Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Just Saying Hello!!

Energi_916

Hi,

I just brought home (yesterday) a 2016 FFE with 24k miles. My old car bit the dust and got this puppy. Just learning and reading about how to get the most of it. 

Welcome aboard.

They work great when the temperature is above 70° F.  Turning the heater on puts a big dent in the electric range.  I use my 2013 for local driving.  The engine doesn't run from late spring through early fall.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome!  I agree that the range suffers a little below 55F or maybe a little higher.  Running the heater does kill range.  Start out with just the seat heaters on.  I do that and bring a felt blanket if I am on electric the entire time.  If you are going to be in EV Later mode, once your ICE is hot, the heater acts like that for a regular car and you can use the heat without affecting the HVB state-of-charge (SOC).  The AC is much more reasonable with HVB power draw.  With my 2015 FFE, it rarely showed more than 1.25 kW, and that wasn't for long.  With Sync 3, I don't have that info readily available.  Once it's warm, I'll use my Bluetooth OBD-II scanner and FORSCAN to determine the power draw.  Good luck and enjoy.  These cars are a pleasure to drive.  I hope Ford wakes up and starts making a BEV or longer range PHEV again before my new 2019 FFE gets really long in the tooth!

Running the heater does kill range.  Start out with just the seat heaters on.  I do that and bring a felt blanket if I am on electric the entire time.  If you are going to be in EV Later mode, once your ICE is hot, the heater acts like that for a regular car and you can use the heat without affecting the HVB state-of-charge (SOC).  The AC is much more reasonable with HVB power draw.  With my 2015 FFE, it rarely showed more than 1.25 kW, and that wasn't for long.

In my area I don't think heat is really that necessary. Maybe a handful of times in the winter.

With Sync 3, I don't have that info readily available.  Once it's warm, I'll use my Bluetooth OBD-II scanner and FORSCAN to determine the power draw.  Good luck and enjoy.  These cars are a pleasure to drive.  I hope Ford wakes up and starts making a BEV or longer range PHEV again before my new 2019 FFE gets really long in the tooth!

So is FORSCAN the goto Scanner for this vehicle (i.e the one with the most comprehensive list of PID's and access to codes other than P codes?

I have Torque app and Autel scanner but have not downloaded Ford specific software.

So is FORSCAN the goto Scanner for this vehicle (i.e the one with the most comprehensive list of PID's and access to codes other than P codes?I have Torque app and Autel scanner but have not downloaded Ford specific software.

Don't use Torque just yet. I'll look for a post tomorrow that will outline a problem, and how to avoid it.

Basically, if you have your OBDII plugged in at startup and Torque active, Torque tries to discover the protocol it should use at the same time the car is doing something on that same bus or something, and there's some collision and your Energi goes temporarily insane. Warning lights and chimes and temporary no start, etc.

Don't use Torque just yet. I'll look for a post tomorrow that will outline a problem, and how to avoid it.

Basically, if you have your OBDII plugged in at startup and Torque active, Torque tries to discover the protocol it should use at the same time the car is doing something on that same bus or something, and there's some collision and your Energi goes temporarily insane. Warning lights and chimes and temporary no start, etc.

I've found the posts on this.thread. Posts 14, 15, and 17. 

Even after applying the solution listed in Post 15 and successfully testing it once, I'm still gun-shy and pull the OBDII adapter after each use so it and Torque Pro won't be communicating at startup.  

I used the Windows version of Forscan (free) to enable the DRLs in my 2013 Fusion Energi after my dealer refused to do it. 

You need a high quality OBD reader to minimize bus interference.

I use this one.

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxbt/

The same problem happened to a Subaru owner using that OBDLink MX.  I was using ScanTool's lower version OBDLink LX.  Page 2 of that Subaru thread has a report of the problem happening when using a generic ELM adapter (so it's not just ScanTool adapters).  ScanTool staff have said it's a known issue with Torque.

So is FORSCAN the goto Scanner for this vehicle (i.e the one with the most comprehensive list of PID's and access to codes other than P codes?

I have Torque app and Autel scanner but have not downloaded Ford specific software.

With Torque Pro, you have to enter PIDs individually for the odd Energi-specific things of interest, like documented here for the energy to empty estimate PID.  I had originally found a lot of these on various forums and saved the original links, but now those links are coming up "Account suspended", so I can't help you find what to enter for useful PIDs like the HVB battery temperature.  I could try to see if I can reverse engineer by looking at what's in my phones that have this info, but IIRC I tried that once and came up empty.

In short, unless you're good at this stuff, or have good sources, I'd go right to FORScan Lite.  I just bought that app myself for my new phone.

I've found the posts on this.thread. Posts 14, 15, and 17.

Thanks for the reference posts and for the Caveat with using Torque. I'll read those posts.

With Torque Pro, you have to enter PIDs individually for the odd Energi-specific things of interest, like documented here for the energy to empty estimate PID.  I had originally found a lot of these on various forums and saved the original links, but now those links are coming up "Account suspended", so I can't help you find what to enter for useful PIDs like the HVB battery temperature.  I could try to see if I can reverse engineer by looking at what's in my phones that have this info, but IIRC I tried that once and came up empty.

In short, unless you're good at this stuff, or have good sources, I'd go right to FORScan Lite.  I just bought that app myself for my new phone.

This is similar to what I had to do on my other cars and Torque. I downloaded some generic ones from their website but I also tried some custom PID's by searching forums, etc. Some worked but some others did not or gave results that did not make sense. I eventually gave up and stopped using Torque for specific PID's. Torque is great for logging though (with standard/working PID's).

I also recently got an Autel Handheld scanner to diagnose a transmission issue with one of my other cars and it worked great. Was able to get specific manufacturer codes and able to clear them once the fix was in. On this one, you can also download specific Ford software but have not tried. The graphing sucks though since it's a handheld. I will look into FORSCAN too then.

I used the Windows version of Forscan (free) to enable the DRLs in my 2013 Fusion Energi after my dealer refused to do it. 

You need a high quality OBD reader to minimize bus interference.

I use this one.

https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxbt/

I see, so this sounds like it's a PC based program. So is the bus interference what is causing the issues mentioned above? I will look into it.

Edited by Energi_916