Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Cylinder Misfires

mczajka

I've had to tow my Energi Titanium to the dealer twice so far. It's in the second time in a week.

Left the house one morning, got about 2 miles down the road, and the engine started vibrating (misfires). Turned around and got home on the battery (EV only mode).

A friend let me borrow a code reader, and it had 4 codes: P0302, P0301, P0300 and P0201.

After the first appointment, all they did was replace the spark plugs under warranty (did 100K service last November, car has about 93K miles).

Got the car home fine (about 12 miles), but when I went out a few days later, got the same issue about 3 miles from home. Again, thank you EV mode, I got home safely.

Car is in right now and yesterday they reprogrammed the PCM and possibly other components from a service bulletin. I don't feel great about this, so I told them to keep the car overnight and drive it today.

What do you think? I guess they are testing the voltages of everything, but I don't feel good about this. Should I force them to do something, like shift the coils from 1 & 2 to 3 & 4? Also could be a flaky fuel injector. I think by they time they look at it, the car has the codes, but it is running fine in the shop and when they test.

• 4 months later...

I'm surprised the plugs were replaced under warranty at 93k miles and it's a 2013 model.  Regardless, did you ever figure out the cause?  I'm getting P0301 on my 2014 Energi.  I replaced the plugs, test drove it, and it sill had the same issue.  I then tested the ignition coils using the multi-meter Ohm method. I wasn't able to find a definite answer on what they should read, but all the coils read approximately the same amount.  I went ahead and replaced the cylinder 1 ignition coil anyway.  I took an Ohm reading from the new coil and it was the same approximate amount I was reading on all the others.  I test drove, and it hasn't done it yet, but since all the coils tested the same, I suspect that it will misfire again at some point in the near future.