Ford Fusion Energi Forum

New Charge Cable storage ideas

Fgolman

I just replaced my OEM charge cable due to the recall.

Although the new one is quite nice it doesn't have an integrated cable spool design. It's just the control box and the charging head. So, my question, given that it sort of fits into the (also factory replacement) storage area under the load floor, does anyone have any ideas as to how to coil the cable more neatly now?

Thanks!

I just replaced my OEM charge cable due to the recall.

Although the new one is quite nice it doesn't have an integrated cable spool design. It's just the control box and the charging head. So, my question, given that it sort of fits into the (also factory replacement) storage area under the load floor, does anyone have any ideas as to how to coil the cable more neatly now?

Thanks!

Is the unit the same size as the old one?  It's possible you could go back to the dealer and ask for the piece back.  It snaps on and off of the unit.

BTW: thanks for the heads-up.  I'll take my old cord wrap off my unit before taking it in this week for a new one.

Edited by jsamp

I got the new one, its very rectangular now.  They took the old one and said they are sending it back to Ford.  I mount mine to the wall as I use it every night.  And they give you a replacement foam piece for the trunk since it's different dimensions.

Can you post a photograph of the new one?  My dealer is apparently having trouble getting me the new one.  10 days and counting.

When I saw your picture, I had to do a double-take.  It looked so familiar.  Seems Ford is buying from AmazingE (or they're both buying from the same place.)  Take a look:

AmazingE-EV-charging-station-500x500.jpg

Funny thing is that the AmazingE is only 240V with a NEMA14-30 plug.  The Ford version is 120V.

The good news is that the AmazingE says it is made in Warren, Ohio using Clipper Creek technology, so no cheap imported junk.

Edited by jsamp

When I saw your picture, I had to do a double-take.  It looked so familiar.  Seems Ford is buying from AmazingE (or they're both buying from the same place.)  Take a look:

Funny thing is that the AmazingE is only 240V with a NEMA14-30 plug.  The Ford version is 120V.

The good news is that the AmazingE says it is made in Warren, Ohio using Clipper Creek technology, so no cheap imported junk.

https://ideafab.shop/products/level-2-upgrade-adapter-220-240v-for-ford-c-max-fusion-energi-new-style-only?variant=22321361682480&utm_campaign=gs-2019-03-04&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

They sale a1,6,15,,20 foot cable with different nema ends the imply the charger will take 220v I believe Ford is just be careful.

Interesting, but I thought it was illegal to make an adapter that would accept 240V input and output it to a NEMA 5 socket.  Anyone could plug a 120V appliance to it and fry it (or themselves).

Really interesting they do not sell the supply 220v cable by it self and they only sell  a 220v version. 

Really interesting they do not sell the supply 220v cable by it self and they only sell  a 220v version. 

That fact plus your above link where they guy sells converter cables tells me that the new Ford one IS a rebranded AmazingE just with a 5-15 plug on it.  If you were to put a 240V plug on it, I'd bet it would function just like the 240V version.

Jsamp

Thats what the guy with the cables is saying however watch this you true video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydFKV3zJMzA

Ford does have thermal protection are there 110v version at 3:21 in the video he point this out. but does indicate there is nothing in the unit to stop you from using 110v on the 220v unit. I may build that cable this weekend and try.

I realize that's what he was doing, I was merely concerned with the fact that he was selling such an item that violates the electric code.  

The question for us is: will our 120V version work on 240V.  When you do your test, let us know.  I get my new recall replacement unit on Monday, so I'll open it up to see if/how it differs from the AmazingE one.

Update built my own table less than $55.20 plugged it in it works fine. Vehicle has been charging for about an hour using a laser temperature device I checked the main connectors going into the actual charger they were between 77 to 78 degrees and the body of the charger vary abit between 89 to 96 degrees current temperature here at 11:40 in Arizona was 77 degrees hope this helps watch that video when the gentleman opens up the normal version of The Amazing e charger

So I got my new EVSE Monday.  First warning was that the service paperwork listed it as "GFCI integrate".  I get it home, plug it in, and get a fault light.  Says it does not have a proper ground (Grrrrr).  So I spend a day and a half pulling sheetrock off the wall to put a ground in on the outlet (old house, knob and tube wiring).  So now it is working. 

I also opened up the EVSE unit to compare it to the above linked AmazingE Youtube review and it is nearly identical.  My PCB says Ver 4.0 where his is 5.1, but everything looks the same.  I'll have to compare pic-by-pic to see if I can notice the difference.  The one thing I did see is that the 120V plug does have the extra wires that go to the Therm1 and Therm2 holes on the PCB which I understand is why this whole recall was needed in the first place.

With 68MustangJim's confirmation that it works on 240V I just might make myself an adapter as well for that odd time when you have 240V available to you.

I did build one with dryer and try and it does work. The thermal protection should not be an issue just don't cut original plug. The other video confirms that in the none ford version the 4th pin Interestingly, the ONLY difference between the NEMA 14-30 and NEMA 14-50 is the shape of the neutral blade. 240V EVSEs typically do NOT use the neutral, and in the instruction manuals of this one it’s specifically stated that the neutral is NOT used. Because of that, a person could actually CUT OFF the neutral pin and then have a plug compatible with both 14-30 and 14-50 outlets! I made mine with dryer cable 10-30 you can also use 14-30 14-50 plug but Amazing will only provide 16 amp at most.

68mustangjim,

Did you have any success with yours, even after removing some of the ends?

I mean, I couldn't get it so everything was flush with the deck partly due to the SAE connection end that's a bit higher than it's own pocket.

Luckily they're cheap and I don't mind that one (of three) is now sitting in recycling.