Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Lesser Known Features and Functions

Energized

Since this car has so many features, I thought I would start a thread on lesser known features and functions we've run across.  Please add any you may have found.

SMART KEY FEATURE:

1)  If you accidently leave the ignition on and walk away from the vehicle with your SmartKey, the car will honk twice to notify you.

2)  To lock the door from the outside, touch the hash marks on the top right of any exterior door handle*.

*Must have SmartKey in your possession to work.

Edited by Energized

We tested this out and found that if it was left on, and you walked away...it would honk twice at five feet, then again at ten feet. After that it was quiet, and when I was a half block away, my son got in it and drove away. As soon as he put it in drive it honked twice, but that was it.

Great thread idea!

We tested this out and found that if it was left on, and you walked away...it would honk twice at five feet, then again at ten feet. After that it was quiet, and when I was a half block away, my son got in it and drove away. As soon as he put it in drive it honked twice, but that was it.

Great thread idea!

Whoa, that's not good! I thought the lack of a smartkey prevented the vehicle being driven. It appears it doesn't.

Maybe this is common knowledge to those who already have theirs... but what happens if you start the car and try to put it in gear when the charging cable is still attached?

You see stories/pics every now and then about people who pull away from gas pumps with the nozzle still inserted, don't want to report the same from my own garage that my wife drove away with the cable!

Edited by jeff_h

Whoa, that's not good! I thought the lack of a smartkey prevented the vehicle being driven. It appears it doesn't.

I'd have to try and confirm in the manual, but I think that if the car is "on" and the smart key goes away it can still be driven until it is turned off.  At that point the smart key is again required to start the car.  I'm not sure what the design reason for this would be if, in fact, I am remembering this correctly.

Maybe this is common knowledge to those who already have theirs... but what happens if you start the car and try to put it in gear when the charging cable is still attached?

You see stories/pics every now and then about people who pull away from gas pumps with the nozzle still inserted, don't want to report the same from my own garage that my wife drove away with the cable!

The system won't let you drive if still plugged in.

I'd have to try and confirm in the manual, but I think that if the car is "on" and the smart key goes away it can still be driven until it is turned off. At that point the smart key is again required to start the car. I'm not sure what the design reason for this would be if, in fact, I am remembering this correctly.
Yeah, I don't recall that part in the manual. I just assumed it'd act the same as my Audi. If the vehicle is running, the Audi prevents a shift from park when no key is detected.

Kinda scary if the Fusion doesn't!

Kind of vague in the manual:

---Fast Restart

The fast restart feature allows you to restart your vehicle within 20 seconds of switching it off, even if a valid key is not present.

Within 20 seconds of switching your vehicle off, press the brake pedal and press the start button. After 20 seconds have expired, you can no longer start your vehicle without the key present inside the vehicle.

Once your vehicle has started, it remains running until you press the start button, even if a valid key has not been detected. If you open and close a door while your vehicle is running, the system searches for a valid key. You cannot be able to start your vehicle if a valid key is not detected within 20 seconds.---

Does "start" mean drive too or is it literally start?

Edited by Scooter80

I'd have to test it, but I can see a strong argument that favors safety over security.

For example, if the SmartKey isn't being recognized because the wife throws her purse in the back seat after starting the car, or the key battery is low, and the car stalls at a light, for safety you would want to be able to restart the car without having the key be recognized. To restart the car you would have to put it in park. Therefore, I assume you can also take it out of park and drive away without the key being recognized.

This all assumes you originally started the car with the key and did not open the door and get out which I think handles the security issue.

Edited by Energized

NAVIGATION FEATURE:

When your EV range gets low, the map displays two circles around your location visually indicating how far you can travel with your remaining EV miles.  The inner circle is a higher confidence range and the outer circle is a lower confidence range.

With this feature you can tell if your set destination (checkered flag) is within predicted EV range.

Edited by Energized

NAVIGATION FEATURE:

When your EV range gets low, the map displays a circle around your location visually indicating how far you can travel with your remaining EV miles. 

With this feature you can instantly tell if your set destination (checkered flag) is within predicted EV range.

Careful with this one... I believe the circle is line of sight distance. So this would only really be accurate if our cars could fly. lol!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just noticed that the ambient lighting in the doors changes color when the door is opened. It will change to red from whatever color is currently set.

I assume this is to provide a warning light to oncoming cars while the door is open.

I think it is to let you know your car door is open if you don't shut it all the way (at night), if not in the driver's seat to see the warning indicator on the instrument panel.

For the Hot Weather:

I like this one, You can unlock your car w the FOB, and if you press the unlock twice and hold it, it opens all of the windows and vents the moonroof. Doing the same with the Lock button closes everything.  Plus it is fun to remotely open or close the windows when people are looking at your car. 

OK, maybe everyone knew that, I still think it is cool.

Edited by Taylorjd

• 1 month later...

VOICE GUIDANCE ON / OFF -  Navigation

While in the Nav mode, using the voice command "Voice Guidance Off" turns off the verbal directions from the nav system.   Once the verbal commands are off, they stay off until you turn them back on.  It will not reset to On.   You can turn the verbal commands back on with "Voice Guidance On"

This feature is handy when:

1) you're using the nav system to monitor your distance to destination so you can properly budget your remaining EV miles

2) you don't want the Nav lady interrupting your music all the time with commands

Edited by Energized

I think Ford gave the Nav/Sync Lady the name Samantha.

Yes that has been the case for sometime. From a 2009 article: "Customers will hear Samantha's voice -- as well as French-speaking Julie's and Spanish-speaking Paulina's -- give life to the company's advanced communication and entertainment system called SYNC." 

• 3 weeks later...

Charging Stations Along Route - Travel Link

Travel Link has a button to display charging stations along your route of travel.  I think this might be a new feature in 3.6.2

This info comes from Sirius and I have no idea what database they use.  From my experience it's been accurate and displays stations close to the route I'm on (within a mile or less).