Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sulfur smell after charging

DozerCSX

Greetings Energi Team,

I own a 2020 Fusion PHEV Hy-Ti with about 7000 miles on it

So, I have been using a home 12v charger at 2 amps for a few days to increase charge on my 12v battery (please see my other thread on this) - it appears to be working - The Sleep mode has left, and things appear to be working great.

***However*** I now detect a faint sulfur smell in the cabin when I go to drive it after a standard high voltage wall charge. I can smell it both in the cabin and in the trunk area. When I roll down the windows for a few moments, it’s gone and doesn’t return until a future HV charge session. it doesn’t happen all the time, perhaps only every 3rd time, but it is a noticeable odor, and it’s strongest in the cabin.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? What do you think it could be?

Insights greatly appreciated…

Edited by DozerCSX
Additional info

Thanks! Will check when wife gets home...

One more thing - I get a free charge in the afternoon from my work - when it finished, the smell returned so I physically checked the 12v battery; I touched the top of the battery and it was verry warm to the touch, you could even call it hot. Would that be considered unusual?

I don't know.  6 months after I got my 2013 Energi I removed the wet cell lead acid battery and replaced it with an AGM battery.  That required removal of the battery tray so the end could be removed with a saw.  There may be an AGM battery by now that fits.  I no longer have the car.  It was traded in on a 2021 Mustang Mach-E.

• 2 months later...

End of story: the battery that came in the Fusion Energi was 100% DEAD! When the service guys ran the test, the amps shown was 0.0!  They replaced the battery under warranty and the car is better than ever - no more "sleep" screens, and everything works pretty much as it's supposed to. This experience tells me that (1) if a Fusion Energi sits on the dealer lot too long, it can kill the 12v battery - have them check it! and (2) the electrical charging system is amazingly flexible and durable - the car was working when the battery was essentially DEAD!

Sulfur smell is the key - if you smell sulfur in the trunk or cabin, time to get a new 12v battery!

p.s. it was a standard 12v lead acid battery, not an AGM, and they replaced it with a lead acid. Should be OK though.

Edited by DozerCSX

The problem with a wet cell lead acid battery is if it gets discharged the battery is permanently damaged.  Material flakes off of the plates and collects at the bottom of the cell.  If the pile of debris reaches the bottom of the plates it shorts out the cell.

My Mustang Mach-E came with an AGM battery.