Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Charging at Outlet in Public Garage without Explicit Permission?

Lightfoot

I am an employee for a very large county in southern California. The county does favor "green" commuting practices, e.g., promoting carpooling, public transportation, offering employee discounts for PHEVs, etc. However, where I work there are no typical electric vehicle charging stations.

Employees park in a parking structure which is also used by the public who presumably have county business in the adjoining civic center. The parking structure appears to be owned by the county or the state insomuch as it is integrated into the civic center and there is a dedication plaque on it listing the name of the county, a dedication date and several politicians. A private contractor is responsible for operating the garage and collecting fees from non-employees who park there. Employees display a parking permit and park for free.

There is what appears to be a standard 120-volt grounded outlet in the parking structure in an area of it normally reserved for employees. It is in a good spot for charging my Fusion Energi without the risk of someone tripping or walking over the charging cord. I would like to use this outlet to charge my car while I'm at work. I would then be 100% EV. (Leaderboard, here I come!)

Do I just plug in or do I attempt to obtain authorization from someone?

It's the county-- a huge bureaucracy-- and getting authorization is likely to result in getting the run-around.

I frequently see people charging their phones, tablets and laptops using outlets in public places, especially at work, within the civic center. It is as though the public has implicit permission to use a publicly available outlet. 

Should I just plug in or should I seek permission and likely get the run-around? I would gladly pay for my electrical usage, but I doubt the county is capable of being responsive to that idea.

Edited by Lightfoot

In your situation, I would be inclined to just do it and ask forgiveness later.  If challenged, though, you really do have to be repentant and not act like a jerk.

My wife asked at her government facility and was told that plugging in was the same as an employee having a personal refrigerator or coffee pot at work, which are allowed.  If you ask, advance the argument that this is "de minimus" use of the county's  electricity, that is, an amount that is too small to spend the effort to try to keep track of.

Charging a car every day does not count as "de minimus", at least in my book.  Plugging in a 7.6 kWh car isn't anywhere near the same scale as plugging in a cell phone that is roughly 1/1000th the capacity. As a taxpayer in Southern California, I shouldn't be subsidizing your car charging if it isn't properly authorized by the county.

If you plug in, keep in mind you may be responsible for any damage or injury that may occur because of this action.

Someone trips over a cord?

You trip a circuit breaker which causes the lights to go out and someone is injured, or other equipment is damaged.  You have no idea what else is on that circuit.

This is by no means the same as charging a cell phone, or computer.  The Energi uses way more power to charge.

Are you willing to assume the risk?  I'd get permission and place the responsibility back on the garage owner.

While I appreciate you going full green for your commute (my lungs, less carbon emissions, etc.) I'd probably mention it to the parking attendant at a minimum.  As a Southern CA taxpayer, I support your green efforts and would much rather subsidize you being green than about 90% of what I am currently subsidizing for John Q. Public :)

• 1 month later...

While I appreciate you going full green for your commute (my lungs, less carbon emissions, etc.) I'd probably mention it to the parking attendant at a minimum.  As a Southern CA taxpayer, I support your green efforts and would much rather subsidize you being green than about 90% of what I am currently subsidizing for John Q. Public :)

Also a Southern CA taxpayer, I don't have a big problem with you plugging in.  One car, one outlet, not a problem.  Once plug-ins get popular enough, maybe the county will install charging stations that charge and charge (cars and money).

I plug in everyday where I work, but I have cleared it with the facilities guys.  I've been doing it for over a year now, and have blown a circuit a couple of times.  There are several other plug-ins there (Volt, Leaf) and we are pretty good now about parking in spaces that are serviced by different circuits so we don't blow the circuit.  After while we figured out the circuits run up the risers, so we can park in the same row on the same floor (horizontal) , but not in the same location on different floors (vertical).   

I also park in other parking garages pretty often and have no problem plugging in in.  I usually go to a distant part of the garage to be less conspicuous.  It's probably not a good thing, but to 'secure' the charger I park the car on the cord.  I put the cord in front of the driver's side front tire and then roll the car forward to secure it.  

Recently I was in a Business Park that actually had two, level II chargers in the parking lot.  The problem is they charge $1.25/hour to plug in (they charge based on how long you are connected, not how long you are putting juice).  Ironically, the parking garage in the business park has open 110v plugs so I just use those.   

Short and sweet: You are stealing. It's less than a $1 each time, but still theft. That said, ask. You will likely be told yes or no; much harder is finding somebody to give an answer. If you are going to be doing on any regular basis, you should ask. Once, it is likely you will easily get away with it, but lets not all get a black eye with 'EV owners stealing electricity.'

There was a county judge actually get called on the fact he was plugging his car at work (courthouse) and it was a STUPIDLY big deal until they found he'd ASKED to pay back at the going rate and not misappropriate county resources (/sigh).

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079826_judge-charged-with-theft-for-plugging-in-chevy-volt-electric-car

Edited by shaggy314

• 4 months later...

Topic is a great example of business opportunities Electricity is an easy value added product. We have charging stations at our business property, a hotel, they are always in use. We plan on adding two more. We also have room for 532 solar panels. Goclarendon.com Patrons of our restaurant like to plug in while they eat. I think it may drive some business in our direction.

Topic is a great example of business opportunities Electricity is an easy value added product. We have charging stations at our business property, a hotel, they are always in use. We plan on adding two more. We also have room for 532 solar panels. Goclarendon.com Patrons of our restaurant like to plug in while they eat. I think it may drive some business in our direction.

Do you charge to use your EVSEs?

There is a WalMart a few miles away from me (a Super WalMart, to be specific) that has a BUNCH (6, I think) Level 2 chargers installed that are free to use.  I usually stop there around once a week and try to stay at least an hour.  I'm sure someone, somewhere is tracking that data.

They have the spots in 2 locations:  one spot is very close to the front; those spots are usually ICEd.  They have 2 other spots further away, which are always open.  They even plowed a little path to them when it snowed. 

I would guess many of you also like to stop and sponsor businesses - especially those that offer free electrons while you shop!

As a side note, there is a McDonald's fairly close to me with a Level 2 charge port, but they charge waaay too much to use it.  No thank you!