Ford Fusion Energi Forum

HOW TO: use an OEMFord donut spare wheel with a Fusion Energi - and a Good Deal available.

FusionDad

Folks,

Having had two blowouts on the highway with my Energi, I focused and finally cracked the nut on how to use an OEMFord Fusion donut wheel and not be stuck on the highway anymore.

Description of my solution follows, as well as an offer to anyone also trying to solve this problem.

Solution:  add a hub-centric spaces with integral wheel studs, as well as a 3mm press-fit spacer.

HOW:  one hub-centric spacer + one 3mm generic flat spacer.  This combination of spacers makes the inside of the OEM Fusion donut clear the extra-large Energi REAR WHEEL calipers while preserving the recommended wheel bolt thread depths for safe use.

IMPLEMENTATION: 
1.  ALWAYS put the donut on the rear wheel, no matter where the blown tire is... keep reading.
2.  remove the blown wheel (if a blowout is on the rear wheel) or a good rear wheel (to replace the blown front wheel).
3.  put on the generic 3mm spacer (this prevents the OEM wheel bolts from protruding through the hub-centric spacer and bottoming out inside the donut wheel).
4.  bolt on the hub-centric spacer using its half-height lugs on the OEM wheel bolts inside the recessed machined spaces. 
5.  bolt on the OEM Fusion donut wheel onto the hub-centric spacer's wheel bolts, using the OEM wheel lugs.
6.  (optional) swap the damaged front wheel with the good rear wheel you just took off.

GOOD DEAL: I have the spacers bolted to my Fusion donut for travel storage.  Both the hub-centric spacers and the press-fit thin spacers came in pairs... so I have an extra set of the wide hub-centric spacer with its additional bolts and half-height lugs, and the generic 3mm spacer.  If you need this solution, PM me... all you need other than these two spacers is a normal OEM Fusion donut (I got a brand new one off E-Bay for $68) and a Ford Fusion jack and of course a lug tool.  I recommend a Billy Club by PowerBuilt which will fit any car's bolt lugs.

Hope this is useful for someone out there.

• 11 months later...

I am the original poster.  I bought spacers on E-Bay and on Amazon until I hit the right thickness.  Trial and error.  The spacer lug hole pattern must match the Fusion's lug pattern... if I remember correctly,  5 x 108mm.

For all - I sold my Fusion Energi and kept my Fusion donut wheel and spacer.  Anyone out there wants it, PM me pls.