Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Replace struts/shocks for Energi?

stevon

Guys,

My Fusion  Titanium Energi has been great so far, we bought it used for $18k with 10,430 miles on it. Original owner traded it in because of the 12 volt AGM battery was defective! in any case the handling has suddenly gone downhill. At 50k miles the car suddenly started rocking like a boat on the ocean! I looked at the sway bar connections and they are not broken, worn or disconnected. Manually "bouncing" the car it rebounds 2 times not just once like when we purchased it. I guess the struts and rear shocks are suddenly shot. So to fix it I was thinking of going with complete spring, strut and top hat bearing assembly from KYB the KYB Strut-Plus kit for the front and matching KYB rear shocks. Questions:

A) are the struts/shocks the problem?

B) Replace front struts using the OEM top hats and springs?

C) should the front springs be replaced too?

D) Is KYB setup the best price/performance choice?

E) what have you guys used and the results?

PS I don't want to put junk or OEM quality parts, if possible we are keeping this car for at least 130K plus.

Stephen

Edited by stevon
over 130 kmiles if possible

I found an interesting post about Koni STR. shocks/struts on a 2013 Fusion Energi model:

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=8271

KYB Front Left Suspension Strut and Coil Spring Assembly       part# SR4724

KYB Front Right Suspension Strut and Coil Spring Assembly      part# SR4723
Koni STR.T Street Shocks and Struts 8750 1113L

Koni STR.T Street Shocks and Struts 8750 1113R

Koni adjustable rear shock                  8250 104

Stephen

Front Installed.jpg

Rear Shocks.jpg

Rear Shock.jpg

Edited by stevon

On 10/6/2023 at 10:05 PM, jsamp said:

Maybe I'm desensitized by the slow degradation, but even at 110K miles I don't have any issues with mine.

jsamp,

When we bought the Energi it handled great and drove with no rocking and predictable handling, just lately I don't feel safe changing lanes! One or all of my shocks/struts is definitely blown. I have driven and repaired cars for over 40 years, something is wrong now. When you manually push down the front of the car there is no resistance on compression, letting go the car it bounces twice! This is not normal operation on cars equipped with gas charged MacPherson struts.

Edited by stevon
bounces

• 2 months later...

I replaced mine at 75k - made the mistake of going with Monroe quick-struts - now 30k miles later the boots on them completely disintegrated.  Looking at the KYB now...not expecting this car to go much more than 3-4 years - it's in great condition but with the battery degradation and I'll be over 140k by then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 1:50 AM, stevon said:

Jonny mo,

I am going to try a set of Koni STR.T Street Shocks and Struts using the stock springs, let me know of your results if you go with the KYB set. Like how is the the ride comfort, noise, handling, tire wear etc.

Stephen

Wound up trading up to a 2020 FFE - the car is my son's at this point so I'm happy that he's got a warranty and didn't break the bank to get a relatively new/low mileage upgrade.