Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Loud clunk/bang and lurch/shift when coasting after acceleration and/or braking.

FireFighterHill

I have a 2014 C-Max Energi SEL with 89k miles. I am located in North Florida near Jacksonville. I bought it recently from a county auction. It was previously used as a Probation Officers car. The Service history was up to date and it looked great inside and out. Well after driving it in stop and go traffic it started doing this thing where it almost feels like the electric motor is loading up the drive train and then instantly unloading. This makes a very loud clunk or bang noise and causes the car to lurch or shift as if something with alot of mass or inertia just moved or shifted. It typically does this when you are coasting after you just accelerated from a stop or if you go from acceleration to hard braking, like you do in stop and go traffic. It doesn't do it all the time, but its fairly consistent to the point I can almost predict when it will happen. The only way I've found to prevent it, is to shift the car into neutral and then back into drive once I'm stopped or need to accelerate again.

Ive replaced both the top passenger side motor mount, as well as the bottom torque mount. This had little to no affect on the issue.

I have not serviced the transmission fluid as I have an appointment with the Dealer for this Friday and wanted the dealer to diagnose the problem under the 8 year 100,000 mile hybrid warranty.

Has anyone had this same issue?

Would this be covered under the TSB for noise and problems with the Transfer shaft and HF35 transmission bearings?

Has anyone had trouble getting Ford or the Dealer to honor the extended Hybrid warranty?

If so what steps did you take to get them to honor the extended hybrid component warranty?