Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Leak issue

jsamp

So this winter I've been noticing excessive condensation on the inside of the front windshield on my evening/nighttime trips.  I was concerned that there might be a leak somewhere and water was collecting in the carpet or somewhere.  After searching the entire interior from the headliner to the floor I was unable to find anything.  Then today I was getting something out of the trunk and noticed the right side of the trunk floor was wet.  Upon closer inspection there was even the beginnings of some mold there.  I pulled the trunk floor panel out, and it was wet on both ends, but not in the middle.  The fibrous material underneath on both ends was SOAKED and dripping.  Further digging and removal of parts revealed about 1/4" of standing water in the bottom pan under the foam air compressor holder insert (around the battery cooling ducts) - Ah HA! found the condensation source.

Next up was to find the leak point.  Being on both sides but not in the middle, I suspected the tail lights.  Upon inspection I noticed that the water drain channel around the trunk opening goes down across part of the tail light assembly.  There is a rubber flap at the top of that assembly, but it doesn't seal fully - I could see small gaps.  Tried feeling around in the trunk to see if there was a trail of water from there to the bottom but it was hard to confirm.  For now, I calked one tail light and am drying everything out.  The next rain (probably this weekend) should be able to confirm whether this fixed the issue if the right is dry and the left is wet.  I'll report back if I find anything conclusive.

Anyone else have water in the trunk or hear of other Fusion owners (energi or not) that have this issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  So far it seems to be the foam trunk lid seal.  The water runs from the channel down the sides, and as it does it brushes against the side of the foam trunk seal.  At that point it transitions to the edge of the seal and continues down around the corner until it found a gap to leak in at the bottom.  I pulled the seal up on the metal lip that it clips to hoping to get better contact between the seal and the trunk lid.  So far it worked, but it has only rained once since doing this.  Now that we are near the end of our rainy season, I may have to do more testing with a garden hose sprayer.

Edited by jsamp