Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Emergency 12v battery pack

Fgolman

I carry one it is small but says it will jump start a normal car. The 12VDC batt in your Fusion is only there to provide power to the electronics so any reasonable 12VDC source will do the trick. 

My 2013 Fusion would run the battery down is a couple of days even if the car was plugged in. My 2018 Fusion does not do that.

I just bought a Powermax PM-91006.  $66 at Home Depot.  $29.99 on EBAY.    6000 mAh.   This is small enough to keep in the storage area in the bottom of the trunk under the lid.

Luckily the dreaded "12V battery is low" message always occurred when I was home and I could connect a charger.   Seems the battery dies quickly after receiving that message.

I bought this in case I was out and this happened.   Did not take long before I got this message again.   This little power pack did the trick to get the car started.

I had to use the manual key to get in the car.

I opened the trunk with the string I have connected to the emergency release in the trunk (I also have a metal coat hanger in case the string fails) .   I read there is a way to charge the battery from under the hood.

Crazy that you need these little tricks for a $40K+ car.

I went with a Ultracapacitor based unit (Rezervo RZ-300mini), that I really like - and has been rock solid so far. Fits nicely in the glovebox.
You really don't need alot of juice to close the relays to the main battery.

I had a Schumacher battery based unit before, but it didn't like the heat out here in AZ. I have a Schumachers 800-amp ultracap (DSR109) unit in my truck.

I've used both units once, and each time they saved me from calling AAA.

Edited by dgwillim

• 1 month later...

I just bought a "Type S" charger at Costco for $59.99. Looks really nice and has a nice carrying case. Includes USB charging, Qi wireless charge pad and flashlight.

Looks well designed, aluminum case and quite compact.

LION battery so no worries about memory effects in the older nicads, etc.

• 1 month later...

My 12 volt died again last night. Fortunately the car was in a parking garage (fortunately because it was raining). 2013 Fusion Energi. It happened over the summer when I was away using another car. Energi was just sitting in the driveway unplugged. I had the 12 volt replaced since this has happened a few times, and sure enough, it happened again last night when the car was sitting in a hotel garage for about 8 days, unplugged.

I wish I knew what was draining the battery. Has there been any software updates to fix this? I have to keep a portable jumper in the back seat. The car should have come with one. LOL

Edited by mczajka