Ford Fusion Energi Forum

"Close the fuel door" sign and check engine light

Hello!

I just bought a 2014 Fusion Energi Titanium, everything seemed okay until several days ago, I refueled it and after closing the fuel door, "Close the fuel door" sign appeared on the dash. Although, the door itself is actually closed and is working fine. At first I thought that it might be a fuel door spring problem (part number: DM5Z9928610A), but I dismantled it and there is nothing in there that could have been broken.

Maybe some of you guys have experienced the same problem. I checked some posts and when they have similar problem, mostly their fuel door either is not opening properly, or not closing. As I said, mine is working fine, the only problem is the sign, which causes Check Engine Light to illuminate and this light prevents car to start remotely with key. (as I know, being unable to use remote start when SES light is on is normal and I also know that when a fuel door is open during three driving cycles, the illuminated SES light is normal).

So, the problem is that, although the fuel door is closed, the car thinks that it is open, which causes all of my problems. I cannot take it to the dealer, because I live in the country of Georgia and I imported an used car from California. We have only one Ford dealer in Georgia and they hesitate to work with imported cars that they have not sold themselves. So, I would appreciate your advises.

Edited by GSamkh

If you are getting the sign on the dash it means the car's computer is not getting a signal that the door has latched properly.

Maybe you have a bad one. Do you have a way to get Body/Chasis Codes? Without those the best thing is to try to look for something

that could be interfering the latch/switch mechanism or just replace the part and see if it solves the problem

Edited by Energi_916

In case you aren't aware the fuel tank of an Energi is pressurized. 

When you push the button to open the fuel door the system depressurizes the tank and then opens the door.

When the door is closed the system pressurizes the tank.

Attached is the wiring for the fuel door.  Note that it has a motor to latch the door closed.

EnergiFuel.PDF

So, the problem is that, although the fuel door is closed, the car thinks that it is open, which causes all of my problems. I cannot take it to the dealer, because I live in the country of Georgia and I imported an used car from California. We have only one Ford dealer in Georgia and they hesitate to work with imported cars that they have not sold themselves. So, I would appreciate your advises.

I recall one old post (can't find it) where a guy had this problem, and the issue was that there is a little magnet mounted inside the fuel door that operates a magnetic switch that tells the car that it is closed.  He found the magnet had slipped from it's mounted position inside the fuel door.  It needed to be glued in back in its proper location to work.  This is going completely from memory of the post, not experience.  Anyway, see if you can find how to disassemble the door and see if the magnet moved.

Edit:  Found the post:  https://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1646-gas-door/page-2?hl=%2Bfuel+%2Bdoor+%2Bmagnet&do=findComment&comment=31862

Edited by jsamp

If you are getting the sign on the dash it means the car's computer is not getting a signal that the door has latched properly.

Maybe you have a bad one. Do you have a way to get Body/Chasis Codes? Without those the best thing is to try to look for something

that could be interfering the latch/switch mechanism or just replace the part and see if it solves the problem

I read the code and it is P04B5 and the code description matches my problem.

In case you aren't aware the fuel tank of an Energi is pressurized. 

When you push the button to open the fuel door the system depressurizes the tank and then opens the door.

When the door is closed the system pressurizes the tank.

Attached is the wiring for the fuel door.  Note that it has a motor to latch the door closed.

attachicon.gif EnergiFuel.PDF

I actually read about that, but it does not help me with the problem I'm having. Anyway, thanks for the info.

I recall one old post (can't find it) where a guy had this problem, and the issue was that there is a little magnet mounted inside the fuel door that operates a magnetic switch that tells the car that it is closed.  He found the magnet had slipped from it's mounted position inside the fuel door.  It needed to be glued in back in its proper location to work.  This is going completely from memory of the post, not experience.  Anyway, see if you can find how to disassemble the door and see if the magnet moved.

Edit:  Found the post:  https://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/1646-gas-door/page-2?hl=%2Bfuel+%2Bdoor+%2Bmagnet&do=findComment&comment=31862

Thank you, actually I do hear some noises from the fuel door when I open it, sounds like something is loose inside of it. I will check it and post the results here.

There are two posts sticking out from the inside of the fuel door.

The magnet is on the underside of the tip of the upper post. 

There appears to be a recess that it fits into.

I don't known if orientation matters but if there is any residual glue on the magnet, that is the up direction.

Thanks for the reply. You mean this place, right?: https://ibb.co/6y3QBc9 and this hole is divided into two and as I understand, it should be in the upper post. Also, should the magnet go all the way in? When I tried to put it inside of this hole's upper post I could not push it deep inside. I put it in that position, checked it and it still showed on the dash that the fuel door was open. I was thinking, maybe the system needs to reset after putting the magnet on its original position for the "close the fuel door" sign to go away?

My fuel door looks different.  I'll post some pictures.

Thanks, that will be great.

Update: It worked, I put the magnet on its original location and both "Close the fuel door" sign and "Check engine light" went away.

Thank you for your help!

Edited by GSamkh

• 2 years later...
On 02.02.2019 at 23:54, GSamkh said:

Спасибо, будет здорово.

Обновление: это сработало, я поместил магнит на его исходное место, и оба знака «Закройте топливный люк» и «Проверьте индикатор двигателя» исчезли.

Спасибо за помощь!

Dear friend. I'm from Ukraine. Tell me please, where find this magnet for buy? I lost my magnet at a gas station.

Maybe part number or link.