Ford Fusion Energi Forum

20'' wheel question

ls1ssws6

Hey guys, I have read all the posts about upsizing the tires/wheels and have seen people talk about a few possible negatives that could happen so im here to try and get some type of more than likely scenarios. I just ordered my energi and i love the car (why i ordered it) but HATE the wheels that come on it so i was thinking about upgrading to some 19s and possibly 20s. The wheels im looking at are about 9 pounds heavier than stock so 36 pounds and with the tires maybe another 40 or 50 shouldnt be too bad I ASSUME on the fuel economy. I know it will drop but that is my first question, what kind of losses do you suspect ill see?

Secondly I am getting the adaptive cruise control, is this something that will be effected by the upsizing of the wheels? Also I read on another topic about the auto high beams not working properly?

I dont want to get this car with all these features and then have them all not work or give me problems because of the wheel upgrade. Can someone try to clarify if i will have problems and if so can i take it to the dealer and for lack of better terms have them recalibrate the settings to the new wheel specs? 

Help me out, I want to get all my answers before i settle for a car that i have to keep the stock wheels on!

Thanks a lot!

ACC uses radar to measure the distance to the car in front of you and to maintain the separation based on the setting that you have chosen.  There are four settings.  It controls the throttle to match the speed of the car in front if it is going slower than the speed setting in your car.  I can't think of a reason that wheel size would matter.

Auto high beams require a clean windshield in front of the camera.  They can be flaky depending on reflective road signs, tail light brightness, lane separation, etc.  They don't work any better than the system I designed and installed in my 1953 Ford around 1960.  I usually disable them because for 95% of my driving high beams are not needed.

I have no opinion on the wheels.  I can't see mine when I'm driving the car so as long as they work that's all I need to know.

ACC uses radar to measure the distance to the car in front of you and to maintain the separation based on the setting that you have chosen.  There are four settings.  It controls the throttle to match the speed of the car in front if it is going slower than the speed setting in your car.  I can't think of a reason that wheel size would matter.

Auto high beams require a clean windshield in front of the camera.  They can be flaky depending on reflective road signs, tail light brightness, lane separation, etc.  They don't work any better than the system I designed and installed in my 1953 Ford around 1960.  I usually disable them because for 95% of my driving high beams are not needed.

I have no opinion on the wheels.  I can't see mine when I'm driving the car so as long as they work that's all I need to know.

Thank you for clearing the cruise control up for me. As far as the auto high beam I assume that tinting the front windshield (hold opinions lol) will effect the performance of this feature?

I think things would work fine, the biggest concern I would have with 20s would be ride quality. The closes tire size to our 225/50R17s is a 225/35R20. At 60mph on stock tires the 20s would be going 60.7, so only 1.167% error, which seems resonable. BUT the sidewall would go from 4.43" down to 3.1". This will cause a noticiably harsher ride. Also, most people up-size their wheels to fill the gab between fender/tire, and this would not help that.

But my guess is you are use to cars with bigger rims, and if your ok with the change for for it. I personally wouldnt go larger then 18s though.

I think things would work fine, the biggest concern I would have with 20s would be ride quality. The closes tire size to our 225/50R17s is a 225/35R20. At 60mph on stock tires the 20s would be going 60.7, so only 1.167% error, which seems resonable. BUT the sidewall would go from 4.43" down to 3.1". This will cause a noticiably harsher ride. Also, most people up-size their wheels to fill the gab between fender/tire, and this would not help that.

But my guess is you are use to cars with bigger rims, and if your ok with the change for for it. I personally wouldnt go larger then 18s though.

appreciate the input. I know i would have to get different springs to combat the gap issue but ill see how it looks after installing them and go from there. I know it will be a littler harsher of a ride but thats ok with me. I was looking at 18s but for only a few bucks more i could go 19 or 20. I still have a few weeks to decide. I will be sure to post pictures though

http://2gfusions.com/index.php/topic,3367.0.html

This guy went with 20" TSW Nurburgring wheels AND lowered it on Eibach Sport Springs. Since the TSW wheels are so light, he only lost about 1 mile on his first partition of the battery. I went with 18" Niche wheels and they are a lot heavier but I was fine knowing that. I only lost about a mile as well. 

http://2gfusions.com/index.php/topic,3367.0.html

This guy went with 20" TSW Nurburgring wheels AND lowered it on Eibach Sport Springs. Since the TSW wheels are so light, he only lost about 1 mile on his first partition of the battery. I went with 18" Niche wheels and they are a lot heavier but I was fine knowing that. I only lost about a mile as well. 

yea i figured the lost MPG would be minimal. That white energi is VERY clean in my opinion. I think that stance and those wheels are perfect. Makes me feel good about my 20'' decision. Thanks for sending me that link it really helped me make my mind up. 

If you are lowering it also, be aware that the nose of these cars starts off very low, so even a minimal drop will mean greater potential. BUT if you are considering it, you probably have already had cars that are lowered and are well aware of this issue. :)

Post up picks when you get it all together!

Yea I went to the rim store and picked out my wheels. I have had lowered cars only problem now is that the entrance to my driveway is kind of steep but nothing a hard turn in wont solve lol ill be sure to post pictures when A I get the car and B when I get my wheels and stuff on it