Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Charging time and KW usage

Salsaenz

I'm completly new to an EV vehicle. I purchased a 2019 Energi with 44,000 miles. I'm trying to figure out the charging time/kw and miles driven/kw used. 

When my vehicle is fully drained it takes my vehicle 7 hours to charge with a 120v charger. I have been assuming it takes 9ish KW to charge the battery.  With the vehicle fully charged and driving in great condition (weather 78 degrees, highway speed 65mph, and window open) I've gotten 13 miles of driving the last 2 days( similar condions both days). When my car initiated the engine, on both days, I pulled over and checked miles driven and KW used. Both days were very similar 13 miles driven and used 3.7 KW. 

If my car used 3.7 KW to drive 13 miles does this mean it took approximitly 9kw to charge the battery to only get 3.7 KW in return? or is my battery taking 7 hours to only charge approximitly 3.7KW? 

With this information can someone determine the condition of my battery?

Thanks

Sal

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2023 at 11:35 AM, Salsaenz said:

I'm completly new to an EV vehicle. I purchased a 2019 Energi with 44,000 miles. I'm trying to figure out the charging time/kw and miles driven/kw used. 

When my vehicle is fully drained it takes my vehicle 7 hours to charge with a 120v charger. I have been assuming it takes 9ish KW to charge the battery.  With the vehicle fully charged and driving in great condition (weather 78 degrees, highway speed 65mph, and window open) I've gotten 13 miles of driving the last 2 days( similar condions both days). When my car initiated the engine, on both days, I pulled over and checked miles driven and KW used. Both days were very similar 13 miles driven and used 3.7 KW. 

If my car used 3.7 KW to drive 13 miles does this mean it took approximitly 9kw to charge the battery to only get 3.7 KW in return? or is my battery taking 7 hours to only charge approximitly 3.7KW? 

With this information can someone determine the condition of my battery?

Thanks

Sal

Your 2019 has a 9.0kWh battery.  That is the complete capacity, but you can't use all of it and you will never put a full 9.0 into it.  The usage is broken down as follows:

.5 kWh reserve at the top to avoid overcharge situation

7.0 kWh usable for EV driving

1.5 kWh for hybrid mode, but you can't use the bottom ~.5kWh

Depending on how depleted your battery is when you plug in, you could conceivably put a max of ~8.0 kWh into it.  7.0 if you are not down into the hybrid portion of the battery.  There are also charging losses, but that is only if you are measuring at the wall plug, not the car.

Driving 65MPH in EV mode is the quickest way to drain your battery, as the efficiency at highway speed is drastically reduced.  It is also one of the worst ways to degrade your battery and not recommended.  I highly recommend to only use EV mode when driving at or below 50 MPH. 

Around town I can get 28-30 miles on a charge.  On the freeway that is 20 miles at best.  Wind drag is based on the square of the speed, so higher speeds really suck the juice fast.

The only way to test the condition of your battery that we know is the battery test recommended here on this site:

• charge to 100%,  Set a trip odometer to zero.
  • place car in EV mode and drive (gently) without HVAC or accessory use.
  • watch battery % until it reaches 0 and then 30 seconds later the car will switch to hybrid mode. At this point test is done.

The kWh used on the trip odometer tells you the condition of the battery.  For your 2019 it would be:

6.4-7.0 kWh - Great shape!

5.7-6.3 kWh - Good

5.0-5.6 kWh - Fair

4.4-5.0 kWh - Poor

<4.4 kWh     - Awful

Miles traveled just tells you how efficiently you were driving, it does not tell you the health of the battery. 

Edited by jsamp