Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Should we be wrapping our key fobs in foil at night?

I am still new to the key fob since I am only 3-months into owning my 2020 Fusion. I have been locking/unlocking it by touching the door handle with the fob in my pocket. Today upon unlocking the door and getting inside I found (a) the glove box door hanging open (b) the place in the overhead console for sunglasses open and after pushing the Start button (c) both map lites in the overhead console to be on. Upon beginning to back out of my driveway a warning popped up to tell me that my passenger door was ajar. A friend tells me that - although my key fob was two floors above and about 20ft or so away - it was close enough that someone just walked up to the car, touched the handle and unlocked it!  Further, if this person so desired, he could have pressed the Start button and driven away! This person was just looking for change it seems. The friend says he wraps his fob in foil at night to prevent this situation and recommends that I do the same. 

I checked the manual, and it claims that the fob needs to be within 3 feet of the handle for it to unlock the door. Seems this is not true. As a test, I left the fob in its normal place inside my home, walked down the many stairs and out to my car in the driveway, touched the door handle as usual AND THE DOOR OPENED. Soon after, I re-touched it in an effort to lock it. Wouldn't lock. I should have got in and tried pushing the Start button but didn't. Maybe another time. I still needed to lock the doors so, instead of climbing stairs, collecting the fob, etc., etc., etc., I pressed the button on the interior of the driver's door instead. This worked. I then intended to walk back inside and find some foil. But I just had to try opening the door again. I touched the handle but it remained locked. Tried every door with the same result. 

So it was back upstairs to check this forum to see what other posts may have been submitted on the topic of "Door Locks" or "Key Fob" or "Remote" or what-not. I found nothing covering long-range key fob signals and so forth. I am now thinking that, as a way to combat strangers from entering my car, I should lock it using the button on the interior since this seems to (somehow) prevent the key fob from working over a long distance. I just hope that, when I next try to open the door, having the fob very close to the handle or pressing the unlock button on it, will unlock it. 

Anyone else had experiences like these? Or had anyone suggest the use of tin foil?

So a quick search of the web reveled LOTS of postings on this topic. (Apparently, I am late in learning about certain things as usual). Most sites actually do recommend wrapping it in foil! They don't seem to think the signals the fob sends out are super powerful. Instead, they say the thieves are using signal boosting devices. I don't know. I seem to have a Super Fob. Alternatives to foil include: putting it in the microwave or fridge or buy something called a faraday bag to place it in. Meantime, both my fobs are now wrapped in foil. I will attempt to find a right-sized container that fits in my pocket, line it with foil and place the fob in it when not in use. Think about it. You could stop at a convenience store, lock the car and take the fob with you and - before you get to the store's door - someone could unlock the door, jump in, start it and drive off. In theory anyway. My advice to everyone is to check it yourself. Leave ur keys inside. go to where your car is parked and try to get in. 

I've never had anything like this.  I've had times where I wanted to test to see if it was locked.  If I put my FOB down ~6' away on the bumper of my other car and the Fusion would not unlock.  My kids often race to the car to be the first to touch a handle, and it won't unlock until I'm within 3-4 feet of the car.

I guess I have a SUPER FOB!  I wrapped it in foil like it was a piece of saltwater taffy (several layers) and folded over the ends. I put it in my pants pocket and walked up to touch the handle - and it opened. It did not start the car this time. The next day, I did the same thing with the fob in my jacket pocket instead. It opened the door and started the car too. The foil seems to prevent someone from opening the door while the fob is inside my house. I guess this is good enough even though it's a little strange