Ford Fusion Energi Forum

2016 Fusion Energi Charger Issues

LaffyYaffee

My charger for my 2016 Fusion Energi recently started displaying the amber flashing yellow plug warning (outlet symbol, not red triangle).  I tried another outlet and it worked for a bit then displayed flashing red with exclamation point.  The prongs were warm to the touch which obviously isn't good.  Any suggestions on dealing with this?  Car has 63k miles so dealer says it's likely not under warranty so they would charge me diagnostic and cost of new charger if it buy it from them.   Is it likely just the charger or couold it be a problem with my hybrid battery wherte I should get  vehicles checked by dealer regardless?   Thanks.

I'm not sure from your description which charger you have.  Is it the old one with a white J1772 connector for the car, or the new one with the black J1772?:

Old:   image.png.6bd7021d641b78e43fc5992eaa4ade7a.png                           New: image.png.9d24cd975fc85cec4e07dbb9020e4e9a.png

The new one has a thermal fuse in the 120V plug that will shut it down if it gets too hot.  The old ones were recalled and replaced with the new ones to reduce a fire hazard from overheating at the plug.  If you have an old one, you *might* be able to get it replaced under the recall.