Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Computer lost emissions data

spudman99

Here in PA we have annual car inspections.  Took my 2014 Energi in for its annual check-up to the Ford dealer.  My modem was replaced in 2016 and failed 4 months later.  They did a reset in June 2017 and said I would be good, did nothing.  I was too busy to return, they took a look at it yesterday and said it failed.  Will be getting a new one courtesy of the ESP.

Real question is that the Advisor said they could not complete the emissions test as there was no data stored in the computer (CO2, engine mis-fires, etc).  Asked me if I recently changed battery -- no, I changed it last year.  Asked if I reset any codes - no.  Service Advisor was puzzled, asked me if I could drive it on the ICE and come back in a few days.  I know I went just about 30 days on all electric - all short trips so the engine did not come on for about that time.

Can the lack of ICE running cause the computer to lose the data and then the situation above arise?  I would think the information would remain in storage.  I always wonder if the techs working on the cars are just inexperienced with a PHEV and do not know how to troubleshoot the issues and revert to their old ICE suspicions?

Anyone else have this issue?  Checking in advance as I go back on Monday to see if running the engine 40-50 miles will help.

Battery did not run dead.  I replaced the starter battery almost 12 months ago.  No periods of loss of power during the interim.  Probably put 2k miles on the ICE since the replacement. Dealer reports no codes when they read the emissions part of the test. 

I will report back next week the results of my situation, just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.  Certainly could be a faulty computer module on the car, that will be determined on Monday.