Ford Fusion Energi Forum

HVB cooling fan stays running

smokewagon

all,

Recently my 2013 energi has a problem, the HVB cooling fan in the trunk stays running until the 12v battery is dead.

The only way to stop it is pull the fuse in the underhood box.

The car is cold, not been driven, not plugged in.

Some times the fan changes speeds form low to high.

If I open the trunk it will stop for a few seconds then start running again.

I pulled the 12v battery cable to reset and the issue went away for about a week but then returned.

car has 65k miles and have not had a single problem with it, other than a couple recalls [airbag, seatbelt tensioner,]

Any ideas?

In the trunk directly towards the front of the car and above the 12 volt battery you will find several wires that are probably laying on top of the sharp edge of a metal panel.  There were reports years ago of these wires having the insulation rubbed through and causing fan problems.  At that time I wrapped mine in a thick layer of soft foam to keep them away from the metal edge.  If that is the problem just separating them from each other and the metal edge should solve the problem.

In the trunk directly towards the front of the car and above the 12 volt battery you will find several wires that are probably laying on top of the sharp edge of a metal panel.  There were reports years ago of these wires having the insulation rubbed through and causing fan problems.  At that time I wrapped mine in a thick layer of soft foam to keep them away from the metal edge.  If that is the problem just separating them from each other and the metal edge should solve the problem.

Thanks for the tip.  I checked mine and while they weren't rubbing, they were close.  I pulled a little more slack to give some distance between the wires and metal edge.

I checked the wires in the trunk by the 12v battery, while i didn't see any chaffing or shorts it appeared the harness was pull from the plastic holding clip so I rearranged it.

Also I put my reader on it but got no codes, I am going to borrow a better one and try. i'll let you know.

thanks for the ideas.

smokewagon

• 1 month later...

Any resolution on this issue you were having?

I checked the wires in the trunk by the 12v battery, while i didn't see any chaffing or shorts it appeared the harness was pull from the plastic holding clip so I rearranged it.

Also I put my reader on it but got no codes, I am going to borrow a better one and try. i'll let you know.

thanks for the ideas.

smokewagon

• 1 year later...

I am troubleshooting a similar problem with P0A81 code (P0A81 - Hybrid Battery Pack Cooling Fan 1 Control Circuit/Open)

It seems to me like a stuck relay would be the issue, but I don't know where the relay is located

Battery cooling blower assembly power is supplied when the FCTL terminal of the power management control ECU turns on the battery blower relay.

Anyone know where the relay is located?  Thanks.

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p0a81.html

Forward of and above the 12 volt battery is a very thin metal panel.  Wires cross over the top of this panel.  If they are laying on top of the panel vibration can wear through the insulation. I long ago installed a large block of foam to keep the wires from touching the metal panel.  I have forgotten what the symptoms of a short here is mainly because I took care of it before my wires were worn through.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

6 weeks later and the codes aren't going away. I've tried several things, leading me to believe that the fan actually runs, maybe just when plugged in, not sure. I moved the connector from the right fan into the plug for the left (barely reached), fan does run but apparently either 1. the right fan doesn't have a speed signal or 2. the speed monitoring circuit in the Battery Energy Control Module is bad. Dealerships not really interested in helping other than taking my money.

I've exhausted my troubleshooting ability without more information, like the pinouts at the connectors.

• 1 year later...

I am having a similar problem with my Ford Fusion 2016 Titanium Energi, which I started this past week.... I just got it jump started and when I went out to check the car an hour or so later, it was off, but I heard the same sound that I did a few days ago on a 5 minute drive, after which my 12V was dead 2 days after. The sound is like a running fan (sounded a little more watery the prior time, but seems connected / similar enough). It's a noise that I generally don't hear while driving, and hadn't noticed when turned off until last week. I just started it again, and will order a pizza or something, and pick it up. I haven't investigated the foam insertion to seperate wires solutions described in this thread, but appreaciate them, will try to do that in the light of day tomorrow, hopefully it will still be drive ready at that time. We shall see.... thanks for the tips though, regardless

• 2 months later...

I have the same exact problem with my 2014 Fusion Energi Titanium with the trunk area fan noise after shutting it off and a dead battery a few hours later, even after replacing it 2x.

Does anyone know if the above suggestions actually solved the problem for them, or was a dealership/electrical shop and lots of $$$$ needed to fix it?

I looked in the Trunk/Battery area and the cables are not near any metal tabs.
They and show no signs of chaffing through the insulation like in the photos above.

I decided to re-wrap them in thick electrical tape just to be sure, but still no luck.

When I have the codes read, they say nothing is wrong.

It's nerve racking to never know if the car is going to allow us to start it after it sits for a few hours.
Sometimes we are not near a place where we can plug in the battery tender so we know it will start. 

Like today, my wife got stuck in the rain after Church because the 12V battery was dead after less than 2 hours.

It's a brand new battery, less than a month old and was fully charged when we had it installed.

• 9 months later...