Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Trans fluid change

zippoking

I had this done at a dealer that has good prices generally for $140 out the door w/ $10 off service coupon.  I'm only at 60k miles but I want to keep this car a long time so was being proactive.  They said the oil looked really clean.  10 quarts on the invoice.  Also it's apparently more complicated than the regular hybrid, they hadn't done many if any Energi's yet.  Another dealer quoted as high as $280!  No flush, just a drain and fill as recommended by Ford, which I think makes sense if you do it early enough. 

150k that the manual recommends seems way too long to wait, but who knows.  I tend to think the interval is extended to lower the "5 year cost of ownership" price that you often see for comparison shopping on new cars.

• 7 months later...

I just did a used oil analysis of my trans fluid with 120k. It's lubricating properties were passable, but only just barely. Shearing of the viscosity improvers absolutely is a factor. Further, the stators can get quite hot when in EV mode, so thermal breakdown is a factor as much as age. If you plan to get rid of the car in the next 30-50k, I'd say don't worry about it. If you're going to drive the wheels off it, then I think ~60k trans fluid interval is wise. Keep in mind, the failure point of our transmissions is going to be the bearings for the generator or traction rotors. Clutches or not, valves or not, all transmissions have bearings and bearings do fail.

That said $140 out the door is a pretty good deal. 5qts of Mercon LV is ~$35. Any more than $140, I'd say do it yourself. It's almost as easy as an engine oil change if you have a 1 gallon tank sprayer from the garden section of Home Depot. Just remove the nozzle on the end. Hell, you might not even have to remove the wheel.

Edited by 16vjohn