Ford Fusion Energi Forum

cut in charger cord

WouterP

I just found out that (i guess by mowing the lawn) there is a cut in my charger cord.  Can anybody tell me what the best way to fix this because a new charger at Ford will cost me over $700.

Any thoughts are welcome.  Oh just for the record, I live in PA and we get bunch of rain and starting from now snow with freezing temperatures, and my car has to stay outside as I do not have a garage.

Thanks

I concur with murphy. Take it to a professional electrician and have them make a waterproof repair. It is going to be outside, so a DIY is not recommended.

And if it turns out that it can't be saved, you can save a little money from that $700+ by getting a Clipper Creek portable charger, listed for $495 (still hurts if you have to replace it, but hurts $200 less).

http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/pcs-15-portable-level-1-evse/

Peel the insulation back and see if its one wire or more that are cut or the insulation is damaged.  Get some shrink tubing in different sizes to re-insulate the wires when repairs are done.  You need a big one over the entire wire, smaller ones for each wire, and one in between for the wires but not the outer sleeve.

You should solder any wires together that are severed, twist them lengthwise together (ends pointing to each other) and then heat and apply solder and put the iron under the wire and heat until the solder melts from the top.  Once soldered shrink wrap it, don't forget to install shrink wrap on wire before soldering so you can slide it over later and insulate it from solder heat so it won't shrink prematurely.

Do one or more wires like this, then wrap them in electrical tape first individually then together then shrink over that.  Then wrap the whole thing in electrical tape and shrink over the entire joint end to end shrink should be longer than tape and this will give you a waterproof joint.

Any questions let me know.

-=>Raja.

And if it turns out that it can't be saved, you can save a little money from that $700+ by getting a Clipper Creek portable charger, listed for $495 (still hurts if you have to replace it, but hurts $200 less).

http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/pcs-15-portable-level-1-evse/

Thanks for that URL - I'll file it in case I ever need another charger!

You can get a replacement cable  here for $219

I'm sure there are many other sites that also sell replacement cables. This is just the first one that I saw

That is a juicebox cable, and different from the OEM cable.  From the ad:

"Perfect addition to your JuiceBox or a DCCharging system."

EDIT: To clarify, yes, it has the correct connector on one end, but nothing to provide the power on the other end.

Edited by stevedebi

Stevedebi,

The end of the cable that plugs into the cars is a industry standard.  The other end, if the Ford charger that WouterP has is like most others, is wired into the charger, not plugged in.  So the charger would have to be opened the old cable removed and the new one attached using the bare wires.   Shouldn't be more then removing a few screws etc.

A quick check on Amazon shows a different one for $170.  Link

Stevedebi,

The end of the cable that plugs into the cars is a industry standard.  The other end, if the Ford charger that WouterP has is like most others, is wired into the charger, not plugged in.  So the charger would have to be opened the old cable removed and the new one attached using the bare wires.   Shouldn't be more then removing a few screws etc.

A quick check on Amazon shows a different one for $170.  Link

Ah, you mean for the owner to manually wire the thing into the existing charge. Got it. Yeah, that could work. Better than getting it repaired, but probably still more expensive.

Disaster today, someone STOLE my charger at the Oxford, MA VFW.

I had my car plugged in after asking for permission from Terry to use the 110v outlet and it was taken at 2:07pm.

To make a long stort, if you want to sell yours let me know what you want or it.

Its too bad we live in a world like this, folks please lock up your chargers if you leave them unattended.

-=^Raja.

Edited by rbort

Disaster today, someone STOLE my charger at the Oxford, MA VFW.

I had my car plugged in after asking for permission from Terry to use the 110v outlet and it was taken at 2:07pm.

To make a long stort, if you want to sell yours let me know what you want or it.

Its too bad we live in a world like this, folks please lock up your chargers if you leave them unattended.

-=^Raja.

Raja - that really stinks!!

Did you get an "accidental unplug" alert at 2:07 or did you just see on MFM that the car stopped charging at 2:07?

Edited by Hybridbear

• 4 years later...