Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2020 Ford Escape PHEV, 14.4 kWh/30+ EV miles, FWD only

jj2me

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/02/2020-ford-escape-redesign-revealed-hybrid-phev/

From the article:

•  "refreshed 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that runs on the Atkinson cycle"
  • "the "target" is officially 30-plus miles [on EV]"
  • "14.4 kWh battery pack that tucks under the rear seats. The floor is a tad higher "
  • "a system-combined 209 horsepower with the same 153 pound-feet"
  • "will reach a full charge on a Level 2 charger in about 3.5 hours"
  • a fourth EV mode: ""EV Charge" allows you to charge the battery while driving"
  • FWD only: "won't be able to opt for on the Plug-In is all-wheel drive"
  • Available "in spring 2020"

Yeah, looks like a good replacement for our '07 Escape Hybrid.  If I can just convince the wife to switch ;-)

I'm more interested in the Explorer PHEV they just announced.  So far, they've only announced it for Europe, but I'm pretty sure at some point it will be available in the US.  LOVE the towing capacity!

https://insideevs.com/ford-explorer-phev-specs-images-videos/

• up to 40 km (25 miles) of all-electric range
  • 13.1 kWh lithium-ion battery
  • all-wheel drive
  • system output of 450 PS and 840 Nm of torque (3.0‑litre EcoBoost petrol engine, 10-speed automatic transmission and 100 PS/ 75 kW electric motor)
  • 2,500 kg (5,511 lbs) of towing capacity
  • 7-seats (2+3+2)

Interestingly, the electric motor is actually smaller than the one in our Fusions (118 PS/ 88kW).  The limiting factor in the Fusion is the battery output, not the motor capacity.

I'm surprised that Ford even bothers exporting such a large vehicle to Europe. Their roads and parking spaces are not friendly to that vehicle class. That's why BMW and Mercedes assemble all their large SUVs in the USA rather than in Germany.

Also excited for the Escape PHEV - I might trade in my 2015 Escape when 1 year old ex-fleet/lease vehicles hit the market with the tax credit factored into depreciation :P The all-LCD cluster and improved CoPilot tech are very enticing.

Unlike GM and Tesla Ford hasn't hit the tax credit cap yet so bring 'em on!

Seems Ford will only do what it the minimum required to either: meet the gov't mandate, or match the competition.  In this case the 31 miles is to meet the European PHEV mandate of 50km (31 mi) on electric only. 

The battery "tucks up underneath the back seats" where my old Escape hybrid NiMH battery took up the whole cargo area floor.  Clearly they could make it bigger if they wanted to, but that would increase price as well which is always a double-edged sword.

Seems Ford will only do what it the minimum required to either: meet the gov't mandate, or match the competition.  In this case the 31 miles is to meet the European PHEV mandate of 50km (31 mi) on electric only. 

The battery "tucks up underneath the back seats" where my old Escape hybrid NiMH battery took up the whole cargo area floor.  Clearly they could make it bigger if they wanted to, but that would increase price as well which is always a double-edged sword.

They aren't meeting the competition.  The 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV is rated at 47 miles.  My friend has one and gets over 50 miles.

They aren't meeting the competition.  The 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV is rated at 47 miles.  My friend has one and gets over 50 miles.

Maybe I didn't word it quite as clearly as I could have.  I meant to meet the minimum of the competition.  When Prime came out at 25 miles, suddenly the Energi was the worst performer in the pack (not counting the European ~12 mile offerings).  Just as suddenly, Ford upgraded the Fusion to 26 miles.

• 4 weeks later...

I find Ford's "advances" unimpressive, range increases are very lacking.

Not only are the range increases lacking, the drop-off of EV efficiency (mi./kWh) is a lot greater going from Fusion to Escape or Explorer.

Taking the 2018 FFE as the base, the
- Escape is anywhere from 19 - 30% less efficient than the FFE.  Maybe worse.
- Explorer is anywhere from 34 - 43% less efficient than the FFE.

2018 Fusion* = 22/5.6 = 3.93 mi./kWh
2020 Escape** = 34/12.4*** to 34/10.61**** = 2.74 to 3.20 mi./kWh
2020 Explorer = 25/11.1*** to 25/9.65**** = 2.25 to 2.59 mi./kWh

Footnotes in the

* The last model year for which we know the figures for EV fill-up (5.6 kWh) and hybrid and safety reserves (2.0 kWh).

** Giving the Escape the benefit of the doubt by assuming the advertised "30-plus miles" is 34 miles. If 30 mi./kWh is to be the final figure, the Escape only gets 2.42 to 2.82 mi./kWh, which gives it worse efficiency relative to the FFE, namely 28% to 38% less efficient,

*** Assuming reserves are 2.0 kWh just like the earlier Fusions.

**** Assuming reserves (safety + hybrid) are proportionally bigger than the earlier Fusions, namely, for the Escape, 
- Escape proportionial reserve = 2.0 kWh * (14.4/7.6) = 2.0 * 1.89 = 3.79 kWh reserve
- Explorer proportional reserve = 2.0 kWh * (13.1/7.6) = 2.0 * 1.72 = 3.45 kWh reserve

There's nothing like that kind of drop-off in efficiency in gas models with the same gas engines.  For example, here's the EPA combined mpg of the 2019 FWD versions of these three vehicles,  with the biggest difference being 9%.

2.5L engine:
- 2019 Fusion: 25 mpg
- 2019 Escape: 24 mpg

2.0L engine:
- 2019 Fusion: 23 mpg 
- 2019 Escape: 25 mpg

1.5L engine:
- 2019 Fusion: 27 mpg
- 2019 Escape: 26 mpg

Even this unfair Explorer comparison of different engines shows no great efficiency difference:
2.3L Explorer: 22 mpg
3.5L Explorer: 20 mpg

Why varying efficiencies on EV?  Maybe the lesser momentum of EVs (less moving parts in the drivetrain) make EVs more susceptible to aerodynamic drag and weight?  Maybe thermal efficiency also plays a role?  Regen braking is frictionless and mimics the ICE's backpressure, so I'm not yet seeing how that would be a factor.

Strange.  We didn't see this level of difference in the C-Max vs. the FFE.  Might this be the new normal when shopping for EVs, where we need to pay more attention to efficiency reductions based on some as-yet unidentified factors (like maybe aerodynamic drag, weight, motor output, ...)?

I suspect that the battery buffer is proportionally larger with the larger battery.  This is because 2.0kWh is 25% of the Fusion, where it would be 13-15% of the larger batteries.  The Fusion's battery is already at its limits with 25% reserve.

My take is that ICE's have plenty of extra power available such that a bigger, heavier car is only a slight increase in fuel consumption (already inefficient, just a little more so when pushed a little harder), whereas the EV motor has more to lose when pushing a larger, heavier vehicle.

The good news is that both of these vehicles are as good or better than the E-Tron and I-Pace in terms of mi/kWh.

• 6 months later...

post-1049-0-73228600-1574478609_thumb.jp post-1049-0-52879700-1574478629_thumb.jp post-1049-0-13978400-1574478648_thumb.jp post-1049-0-39024000-1574478506_thumb.jp

Well I took a test drive in a 2020 FEH Titanium White and got 56 mpg / 3 miles city.  The Display isn't user friendly and is going to take sometime to get use too.  It accelerates very good, spun tires on wet road and EV seems stronger than CMAX.  Handling was close to CMAX and the BridgeStones Ecopia 225/55-19 were set at 33 psi and Max is 40 psi. kind of low compared to Michelin ES 51 psi Max.  Heated steering wheel and seats. They want me to come back and test it on the FWY tomorrow, 45 min. each way we will see. Any body interested in anything special I need to look for?

Paul

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a price sheet from trying to order a FEH Plugin and we are tring g to order it. I will know in next couple of days if it goes through.? 

Well I heard back from My FORD Sales Manager and it sound like I can  sign the order form next week to make it official and should have build date in the next two to three weeks.?

Paul

Paul Jones - A true FORD man!
2013 Ford C-MAX SEL
2013 Ford Explorer Limited EcoBoost
163299.png

Current Record:  12/30/2014  902.2 mi.  63.8 mpg  14.13  gal. (Actual GPS:  922 mi.  68.3 mpg  13.5 gal.)

FEHPI.jpg

post-143-0-57967400-1574280355_thumb.jpg           FEHPI.thumb.jpg.9a99cafed08d4519612ecd2b03ada306.jpg

The FEH you are showing is the SE model and my Quote is for a Titanium which is a better deal. Here is the comparison between Titanium FEH and PHVB. 

FEH Titanium is $33,495 w/block heater  and FEPHEV Titanium is $40125 a difference of $6630. So if I can get $6000 FIT Credit the difference would be $630. Then there is a FORD Private offer of $1250 and then the X Plan of $1400 =$2650 subtract from $40125 =$37475 - FIT $6000=$31475. That's not much more than my CMAX Hybrid cost 7 yrs ago.

Paul

On 1/28/2020 at 3:01 PM, ptjones said:

Does anyone have an Idea how much the FED Tax rebate would be on the 2020 FORD Escape Plugin? 

Paul

Correction: By my calculations it would be $6670.  This is based on 14 kWh and the formula on the IRS website:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-30d-new-qualified-plug-in-electric-drive-motor-vehicle-credit

Edited by jsamp
I originally used the battery size from the Explorer PHEV not Escape.  Fixed above.

22 hours ago, ptjones said:

I was suppose to get a call from my Dealer this past week to make my order official.  What kind of paper work did you get?  Did they give you a final price?

Paul

Talk to my Dealer today and My FEH plugin is on order, it won't be ready till sometime in May.image.gif.c1b0ca41377a4846cf77ecf39af6ab3b.gif I may have to buy a used 2017 CMAX Plugin, not sure how much longer my CMAX Hybrid is going to last with 247K miles, power steering hasn't been coming on every time. I have to shut it off and try again and it works.

Paul