Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Cooled Seats Option Complaint

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lonzo71

lonzo71

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 278 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationDC metro
  • Current Vehicle:Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2017

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:40 AM

I'm going to ask my wife, since she drives the explorer all the time if it happens to her..but she hardly ever uses it because it makes her feel like going to the bathroom :headspin:

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Rexracer

Rexracer

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 407 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationPortland
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:14 AM

I was riding home today in 90+ degree Tampa heat and I said "I swear my back is getting HOT". To take subjectivity out of it I ran a test. The whistlepig (my Fusion) was fully charged and in a 31.5C ambient garage for 3 hours. I turned on the car and seat coolers and made sure the A/C vents were pointed away from the seats (although I probably should have turned it off), closed the doors, and let it run for 15 minutes with nobody in the seat.

The seat back does get warm from the cooler but not as hot as I thought it felt:

WR24eDH.jpg

WxxlTEC.jpg

DaUakJ7.jpg

It does get pretty hot in the back, I saw temps over 45C at one point so maybe there's a chance that while sitting in the seat it can push against the thermoelectric module somehow?

kq4mm31.jpg

I tried sitting in it for a couple minutes after the test and didn't feel any noticeable heat in my back. The FLIR also showed a pretty even heat distribution when I got up.

Oh man, best post i have ever seen, take all the subjective opinions out of it "i feel" "I think" "my brakes are loud" How loud? actual data, love it.

• Hybridbear and flyingcheesehead like this

#23 OFFLINE   CapnBry

CapnBry

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 22 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:4runner
  • My Fusion's Year:2014

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:44 AM

Hi guys,

I want to check out some options. Please PM me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

I should clarify that I think it's working just fine. My back was warm because it was hot out and there is no cooling in the seat back. I'll provide my information if I can provide any further useful tidbits, but unless the seat back is supposed to be cooled as well I'm perfectly happy with the results.

#24 OFFLINE   Blastphemy

Blastphemy

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMontana
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

The seat back is also supposed to be cooled, CapnBry.

I'd point you to the manual, but it's full of inaccuracies and omissions, so can't be relied on to support that assertion. For example, page 135 states, "The cooled seats will only function when the engine is running" which is utter nonsense (since I use them all the time in EV Now mode). The manual also states, "If the engine falls below 350 RPM while the ventilated seats are on, the feature will turn itself off; You will need to reactivate it" which has also never happened to me.

The reason I know the seat back is supposed to be cooled is because I do feel cooling there initially. It's just that the car can't maintain it.

Edited by Blastphemy, 20 August 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   Hybridbear

Hybridbear

Energi Member

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1,052 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:55 PM

I'd point you to the manual, but it's full of inaccuracies and omissions, so can't be relied on to support that assertion. For example, page 135 states, "The cooled seats will only function when the engine is running" which is utter nonsense (since I use them all the time in EV Now mode). The manual also states, "If the engine falls below 350 RPM while the ventilated seats are on, the feature will turn itself off; You will need to reactivate it" which has also never happened to me.

These sections are obviously just copied from the gas Fusion manual lol there is a lot of that unfortunately. We're considering the Kia Soul EV as a potential replacement for our Focus Electric at lease end. I've been reading through the Soul EV Owner's Manual. In additional to all the poorly translated sentences that don't make a lot of sense there are some sections that are obviously just copied from the gas Soul manual and are not correct for the Soul EV.

Current vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic (The Snow Queen on MFM)

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm (Elektra on MFM)

315692.png

Previous vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#26 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 254 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford
  • My Fusion's Year:Decline

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:18 AM

I should clarify that I think it's working just fine. My back was warm because it was hot out and there is no cooling in the seat back. I'll provide my information if I can provide any further useful tidbits, but unless the seat back is supposed to be cooled as well I'm perfectly happy with the results.

Got your message! :)

Meagan

#27 OFFLINE   EnergiCCAATS

EnergiCCAATS

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 125 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationAlabama
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:42 AM

Got your message! :)

Meagan

Thanks Meagan, I will PM you my information.  I maintain that after the system has been on for 15+ mins or so, my back is getting VERY hot.....not just an "absence of cooling".  THere is generated heat inside the seat back coming from somewhere after the system has been operating for several minutes.  Seems to be sort of sporadic, but happens about 85-90% of the time I use the ventilated seats.

His: 2015 Fusion Energi Titanium, Magnetic w/Black Leather, Moonroof, NAV, Driver Assist, Active Park Assist.  Hers: 2014 Fusion Energi Titanium, Ruby Red w/Black Leather, Moonroof, NAV and Driver Assist Package.  Clipper Creek LCS-25 L2 EVSE

#28 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 254 posts
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ford
  • My Fusion's Year:Decline

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Meagan, I will PM you my information.  I maintain that after the system has been on for 15+ mins or so, my back is getting VERY hot.....not just an "absence of cooling".  THere is generated heat inside the seat back coming from somewhere after the system has been operating for several minutes.  Seems to be sort of sporadic, but happens about 85-90% of the time I use the ventilated seats.

Got it! Thanks. :)

Meagan

#29 OFFLINE   Blastphemy

Blastphemy

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:31 PM

The seat back is also supposed to be cooled, CapnBry.

Shows you what I know! Looks like my salesperson outright lied to me when he told me both the seat bottom and seat back were cooled. Brought the car in for its first oil change and mentioned this to the technician, and he showed me that there is no cooling mechanism in the seatback at all. Initially when the cooled seats turn on, you can feel some overflow cooling in the lower back, but that's it. Guess this will be my last Ford since I don't like being sold under false pretenses. Considering this was one of the main reasons I got this car instead of a Volt or ELR, I'm not happy at all.

#30 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 487 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:None

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:52 AM

Shows you what I know! Looks like my salesperson outright lied to me when he told me both the seat bottom and seat back were cooled. Brought the car in for its first oil change and mentioned this to the technician, and he showed me that there is no cooling mechanism in the seatback at all. Initially when the cooled seats turn on, you can feel some overflow cooling in the lower back, but that's it. Guess this will be my last Ford since I don't like being sold under false pretenses. Considering this was one of the main reasons I got this car instead of a Volt or ELR, I'm not happy at all.

Your salesman probably didn't know. He had sat in the car and thought the back was cooler. Or maybe he was not telling the truth. But I think you will find both honesty and dishonesty in all dealerships, of all brands.

• Hybridbear likes this

#31 OFFLINE   Oreo10

Oreo10

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Fusion Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2016

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I recently got a 2016 Fusion Energi which also seems to get hot on my back when the cooled seat is on.

#32 OFFLINE   EnergiCCAATS

EnergiCCAATS

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 125 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationAlabama
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:38 AM

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I recently got a 2016 Fusion Energi which also seems to get hot on my back when the cooled seat is on.

Nope.  The only thing I have been able to surmise consistently is that the seatback while using cooled seats after car has been in conditioned garage (or early in the morning) does feel cool while driving (even if hot outside).  Others have stated there is no mechanism in the seat back, but I can feel cool air on my back with the feature on in the mornings (or after leaving a garage).  HOWEVER, if the car has been parked outside for any period of time and the seats are hot from the ambient temp in the vehicle, then running the ventilated seats actually makes the seat back get much hotter after about 10-15 minutes of use.  I have made the same drive home from work WITHOUT the a/c seats on and the seatback does not get noticeably hotter. 

His: 2015 Fusion Energi Titanium, Magnetic w/Black Leather, Moonroof, NAV, Driver Assist, Active Park Assist.  Hers: 2014 Fusion Energi Titanium, Ruby Red w/Black Leather, Moonroof, NAV and Driver Assist Package.  Clipper Creek LCS-25 L2 EVSE

#33 OFFLINE   Oreo10

Oreo10

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Fusion Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2016

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:57 AM

Nope.  The only thing I have been able to surmise consistently is that the seatback while using cooled seats after car has been in conditioned garage (or early in the morning) does feel cool while driving (even if hot outside).  Others have stated there is no mechanism in the seat back, but I can feel cool air on my back with the feature on in the mornings (or after leaving a garage).  HOWEVER, if the car has been parked outside for any period of time and the seats are hot from the ambient temp in the vehicle, then running the ventilated seats actually makes the seat back get much hotter after about 10-15 minutes of use.  I have made the same drive home from work WITHOUT the a/c seats on and the seatback does not get noticeably hotter. 

How annoying. I have noticed the same. On my commute in the morning after being in the garage the back is cool but that's not when I need it as much. While coming home after being out in the sun all day, it gets hot after 10 or so minutes like you say. 

• baa2017 likes this

#34 OFFLINE   Kgrover

Kgrover

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 6 posts
  • Locationgeorgia
  • Current Vehicle:energi titanium

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:08 AM

My 2017 Fusion has the cooled seats and the seat bottom works great, the seat back, not so much.  Sometimes it works great, some times it seems to get warm instead of cooling.  I just had it at the dealer and they checked it and said it's working like it should. I have noticed that if it's not very cool and I lean forward, it starts to work better and I can feel the air blowing out of the seat back, but not very hard.  The other Ford and Lincoln vehicles that I have driven have had very forceful air from the seat bottom and seat back and cooled very well.  It seems the unit for the seat back just doesn't blow hard enough or leaks internally.  Maybe there will be a design change soon to address this.  This was actually one of the reasons that I went with the Fusion over some of the other options.

#35 OFFLINE   muzicman61

muzicman61

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 25 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationPeoria, IL
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium Energi

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:53 AM

My 2107 FFTE will freeze my but off!  Sometimes it feels like the back is cooling and other times it doesn't.  I didn't think the back had any cooling built in so I figured it was just my imagination.   I'm going to play around with the lumbar settings to see if that makes any difference in the back cooling. 

641076.png

#36 OFFLINE   Kgrover

Kgrover

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 6 posts
  • Locationgeorgia
  • Current Vehicle:energi titanium

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:15 AM

The attached picture shows the parts breakdown for the seats.  Part 19N550A is the module for the seat back cooling.  It's got it, it just doesn't work very well.  I'm not happy with the response I received from the dealer about this and a few other issues with the car.  Lets see how many trips it takes to get them to fix it.  

Attached Files

#37 OFFLINE   Blastphemy

Blastphemy

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:10 AM

Ford's cooled seats are a joke. My salesperson outright lied to me and said that the 2015 model year seats had both seat and back cooling. That despite the cooled seat icon clearly only showing cooling from the seat (whereas Cadillac shows cooling from both the seat and the seatback). This is one of many reasons I've put Ford on my sh!t list and will never buy one again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·