Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Fusion Energi Trunk Room

PlugMeIn

As we were waiting for the car, due to the lack of photography of the trunk, we grew wearisome of the trunk size and debated changing to the regular hybrid for that reason, but upon inspection during delivery, our fears were alleviated. Though its not huge by any stretch, it is sizeable enough for a few carryons during travel, and not a problem at all for daily trips, errands, and groceries.

The trunk is certainly small. I tried to put 2 standard-size carry-ons into it, and couldn't quite make them fit. One standard carry-on left enough room for 2 or 3 backpacks, so the cubic inches are there, but not the linear dimensions. Haven't gone grocery shopping in the car yet, but I estimate 6 bags should fit in the trunk.

But put both rear seats down and you get another 23 cubic feet -- 2’ x 2.5' x 4.5'. Looks like 4 standard-size carry-ons should fit, maybe 5 if you squeeze the doors shut slowly.

I have made my first Ikea run in the car, and everything fit. But it was a smallish package. For a large Ikea box, we would have to have taken the Prius.

The trunk is certainly small. I tried to put 2 standard-size carry-ons into it, and couldn't quite make them fit. One standard carry-on left enough room for 2 or 3 backpacks, so the cubic inches are there, but not the linear dimensions. Haven't gone grocery shopping in the car yet, but I estimate 6 bags should fit in the trunk.

But put both rear seats down and you get another 23 cubic feet -- 2’ x 2.5' x 4.5'. Looks like 4 standard-size carry-ons should fit, maybe 5 if you squeeze the doors shut slowly.

I have made my first Ikea run in the car, and everything fit. But it was a smallish package. For a large Ikea box, we would have to have taken the Prius.

Lol, I haven't taken an ikea run in awhile, but last time I did, I had to call in my brother and his Excursion to rescue me! I can't think of much from ikea that would fit, other than some decor and utensils and such, but the "Hybrid-Only" parking spaces are tempting!

• 1 year later...

What are the dimensions of the trunk area before the battery shelf? Specifically, the square inches? I tried searching online but all I could find are reports of the cubic feet, not the square inches & dimensions of the floor space before the battery limits trunk height.

And, could one of the mods perhaps fix the title of this thread?

Thanks!

Edited by Hybridbear

What are the dimensions of the trunk area before the battery shelf? Specifically, the square inches? I tried searching online but all I could find are reports of the cubic feet, not the square inches & dimensions of the floor space before the battery limits trunk height.

Title fixed.  Will get the tape measure and go check my car and report back.

Here are a couple annotated pics, with two disclaimers:

1 - This is a 2013 Energi. I doubt that the size of the 2014 or 2015 models are really different but please note that this is a 2013, in case there are slight differences.

2 - Measurements are approximate as I took a tape measure and noted the results to the closest 1/2".

Energi_Trunk_Dimensions_zpsf76dc793.jpg

Energi_Trunk_Dimensions_2_zpsdaeb2cbd.jp

Thanks!

FYI: [one cubic foot to inches 12" x 12" x 12" ] 1728 cu" x 8 .5 ft3 = 14,688 cu"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I have a '15 Escape for camping trips, hauling furniture, etc but the Energi's trunk has been more useful than I expected. It's definitely adequate for my groceries - in fact that tall battery is actually an advantage here because it keeps stuff from sliding around and removes the need for a cargo net.

If I'm going on a road trip with no more than 1 other passenger, the trunk can take two carry-on roller luggages (the kind that barely fit in airline overhead bins) and two personal backpacks, and still have room to squeeze in small loose items.

Folding down the back seats also takes care of many problems (would not recommend this in areas with high rates of break-ins though). I can carry four tires in the back seat.

My advice to those who are on the fence because of trunk space - consider what % of your use cases would require a more sizable trunk, especially if you live in an area where access to rental cars is easy or where delivery services are plentiful/affordable. For example, if you can get by with the small trunk 99% of the time, then buy the Energi and for the other 1% of use cases (e.g. family coming to visit, annual camping trip), rent an SUV/minivan. Get new furniture delivered by truck instead of driving it home by yourself. Large electronics like TV sets often have free delivery as well. Even though those alternatives cost money, you'll likely still be ahead due to gas savings, and if not, that is a small price to pay for having fun.

This advice actually comes from a friend who owns an even less practical vehicle (Subaru BRZ) as his only car. He is able to have loads of fun 99% of the time, and he lives 3 miles away from Enterprise, which means Enterprise actually picks him up for free during the rare occasion that he needs to rent a more practical car. As my friend says, don't let 1% of your use cases dictate the purchase!

Of course not everyone lives in a large metro area with such conveniences, and in these scenarios, I probably would recommending crossing the Energi off the list if trunk space is a concern (unless you own a second vehicle).