Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Tesla Model 3

FusionEnergi

Yep, I had to bring it up. The upcoming Model 3.

With a 200mile range and a price under $40k.

If it would have been available when I was looking I may have chosen the Tesla.

For it to work I need lots of headroom, backup cam, parking sensors, and memory seat positions.

If its not all that, I probably will get the 150mile leaf if seat positions becomes an option . Although safety would be a concern in a small vehicle. Tesla has excellent crash test ratings.

A used model S may also be an option.

Trying to take care of the Camry till then, and I am so looking forward to not having to get stinky nauseous gasoline other than about once a year in the Energi.

Edited by FusionEnergi

I hope Tesla offers a 300 mile option.

The vehicle is said to include free supercharging too. I plan on puting a reservation down on one the first day Tesla lets us.

I have been using the teslamotorsclub website and learning all I can, just as I have done here on this excellent forum.

Anyone else interested in one?

Edited by FusionEnergi

I have the FFE, but I'm also interested in the BMW i3 and the Tesla.  The i3 is about the same price as the FFE and we'll see what the Tesla Model 3 is priced at.  I have been a lurker in the BMW i3 forums to see complaints and issues.

It seems as though BMW also has some 12volt battery issues.  Also the i3 "range extender or REX" is like the Chevy Volt, however when you are using the REX in the BMW you severely lose horsepower and climate.  It's a small scooter engine that charges the battery.  Also the REX cars have issues with check engine lights but apparently that's a software bug that they are fixing.  There is a big difference between the REX on the European version and the U.S. version of the car, where the REX turns on earlier in the European model thereby charging the battery sooner and not having the car go to "sluggish" mode, where the U.S. version engages the REX with about 5% battery left.  This was due to carbon credits and apparently greed according to BMW owners.  They are not happy with the REX differences and seem to regret getting that version here in the U.S. because in some cases, the car just slows to a stop.  This is not a "cross country" vehicle as they claim unless you fill the gas tank every hour and want minimal power.

This was a long winded way of saying that I like having the ICE on the FFE because you can treat this car as a "long road trip" vehicle and not have the need for a 2nd vehicle for longer trips, or renting a car.  If I were to purchase the i3, I'd get it without the REX ($4K) option because it isn't very useful and only provides minimal "range anxiety" mitigation.

I think the Tesla is the way to go for the future, all depending on the price point.

Steve

Yep, I had to bring it up. The upcoming Model 3. With a 200mile range and a price under $40k.

I predict that the pricing will follow suit with the Model S, so if you want a 200 mile range you will needed to get the extended range HVB option and I think that tacks on several thousand more.

So I bet the above referenced $40k will end up as $50k+ once the common options are thrown in.  But then again don't most manufacturers do that?

It's a bit early to tell. It will probably take at least 4 years for the Model 3 to come out. A lot can happen during that time. One of the most interesting developments in the near future is that a new generation of less expensive automotive battery cells is about to come out (primarily from Korean manufacturers LG Chem, Samsung and SK), which will reduce or eliminate the price advantage Tesla currently enjoys on the batteries due to using the relatively cheap 18650 cells. By the time Model 3 comes out, we'll probably see a few longer range electric vehicles from other manufacturers as well.

But in general, I have my doubts whether a pure EV will be practical as an "only car" during the next decade. The "superchargers" are nice, but there are still large areas in the US and other countries that are not covered at all, and even if they are, you may have to take long detours to get to a charger. And then it is unclear how scalable the supercharger approach really is as Tesla brings out less expensive cars that will presumably sell a lot more than the Model S. Some of the supercharger sites are already congested on certain days (like the ones on the route between LA and Las Vegas).

So, I think in the near term it's perhaps a better approach to have a smaller and very efficient limited-range EV (along the lines of the BMW i3, but hopefully a bit less expensive) along with an efficient plugin-hybrid (such as the FFE :-)) for long-range travel.

In any case, interesting times. ;-)

Edited by Energitic

I know at some point I will have a Tesla.  Right now the timing is a little off for me.   The lease on my leaf ends October, 2016.  So a little to early for the III.  As much as I love the energi, I will drop it in a heartbeat for the Tesla III if by that time I feel I can use it for all the long distance travel I would need it for.  I wish Ford would get more serious with there pure ev's.  As an early adopter I plan to stick with the early providers like Nissan and Tesla. 

Ford's has BLIS and adaptive cruise... not yet found on the Model S. I test drove one and had a list of questions. Those were the only features on the list it didn't have. Their front and rear object sensors are COOL, showing "inches" to obstruction instead of camera and 3 zones.

Edited by shaggy314

I want a Ford Ranger sized PHEV truck.

I would love an F-150 Energi. :)  Bet that would cost $70,000 though for the top of the line Limited (they can already get up to 50k+).  Can't imagine them dumping in a 7.6kwh battery... I think a minimum 15kwh would be needed.

Edited by Russael

• 3 weeks later...