 these winter days.  You should be doing better with your larger battery, but it could just be the computer still learning your driving.  After a weekend of around town EV driving, my car will tell me ~28 miles on Monday morning from a full charge.  By Friday morning after a week of commuting, it's back to ~25.

#9 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNewnan

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

It would be nice if you guys could monitor your HVB temps to see what's actually going on. :)

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·