Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2019 Energi Lease vs. Buy

Spartyof83

I'm considering the 2019 Energi but haven't decided if I want to buy or lease. The lease offers on the Ford Website where you can build your Energi as you'd like it says there are $10,007 worth of incentives if you lease vs. $1,000 if you buy. Granted, I believe they give you the Federal Tax Credit for the Plug in, which is worth around $4,500 I am guessing, but what about the balance? Why so much more of an incentive to lease vs. buy? 

A sub topic.....if I do indeed choose to buy, is this a car that I can legitimately keep for say, 10 years without major issues?

Thanks, everyone for your input.

We leased our 2018 for the exact reason you specify.  I suspect you are not looking at the buying incentives properly though.  I see $1,500 for retail, the dealer can print a Smart Vincent report showing all rebates you qualify for, which include a higher rebate if you take the normal (non-subsidized) finance rate, which you can then pay off days later (and keep the rebate).  The tax credit is $4,607 I believe.  There are other fees incurred with leasing that you don't incur if you buy.

In my analysis (A-Plan), I will be saving close to $2,000 by leasing vs. buying, assuming at the end of the lease I purchase the vehicle.  If it's worth more than the residual value and I sell it, then in fact I will make more money.  The rebate for purchase at that time was $3,000 if I recall properly, so if yours is that much lower than leasing is even more attractive.  

Can you keep this for 10 years?  Maybe.  However, you'll find that well before 10 years this car's PHEV capabilities will be a joke as compared to new vehicles on the market (my opinion).  We kept our 2010 Fusion Hybrid for 9 years, selling it to buy this vehicle.  Repairs were very minor (rear brakes) in addition to oil changes and tire rotations/replacements.  Just before we sold it, it had a major suspension problem, possibly brought on by Michigan potholes, that was nearly $2,000.  I would expect the battery would have lost considerable capacity near 10 years.  

I plan on keeping ours for 3 years, then buying a hybrid / PHEV SUV for our retirement.  

My personal opinion is leasing a vehicle is never a good idea.  But then I'm the type of guy who always pays cash for my vehicles.

Which sometimes is a bad financial decision.

A better financial decision is often to take the market (non-discounted) rate for a loan from Ford Credit, with the accompanying rebate ($500 - $1,500), and then pay off the loan days later.  

I think for the most part, Ford is having a really hard time selling the Energi, and between Ford's incentives and the Federal Tax Credit, the Energi is actually a better value than the Hybrid model. Having owned a 2013 Energi Titanium since its inception, I see very little real difference in the upcoming 2019 model and the one I own except for some added tech and some additional (very few) e-miles and yes, the same amount of space in the trunk.

One last question....is this battery air or liquid cooled? Anyone know?

I think for the most part, Ford is having a really hard time selling the Energi, and between Ford's incentives and the Federal Tax Credit, the Energi is actually a better value than the Hybrid model.

There is no analysis really needed.  The Energi costs less than the Hybrid when all rebates (leasing) or rebates and tax credits (buying) are included.  Therefore, if the trunk space is acceptable, there is literally no reason to buy the Hybrid.

My mother is in the process of buying the Hybrid.  She could care less about MPG, or the environment, and in reality about how much she spends.  But since I have a heavy hand in the buying process, she's getting a Hybrid.  The trunk space on the Energi is a deal-breaker to her.

Which sometimes is a bad financial decision.

A better financial decision is often to take the market (non-discounted) rate for a loan from Ford Credit, with the accompanying rebate ($500 - $1,500), and then pay off the loan days later.  

A better financial decision is not to buy new.  I typically buy Dealer execs with very low mileage and save thousands.

• 2 weeks later...

Having owned a 2013 Energi Titanium since its inception, I see very little real difference in the upcoming 2019 model and the one I own except for some added tech and some additional (very few) e-miles and yes, the same amount of space in the trunk.

From reading a few articles I recall they have been adding standard options that used to be available as extras in the Titanium as the years go by. Is that the case? have not really paid attention.  

And the battery, it could be the same battery capacity but maybe they have just modified what can be accessed for EV mode.  Ho

A better financial decision is not to buy new.  I typically buy Dealer execs with very low mileage and save thousands.

what is considered a Dealer exec? How can you tell? 
Edited by Energi_916

From reading a few articles I recall they have been adding standard options that used to be available as extras in the Titanium as the years go by. Is that the case? have not really paid attention.  

And the battery, it could be the same battery capacity but maybe they have just modified what can be accessed for EV mode.  Ho

Yes, they have pared down the options and made most things standard on the 'new' Titaniums.  This was mostly for cost reasons (less options to manage).

The 2019s have a 9.0kWh battery instead of the previous 7.6kWh.  The battery and individual cells are the exact same size, just the cells have ~20% more capacity due to improvements in chemistry.

Yes, they have pared down the options and made most things standard on the 'new' Titaniums.  This was mostly for cost reasons (less options to manage).

The 2019s have a 9.0kWh battery instead of the previous 7.6kWh.  The battery and individual cells are the exact same size, just the cells have ~20% more capacity due to improvements in chemistry.

Nice!!

I wish the range was 46 miles.  :)

I will definitely consider moving up  in year once the time comes in a few years. 

• 4 weeks later...

This. The savings are especially great with non-Japanese brands. Also, financing options for used cars tend to be less attractive than they are for brand new cars. If I were in the market for a brand new car, I might consider a lease/finance but for now I'm happy buying lightly used cars and running them into the ground. 

Btw, one sad bit of news for MY2019 Fusions - Active Park Assist is no longer offered except on the Sport V6 model. Although I don't use the feature often, it's the only way to get parking sensors in the front fascia (which I actually use often). Not a big deal but still disappointing.

Edited by 4cylinder

• 3 months later...

Hello All,

I'm brand new to this forum, and I'm a salesman at a Lincoln/Ford conglomerate here in the Detroit area. I'm also the Brand Champion (fancy title), and the Tech guy (real knowledge).

First, I LOVE my 2019 Fusion Energi Titanium. Yes, no active park assist. I realized that after I ordered it, but I got my russet interior, so I'll park my own car, thank you...

As far as the Lease Vs. Buy talk goes... let me tell you, from an insider's perspective, you need to lease, with the intent to buy. Period.

10,007 in rebates available to everyone. ** Full disclosure: In my case, I let my dealer put my unit in rental service, so I got an additional $3000 rebate for that, and because it was in rental service for longer than 61 days, I got the aged inventory rebate.**

I also had them add the lit plate sills, so when I open the front doors, the "Fusion" lights up. Small customization, but just another thing I love about my car... $250 well spent, IMO...

Anyway, the MSRP on this car, with every option (the only option in 2019 is color, interior, and moon roof or no moon roof, so I got the moon roof) is $38695. Factory discounts of $2,000.  Total MSRP is 36685.D-Plan *which is what I get* ($33798), Disounts, minus rebates, after 3 years, with 12K/year, the buy out is $14,500. My lease payment is $270. At the end of 3 years, a $14,500 auto loan through my credit union should be about the same.

I work at a stand alone Lincoln dealership, with 2 Ford stores in the group, and let me tell you, there's a reason I got this car. It's the absolute best buy Ford has going right now. Lease it, buy it at the end, and you'll thank yourself later. If, for some reason, you get a lemon, or a car with problems, at least you're not stuck with it, in a lease, like you are if you buy. The pros way out weigh the cons, or at least they did for me when I put it down on paper.

Hope all of you are well, and Hopefully my knowledge will be an asset to this forum!

• 4 weeks later...

Lease ALL THE WAY

Just leased my 2019 Energi w/moonroof in Magnetic 

450 DAS and 242.88/month (36/10,500).

They are giving these away with BJ's xplan pricing and all other incentives including $3500 lease trade in credit (any lease ending within 90 days, doesn't even have to be a ford) come out to over $14,000 in incentives

Anyone needs help structuring a deal like this let me know!!