Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Spartyof83

When I got home I set a go time for 20 minutes out. About 5 minutes later for the first time the fans turned on and the car started warming up. 15 minutes later the car was a good bit warmer then it was before. I didn't bring a thermometer but I guess it was 72. From the TSB I think you can tell if you have new working version on the FCIM or not. In the settings on the dash on the left hand screen; go to remote start and climate. if you don't have settings for front and rear defrost; you don't have the newest version. I do now but to be honest not sure if I did before or not. I am guessing not. Hope this helps and this is what worked for me. Not sure if it will work for everyone though. 

From the TSB I think you can tell if you have new working version on the FCIM or not. In the settings on the dash on the left hand screen; go to remote start and climate. if you don't have settings for front and rear defrost; you don't have the newest version. I do now but to be honest not sure if I did before or not. I am guessing not. Hope this helps and this is what worked for me. Not sure if it will work for everyone though. 

My car's preconditioning doesn't seem to be working.  I just checked my remote start settings and I have the settings for front/rear defrost.  The choices are "auto" and "off", so I guess this isn't a way of telling if you have the newest version.

Ok thanks for checking. Well, them updating the FCIM to newest version fixed the problem for me. They worked this morning for the first time. In the TSB it says "In addition, the defrost option may not be available in the Instrument Cluster Settings - Remote Start Menu." I guess there are several versions of the FCIM software. I think my service sheet said that they put on version 87.05 which is much higher then what the TSB is referencing; 84.03 and higher or 85.01 and higher. The service guy said they had to update their code reader after talking to Ford because the FCIM version they referenced was higher then the code reader so it didn't know about it. HAHA

I told my dealer about TSB 13-05-28 REPROGRAM FCIM TO LATEST CALIBRATION. They attempted many times to apply the software update, but the FCIM kept shutting down mid-update. It refused to accept the update. (Seems reasonable to me. It was also refusing my Go Times!!)

They found the FCIM defective. The part is on order and hopefully I'll have the car back soon with working Go Times!

My dealer applied the TSB and wanted to update all newer software, which I agreed to. There are now more settings options available.

The go time now kicks off the cabin fan. The temperature of the air is the same as in my wife's CMAX Energi. I am noticing, however, the blower on the CMAX is moving a great deal more air then the Fusion. I had to get inside the Fusion to realize the go time kicked off. On the CMAX, I can tell the go time is active right from the doorway to the garage. The fan is that loud on the CMAX.

Does anyone else also own a CMAX Energi?

I think they fixed it. The car was still in the middle of charging and while I was sitting in it I used the app to set a go time for 15 minutes later. As soon as the time synced to the car the fans turned on and eventually the air got warm. The notes say they performed TSB 13-05-28 REPROGRAM FCIM TO LATEST CALIBRATION. We'll see what happens at the normally scheduled time tomorrow.

Looks like that TSB is related to remote start instead of GO time, but maybe there was a similar bug in both that was fixed in the TSB... anyway, for those interested I posted that TSB in the repository thread.

http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1248-collection-of-tsbs-related-to-energi/?p=9574

I finally took my car in today to have the Power Window One Touch Up TSB performed.  I got tired of resetting them all the time.

I also had my dealer perform the TSB to Reprogram FCIM to Latest Calibration since my Go Times weren't working either.  I do not have the opportunity to use Go Times often so I have not set them.  Seeing this thread made me try.  Thanks to all of you for the information.

My service person called me to ask me what Go Times were....seriously?  So I explained to him what they were and why we use them.  30 minutes ago I set a Go Time for the top of the hour and immediately I could heard the fan come on and the blower in the car turned on.  Another success story.

I keep telling my dealer and service technician about this Forum.  You would think someone would join so they could all learn how to service Energi owners! :)

Oh, and on my way to pick up my car I saw a brand new Sterling Gray Energi SE with my dealer's paper license plate on them so they finally sold one!

My sincere thanks to posters referencing TSB 13-05-28 reprogram of FCIM!    The dealership was unaware of this update, but after giving them the specifics, they found the update, installed it, and now my GO times work.    

FYI.  I tried all the other options suggested, such as making sure the climate control was set to Auto, programming via MyFordMobile, making sure the car was locked, making sure the HVB was fully charged, performing a reset, etc  -- none of them made any difference.     The TSB 13-05-28 update is the fix for Go Times not responding the being programmed.

Another Go Time Success Story!!

I told my dealer about TSB 13-05-28 REPROGRAM FCIM TO LATEST CALIBRATION and the success mentioned in this forum. The technician tried to perform the update, but the FCIM kept shutting down mid-update. They found the FCIM defective, ordered a new one, performed the update on the new one, and now Go Times are working like a charm with the factory 120V charger.

Thanks to all for posting!  

My Go Times were not working, that is nothing was happening, no fans, nothing, then I had the TSB software update and now the fans start running, the battery is full (no charge ring glowing), but the cabin does not heat up, only cool air is blowing out the defroster vent.

None of the other posts with this same problem seem to have a resolution associated with them, except possibly that using the 110 V charger we shouldn't expect much heat.    

I do expect a pre-heated cabin, otherwise what is the point of preconditioning while plugged in?      On that topic, why does MFM have the cabin pre-heat as an option, i.e. what is the point of preconditioning except to heat the cabin?

I do expect a pre-heated cabin, otherwise what is the point of preconditioning while plugged in?      On that topic, why does MFM have the cabin pre-heat as an option, i.e. what is the point of preconditioning except to heat the cabin?

...To cool the cabin.  Those who live in hotter states and have their car parked outdoors, want to cool the cabin to 85 or 72 prior to driving the vehicle.

Update: (FIXED)

My car went in yesterday for service of the "go times".  I provided the dealer with the TSB 13-05-28 REPROGRAM FCIM TO LATEST CALIBRATION and advised them that this was the fix for the "go times" regardless of what the description says.  They called me a couple of hours later saying the system wouldn't let them download the TSB because of the "problem" that they were entering into the Ford computer.  I was talking with their master technician.  I encouraged him to just download it anyway and fudge the description because this was the fix and I could show him documentation to the like.  I wanted to save him and myself a lot of time.  He downloaded and applied the TSB. 

This morning when I out to the garage, the fans were humming along and the interior of the car was warming nicely.  What a relief!

Steve

Now that everyone's GO Times seem to be working, do we all agree that they don't do too much in the way of pre-heating the cabin (when its 35 degrees outside)?   I really like the Energi, but am underwhelmed by this feature fow which I had high hopes.   My anticipation was a nice warm cabin that would let me basically use just the heated seats on the drive, thus saving about 4 miles of electric range here in Kansas City.    Apparently a 220V charger has the power needed to do what I want.   

When I use the AutoStart feature the car is nice and toasty in a few minutes, but uses up some of the HVB.   Using Go Times, after 20 minutes the air out of the vents is barely warm.   (Car in garage at about 35 degrees)

Mark,

Are you saying you are using the included 120volt charger? I have a GE Wattstation 240 volt. I find that it definitey makes a difference by warming the seat and the cabin. When it is 35 degrees or colder in my garage, it never gets near 72 inside the car but I'll take what I can get.

How far is your commute that it consumes 4 miles of range when using the heated seat?

Edited by cgrieco

My 240 V charger works fine when the temperature goes down to about 15 degrees in my garage (that's the coldest so far this year--its better than -11 outside).  However, it takes a lot of energy to warm up the car.  It takes almost one hour and almost 3 kWh at that temperature.  The cabin is warmed to about 50 degrees.  The 120 volt charge cannot supply enough to power to heat the cabin when it is cold--it is useless for preconditioning at low temperatures.  If you want a warm cabin, you are going to have to get a 240 V charger. 

Edited by larryh

Larryh,

That's good information to know. So you are saying that your Fusion kicks on 1 hour before your go time setting? I dont have that luxury of time since I share a 240 volt charger with my wife and she leaves 1/2 hour before me. She is nice enough to plug the charger into my Fusion when she leaves and the go time kicks on when she does that.

The time at which preconditioning starts varies depending on the temperature.  If it is in the low 20's, it starts about 40 minutes before the GO time.  If it is in the teens, it is maybe 50 minutes. If it is in the 30's, it will occur later.  I have recordings of the power usage of the charger for the past couple of months.  So I can look at the recordings to see when preconditioning actually started.  However, I don't have the associated temperatures.

Edited by larryh

My 240 V charger works fine when the temperature goes down to about 15 degrees in my garage (that's the coldest so far this year--its better than -11 outside).  However, it takes a lot of energy to warm up the car.  It takes almost one hour and almost 3 kWh at that temperature.  The cabin is warmed to about 50 degrees.  The 120 volt charge cannot supply enough to power to heat the cabin when it is cold--it is useless for preconditioning at low temperatures.  If you want a warm cabin, you are going to have to get a 240 V charger. 

Thanks for this info.   As a test of what 120V can do to warm up a car, I plugged in my little ceramic heater and let it run for about 30 minutes.  It was in my trunk, with the seats down and the airflow pointed towards the interior.   The temp in the garage was about 30 degrees.    After the 30 minutes I got in the car and could barely tell that it was any warmer, yet those ceramic heaters are really pretty efficient.  

The moral (for me) is that I shouldn't have expected my 120V charger to perform heating miracles when it is so cold out.      I'll have to wait about 6 months to see if it can cool down the interior in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Had an issue similar to a few others in that my GO Times would set and at the appointed time the car would start drawing power from the 240V charger but no HVAC would come on to heat the cabin.  A couple users here were nice enough to send me scans of their repair orders from their fixes, so that I would have some ammo to use with the dealer in case the service advisor was not cooperative in the dealer applying the TSB.

Had appt at dealer this morning, they took the car in and I was called back to desk 30 minutes later (if they call your name on the PA and then say the dreaded "see the service desk" instead of "your vehicle is ready" that is not a good sign), apparently service advisor did not understand the problem enough to pass on the info (which is why I asked others for copies of their repair orders for reference), so I was called there while the Hybrid/EV tech was there to have me describe the problem.  Told them of the symptoms noted above and that this is why I left those papers on the passenger seat as a couple friends had this same problem and applying the software update for TSB 13-5-28 fixed the issue for them - so off he went.   He came back 30 minutes later to say that another update also needed to be done on the HVB system (the car showed DTC U019B so they also did a software update for TSB 13-7-11), and that the system said that the car also needed Sync updated -- to which I said no that's incorrect and the Ford IVT team is working that, so he let that alone (this was about 1-2 hours before the Sync site started reporting the correct versions again).  So another 15 minutes later I got the PA call with my name and the welcome "your vehicle is ready"...

I drove the car to dealer lot out front where the 240V charger is and started charging the car (was at 3/4 charge), and went back inside to customer lounge with my laptop and set the GO Time on the MFM site for 30 minutes later and 72 degrees.  I then waited 30 minutes until MFM showed that the charge was complete, walked outside and hallelujah there was warm air blowing out of the HVAC!

Not sure which of the TSB software updates above wiped out my lifetime EV miles and also wiped out the EV+ learned locations, but one of them did... same thing happened on my hybrid when they did a PCM software update to improve MPG.  And I assume that after one of the software updates done, that some type of relearning was needed by the system, as the first trip after the dealer was just 2.7 miles and I have never even close to having a driving score that low!

Trip_Summary_3Jan14_zpsa88e23a5.jpg

Edited by jeff_h

Did you look at the coach display in the car?  Probably the acceleration, braking, and cruising indicators were all reset to 0.  If so, it will take a while to build the scores back up.  I have noticed that the driving scores for my latest trip reported by MyFord Mobile are a function of previous trips in addition to the latest trip.   To get the best score for the current trip, you need to have previously built up the acceleration, braking, and cruising indicators close to 100%. 

Did you look at the coach display in the car?  Probably the acceleration, braking, and cruising indicators were all reset to 0.  If so, it will take a while to build the scores back up.  I have noticed that the driving scores for my latest trip reported by MyFord Mobile are a function of previous trips in addition to the latest trip.   To get the best score for the current trip, you need to have previously built up the acceleration, braking, and cruising indicators close to 100%. 

Good point, that was probably it (but I did not look at coach display) -- that 2.7 mile trip involved nothing over 40 MPH, the simple around-town trip where I can often score 98 or 99, which is why 22 was so surprising.