Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Anyone carry on of those battery jump packs?

Energi_916

So in my previous ICE car  :) I always carry one of those battery packs you can use to jump start the car. In the FFE there is no starter and the car starts with the HVB correct? So is there any advantage to carry one of these emergency packs in your trunk/glove box? 

What is powered by the 12V battery? 

It would still be just as useful as it is in an ICE car.  If the 12V battery dies, it doesn't matter if the HVB is full or not, you can't start the car.  Those battery jump packs will allow you to start the car by hooking up to the terminals under the hood.  Of course, you don't need the amperage that those units can deliver as you are just powering the electronics, not the starter.

I do.  It's in the trunk.  There is a small rope tied to the emergency trunk release handle that runs up behind the right rear seat back so I can open the trunk if the 12 volt battery is completely dead.

The 12 volt battery is used to close the contactors that connect the HVB to the car so without 12 volts the car is not going anywhere.

It would still be just as useful as it is in an ICE car.  If the 12V battery dies, it doesn't matter if the HVB is full or not, you can't start the car.  Those battery jump packs will allow you to start the car by hooking up to the terminals under the hood.  Of course, you don't need the amperage that those units can deliver as you are just powering the electronics, not the starter.

I got a NOCO GB40 that saved me a couple of times already and was able to jump a big SUV. And since my commute on the FFE is about 46 miles RT, I got one just for peace  of mind. Sounds like it fits the bill just perfect. 

I do.  It's in the trunk.  There is a small rope tied to the emergency trunk release handle that runs up behind the right rear seat back so I can open the trunk if the 12 volt battery is completely dead.

The 12 volt battery is used to close the contactors that connect the HVB to the car so without 12 volts the car is not going anywhere.

any reason why you don't you keep it in the glove box?

Edited by Energi_916

I got a NOCO GB40 that saved me a couple of times already and was able to jump a big SUV. And since my commute on the FFE is about 46 miles RT, I got one just for peace  of mind. Sounds like it fits the bill just perfect. 

any reason why you don't you keep it in the glove box?

It doesn't fit in the glove box.  It's an old Sears model that is quite large.  My newer smaller one is in my other car.

I should mention that in almost 6 years I have never had to use it.  Within 6 months of buying the car I got rid of the supplied wet cell battery and installed an AGM battery.  That involved modifying the battery tray with a hacksaw.

It doesn't fit in the glove box.  It's an old Sears model that is quite large.  My newer smaller one is in my other car.

I should mention that in almost 6 years I have never had to use it.  Within 6 months of buying the car I got rid of the supplied wet cell battery and installed an AGM battery.  That involved modifying the battery tray with a hacksaw.

Funny thing is that I too have never used my battery pack in about 1 year on my cars but have used it to help others.

what advantage do you get with this battery mod you mention?

Funny thing is that I too have never used my battery pack in about 1 year on my cars but have used it to help others.

what advantage do you get with this battery mod you mention?

AGM batteries maintain their voltage to a much lower state of charge (SOC) than a wet cell battery does.  They also are not damaged by a low SOC like a wet cell battery is.

• 3 weeks later...

I carry one of the small Li-ion models.  So small that even in the case, it fits under and behind the front passenger seat.  As was written earlier, you have a set of jump terminals under the hood.  I have dealt with my 2015 FFE with a dead 12V battery in an airport parking garage, and it's no fun.  You can get into the car, but can't secure it.  And, the hood latch was jammed so I couldn't open the hood.  Nor could one of the idiots that was sent out to help me.  Third fellow out was the charm, he knew the trick!  I now have a spanking new 2019 FFE and hope I don't run into this problem again.  But if I do - I'm prepared!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm a trespasser here and checking out this site while I debate buying a 2020 Energi Titanium I have my eye on. While this might not post until I register, I just had to chime in. 

I believe I have the same/similar device you are talking about. Mine is a Schumacker SL 1312 Jump Starter and Power Pack. I learned the hard way that, if allowed to completely run down, they cannot be re-charged. No way. Never. The instructions encourage you to plug 'em in and charge them up every 30 days to "prolong battery life". The Trouble-shooting section talks about what to do when you go to turn on the unit and the "on" lite just blinks and goes out immediately. The explanation/solution? You have "over-discharged" the battery. Plug it in and re-charge it. This just isn't true. Some of these posts make it look as though you placed your device in the car for months or years and it still worked? Really? Or are you just assuming it will be fine when you need to jump your battery? You might want to take it out and try turning it on to make sure. I used mine only once to start car and several times just for the flashlite. 

I contacted them to complain. Told them they needed to make it abundantly clear that you cannot under any circumstances allow it to completely run down (I guess this is what battery geeks call "over-discharge") because you'll now have a paperweight on your hands. They replied!  Said they'd refer my email to the folks who write the instructions and to have a nice day. 

I was unfamiliar with either "over-discharge" or "bricking". I suspect most people are in the same boat as I am. The word needs to be spread and a good way to do so would be to have Schumacher and others spell it out in their instructions. 

I assume the Li-Ion batteries in the Fusion have some sort of built-in safeguards to prevent this. Right? 

Yes, they do.  There is an inaccessible ~.5kwh at the top end that is buffer for "overcharge" situation, and an unknown amount (probably ~.7kWh) at the bottom end to prevent over-discharge.  You'll notice that when in hybrid mode the battery symbol rarely gets below ~1/2 full before the ICE turns on.  That is the bottom buffer. 

How effective Ford was on protecting the battery with these safeguards is up for debate.  There used to be a feature called EV+ on earlier Energis that allowed it to go deeper into the bottom buffer if you were within 1/2 mile from home, on the assumption that you would plug in once you got there.  They removed that feature I think because it was allowing too much discharge and damaging the batteries.  On rare occasions I've shut mine off in hybrid mode at just below 1/2 full then started up a few hours later and it was well below that.

My '17 has EV+. Once it gets down to about 35% it's much more difficult to keep the ICE off; the power available meter on the dash gets pretty low! Fortunately our home is only a short coast from the entrance from our street; the lowest I recall getting the battery in hybrid mode is about 25%.

On 8/23/2022 at 10:03 AM, theterminator93 said:

My '17 has EV+. Once it gets down to about 35% it's much more difficult to keep the ICE off; the power available meter on the dash gets pretty low! Fortunately our home is only a short coast from the entrance from our street; the lowest I recall getting the battery in hybrid mode is about 25%.

Hmmm... I have a 17 as well but don't recall EV+.  Where is that engaged?