Ford Fusion Energi Forum

How to Preheat \ Precondition On-Demand without Engine?

scurrier

Is there a way to trigger a preheat of the car while plugged in without the engine coming on? I'd like to hit a button in the MyFord Mobile app and have it just do it's best electrically preheating in my garage. I'm willing to do this way before needing the car if it takes time to heat electrically.

Thanks

Yes.

You can always delete it once it has done its job.  I do that all of the time for things like appointments.

Thanks for your help. I may use this every now and then. But with everything in the app being so slow, it will be a 2-3 minute adventure in the app every time I want to on-demand preheat. I can't see myself using it much while I'm trying to wrangle kids, etc. This should be a widget that you can put on your home screen and fire and forget. Missed opportunity for Ford. Bummer.

I wonder if anyone has hacked on the API interface to the car to try to get it to do things the original designers failed at?

If you leave enough charge to run EV Now mode, you can set that before leaving the car and it will retain the next time the vehicle is started so remote start can be used in place of Go Times for a more on-demand type use. Obviously there's still conditions such as extremely cold temps the engine will still run so I'd be wary of doing this in an enclosed location but it is an option vs messing with setting up a one-time-use Go Time.

If you leave enough charge to run EV Now mode, you can set that before leaving the car and it will retain the next time the vehicle is started so remote start can be used in place of Go Times for a more on-demand type use. Obviously there's still conditions such as extremely cold temps the engine will still run so I'd be wary of doing this in an enclosed location but it is an option vs messing with setting up a one-time-use Go Time.

Thanks. That's good to know. I think I would normally not want to risk it running the engine in the garage or cutting down my mileage by heating with more power than what comes from the EVSE.

I've commented about this before - MyFord Mobile is lacking in features.  This is a perfect example - you're getting ready to go out, you want to pre-heat the car, it's plugged in, and you can't easily do it.  

We have Go Times setup for Mon - Friday commute and it works great.  But for the weekend, not so much.  Remote start may, or may not, start the ICE.  Did it back a few months ago, just electric.  Did it last week, started ICE (which I expected).

It would be great if Ford actually pulled input from customers to better design capabilities.  

I've actually spoken to MyFord Mobile staff as when I first got the vehicle it wouldn't do Value Charge.  First contact was off-shore support that knew nothing, had local staff contact me 24 hours later.  Local staff is clearly NOT dedicated to MyFord Mobile or to PHEV or even Hybrid.  It's a conglomerate of people across Ford that work in other areas and get together for a weekly Wednesday meeting to discuss issues.  Callbacks usually come right after that meeting.

It took them several weeks to get my Value Charge times working, and they don't pull in the local utility company's rates as their online videos demonstrate - and those videos are actually the same company and the same plans because I live in SE Michigan so I have the same utility company as Ford HQ.  Pretty funny (not), they contacted me about a month ago to say "we've got the rates in there", and in fact they did not, they just had the names of the plans without rate periods.  I said "did you guys even test this before wasting my time"?  No answer.

Edited by RickEnergi