Ford Fusion Energi Forum

charging cable question

Eric W

Hello from Victoria Canada

I;m a happy owner of a 2015 Energi. 

My stock 110 charger has stopped working. Blue light spins but does not engage to show its charging as per normal. 

I think it's the charger since I plugged into a free 240 charger at the library and it works. 

Two questions if someone can help. . .

1) should I replace it with Ford charger or is a third party charger OK?

2) if 3rd party is OK I found this one on Amazon that says it is "3 x faster" 

Is this OK? Is it possible? Is it dangerous - will it wreck the battery or cause other problems? Seems too good to be true if its 3x as fast?

https://www.amazon.ca/Charging-Portable-Electric-Household-Reliable/dp/B09SQF8XHD

Thank you for your time. 

Eric W. 

Greetings!

To set a few (relatively minor) details straight, the charger is actually integrated in the car's battery pack controls - the BECM (battery energy control module). The plug that connects the car to the electric grid is called an EVSE (electric vehicle service equipment). A "level 1" EVSE is always 120 volts - they are usually 12 amps but as you found, there are 16 amp, 120 volt EVSEs. You need 20 amp breakers and 12 gauge circuit wiring to use those safely. They're only 33% faster than the factory 12A L1 EVSE, certainly not 3x faster. 🙂

The other type of EVSE that can be used with these cars is a level 2 EVSE, which is line service at 240 volts. The charger in the car will draw a maximum of 16A at 240V, which is about 3x faster than a 12A 120V EVSE. These often use a NEMA 6-20R outlet which can also safely be used with 12 gauge wiring, with a 20A DPST breaker. I got a L2 16A EVSE after converting a dedicated 20A outlet in my garage from 120V to 240V service. Something like this.

In summary, unless you have 12 gauge wiring, you're best off sticking with a 12A L1 EVSE.

PS - the car's charger is about 80% efficient at charging the battery with a L2 EVSE. With a L1 EVSE, it's only about 72% efficient. So you draw a little less electricity from the wall outlet to charge the car when using a L2 EVSE.

Agree with terminator.  That Amazon listing is full of misprints.  If it is truly 110V (120V) 16A then there is no way it is 3.8kW.  The two don't agree.  That also means it is not 3x faster.  I suspect they re-used a description from an L2 240V unit for this one (which would be 3x faster). That is VERY common on cheap products imported en masse.

My understanding is that the Energi has a max of 12A @ 110/120V and 16A @220/240V.  I guess it can do less if the EVSE has a lower limit, but the Energi can do no higher.

PS: you can use any charging cord with the energi that has a J1772 connector, but remember you get what you pay for.  I'd go with a Clipper Creek unit with a good warranty and known reliability.

Edited by jsamp