Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Adaptive Cruise

Rhyalus

Just wanted to post that this feature works really well.

I tried it out today on a 55 MPH speed limit suburban road with periodic traffic lights.

I did not test out what happens with a full brake situation, but the adaptive cruise is so smooth that I did not realize that it was adjusting.  I had set it for 55 but realized that I was only doing 45 or so because the guy in the right lane ahead of me was going slowly.

When I pulled out to the left lane there was slow and smooth acceleration to the speed limit.

Very cool.  More personal testing is needed to get comfortable with it, but I am pleased that I selected it.

R

The other thing I love about the cruise control is that it accelerates so much better than I do. Smooth and efficient when it is in ECO mode.  For the first week or so that I had it I would often brake before I the car would, even set to 3 bars. Not I have gotten more comfortable (although I still tend to hover my foot over the brake). 

In my opinion, one of the best features of the car. 

I have ACC and I think it is a great feature. I first learned about it when I bought my wife's 2013 Explorer Limited. I liked it so much that I decided to add it to my 2013 FFE order. I didn't get the special order, becuase it was taking too long, but the one I got from stock was equipped exactly as the one I had ordered (only black instead of sterling gray!). 

I use ACC and the Lane Keep Assist everytime I get on the highway.

Regards,
APM

I'm a cruise control junkie on the expressway... and the funny thing is, even though I poke along in the slow lane, there are still drivers even slower than I am.  I'm looking forward to not having to stop cruise, get around them, and resume.  It'll be all automatic now.  It'll be even better if they vary their speeds (going uphill, downhill, etc) and I won't have to keep adjusting.

Active City stop is the name for a European feature when it takes the car from 25 MPH to a stop if there is an obstruction (car, etc) in front of you. So Adaptive Cruise Control slows you from cruise to the magic speed and then Active City Stop takes over to bring you to a full stop. Not sure why they didn't just give you both here in the US.

All bless the tubes:

Only issue I see with that is if it false alarms.  There have already been 2 examples of the collision warning with brake support false alarming from people here.  If your car just stops for no apparent reason, I can see potential for a rear end collision from the car that stopped suddenly and for no apparent reason.

• 1 month later...

Is the 2014 feature of ACC with Brake Assist the same as "City Stop" in the rest of world? On what vehicle did you see the demo? Thx

The ACC on the Fusion only brakes down to 15 mph, then sounds a chime and turns the braking over to the driver.

The City Stop system Ford uses in Europe is intended for city driving at lower speeds and will do full braking.

The only thing preventing the use of that system in the US is our litigious society.

Only issue I see with that is if it false alarms.  There have already been 2 examples of the collision warning with brake support false alarming from people here.  If your car just stops for no apparent reason, I can see potential for a rear end collision from the car that stopped suddenly and for no apparent reason.

Collision warning as implemented in the Fusion will not automatically brake the car, but the ACC system will auto brake down to 15 mph. Pressing the gas will override the ACC auto braking.

I was referring to the City Stop.

Ok, I thought you were referring to the collision warning system.  I wished we did have City Stop here in the US, it seems like a great system. 

The City Stop system doesn't provide any warning signals however, it just does its thing automatically as a last resort. The lack of a warning signal is intentional so drivers don't become reliant on it.  City Stop uses a totally different technology to detect collisions than what we have on our cars and only works up to 30km/h, roughly 19mph, so its only for slow environments.

Some vehicles already have technology like that onboard here in the US.  I remember seeing commercials about it, but I can't remember at all what automaker offers it... I keep thinking it's an import, but I'm pretty bad at 50/50 chances (I usually lose) :).  Either way, the system is intended to reduce accidents from rear end collisions.  However, if the sensors are blocked, or maybe something like a large bird flies in front of you... what's the criteria for it to activate or disable itself?

Even with all of these new driver assistant technologies... in 2014, I'd like to see a study of the number of car accidents with model year 2013 vehicles or newer that are equipped with that tech to see if it truly shows accident reduction results.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested in hearing what drivers in CA with ACC think of it.  I can see freeway traffic around here completely foiling the ACC system.  

If you leave more than 40 feet between you and the car in front of you, some bozo will take it.  If the ACC system senses that bozo, and slows down accordingly, another 40+ feet will open up and the next bozo will come along.  This cycle will repeat until you are down to 15mph and the system shuts off, or until someone runs you off the road for going too slow.