Ford Fusion Energi Forum

water pump

fusionmor

Hello everyone

yesterday I started my FFH 13 to drop off my kids at school, 1 mile after just outside school the car caught fire, fortunately I had a powerful fire extinguisher thing that saved me.
I called a licensed mechanic he told me that the water pump that caught fire, precisely the connectors, I wonder the cause and if there is someone who had the same problem as me, as an indication the car has traveled 120K thousand I imported it from the United States currently it is in Morocco

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard of this problem on the Energi itself, but fires caused by failed parts are not uncommon on just about any brand of car. I'm guessing the previous owner(s) did not maintain the car too well during the 120,000 miles the car was driven in the USA. Salt corrosion and other wear-and-tear conditions will take their toll on any car and if they aren't addressed in time, disaster ensues. 

As much as I like this car, I honestly would not grey-import it into a nation where such cars are not popular, due to difficulty of repairing and getting replacement parts. Japanese cars are dominant in the Middle East and Africa for a reason!

• 9 months later...

The Fusion/Mondeo is sold just about everywhere around the world. US-specific parts could easily be ordered off the internet. The hybrid/energi electric pump, ironically, is German-made. I'm sure you could drive over to Spain to get many of the parts, and any mechanic worth their salt can work on it, if they like money anyway.

Sorry for the trouble. I'd be interested to hear the end outcome. Also curious why the fuse didn't blow if it go hot enough to melt wires.