Ford Fusion Energi Forum

ALL WEATHER tires for permanent use

Spartyof83

Has anyone transitioned to ALL WEATHER tires year round like the Michelin Crossclimate 2? I live in Michigan and swapping tires is expensive, not to mention a pain to do and to store a dedicated set. I was wondering if anyone has done this yet with an Energi and if so what results they had with MPG hit and traction in general?

We got our Energi used with a set of four Yokohoma Avid Ascend GTs on it. They worked well this winter with the "above average" snowfall we got here, 20 minutes southwest of downtown Cleveland (probably comparable to what you get in Michigan).

I have no experience with the factory tires as a result, but traction, noise levels, responsiveness etc. are good. EV range and fuel economy seem to be pretty good as well; my battery is degraded about 12-13% but I get 15-20% more range than factory estimates despite that.

• 1 year later...

I don't have CrossClimates, but General Altimax AW365's

Are they better in wet weather?  Yes - they are "stickier" than the stock Michelin Energy Savers, and have performed better than other all-seasons I have driven

Are they better is slush? Yes

Are they better in light snow (up to a couple of inches)? Yes-ish (in other words, they are better than all seasons, but not really in a "where has this tire been for all of my life" way)

Are they better in heavier snow?  Nope

Are they better on packed/icy snow and ice? Nope. (but the directional stability is excellent - you slide in a nice straight line)

The "cost" of this better traction is a bit of fuel economy (probably about 5% during the summer months, but you make up some of this in the winter months) and durability.  The softer rubber compound that gives the better traction wears quickly, so if you get all-weather tires, plan on replacing them a lot sooner than you would with all seasons - think in terms of 40-45,000 miles (68,000 km for the metrically inclined).  You might find all-weather tires to be a bit noisier, and you may also find that your handling/steering response isn't quite as crisp.

Would I buy all-weather tires again?  Probably not - largely because the wear issue really outweighs the extra traction.

The idea behind an all-weather tire isn't bad, I think it needs a bit more refinement.