Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Recurring Problem with Hybrid Battery Cooling Fan

hypnodr

I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure I've entered this post in the right section.

In any case, I have a 2016 Fusion Energi Titanium.  Pulled code POA82 first in April 2022.  They found water in my trunk that apparently shorted out the hybrid cooling fan.  

In October 2023 had the same problem.  Honored warranty since it had not been 2 years since the last same repair.  However, they claimed there was some kind of breach in my trunk pan that allowed water (rain?) to cause the damage. No mention of this during the April 2022 repair. Told me they couldn't seal it;  I would have to take it to a body shop.  The was told to me verbally but the advisory is nowhere on that last invoice.  Last night (1/24), got the same dash lights (wrench and check engine charging systems) on and same code (I have the Fix'd OBD2 sensor).  The manager told me I was responsible for any repairs since I had not addressed the breach with a body shop.  Couple of questions:

1) Anybody else have similar issues (especially with water entering the trunk)?

2) Does it make sense that the only remedy for the breach is body work?

3) Any advice on how to pursue further?

Thanks

Your issue sounds different as yours seems to be water related, but there is a known issue with the fan wires rubbing on a sharp sheetmetal edge in the trunk and shorting out.  The fan wires pass from the cabin to the trunk along the side over the wheel well (driver's side, I think) and there is a sheet metal edge sticking up in that area.  Check your wires to see if they are rubbing or have insulation worn off.  If it truly is a water issue I have no advice other than to follow their recommended course of action.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2015 Ford fusion titanium energy. Just recently I went to my car and found water in the trunk and couldn’t find where it could come from. Then I plugged in my FIXD sensor and it came up with something like hybrid battery pack or something like that. I ended up taking it to ford and found out the the hybrid battery cooling fan is not working. I looked it up on how to replace and choose to do it myself. But I’d still like to know where the water came from?? If anyone has an idea, let me know. Thanks 

So now I am having the water in the trunk issues.  In my case it is the seal around the trunk lid.  Water runs down the side of the trunk lid and gets between the lid and the gasket/seal.  It then collects in the bottom of the trunk where the fan unit is.  Now I am also having a 12V charging issue.  Got a couple of wrench lights and a "charging system fault" for the 12V battery.  I think my DC/DC converter has issues.  I need to troubleshoot.

On 3/30/2024 at 1:31 PM, Dlight said:

I have a 2015 Ford fusion titanium energy. Just recently I went to my car and found water in the trunk and couldn’t find where it could come from. Then I plugged in my FIXD sensor and it came up with something like hybrid battery pack or something like that. I ended up taking it to ford and found out the the hybrid battery cooling fan is not working. I looked it up on how to replace and choose to do it myself. But I’d still like to know where the water came from?? If anyone has an idea, let me know. Thanks 

My 2020 FFE had a leak and it came from the 3rd brake light which then leaked to the rear deck inside the car and finally worked it way down to the trunk.  I had noticed that my 3rd brake light had moisture in it but didn't think much of that at the time.  But after a hard rain the inside of my car became a little musty with condensation on the inside a few days later when the sun was out.  I discovered the water in the trunk of my car and I had asked my wife about if she spilled water in it because she had driven it a few time and she said yes her water bottle had spilled out and forgot to tell me!  So I dried it all out and thought that was it... until it rained again.

So now I'm hunting for the leak and then I noticed the drivers side C panel had a streak of water running down it and the rear deck was moist.  I thought it must be the 3rd brake light but couldn't find any others who had this problem.  However the Mustang uses the same 3rd brake light and there are a lot of posts about how it is leak prone.  Several fixes can be found from replacing the housing to using sealant... I ended up replacing my 3rd brake light and the rear deck cover as the fabric was discolored and just touching it would get black lint over your fingers.  This was over a year ago and we have had some really hard rain and no more leaks.

Long story short... check your 3rd brake light... and check your rear deck cover when you find water in your trunk...

Edited by JeepBaja