Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Fusion Energi 2017 Battery Issues

stevon

Hello all,

Haven't been here in a few years but I am now again a new owner of a used Fusion Energi. We bought the car a few days ago, a 2017 Energi Titanium from Gosch Ford in Temecula, CA.

The car has 13k miles and we paid 18,000 for it. Was that a good deal? well when we looked at the car it has a  flawless appearance but it was odd that the salesman had to jump start the Fusion to demonstrate the car. We traded in our old car, did the paperwork and drove the Fusion home. Charged Hybrid battery overnight and used the car the next day. Problems commence! it took my wife a half hour to get inside the car with the remote key Fob and then 20 minutes pushing the start button to get it to turn over. She got the car home and we drove it to the nearest Ford dealer as this was authorized by the Gosch dealer we bought it from (45 miles away). Today at work I looked into this issue and found out that the 2017 has a long full history of dead battery problems! We arranged to get the car to another Gosch dealer (only 20 miles away) and dropped it off there. Is there anything I should tell the dealer to check? They sold it to me as a certified car with a quoted " has a full factory warranty" When we talked to local Ford dealer checking out the car they said the car is not under factory warranty and demanded 169 bucks! Today when we picked up the car at Pearson Ford (local), the car was dead and required the key to get into the car. Push start button did nothing, couldn’t open the trunk and we tried to get to release handle in the trunk via back seat but could not reach the manual release. Finally a worker at Pearson helped us out and jumped started the car from under the hood, he said to us “the dead battery happens quite a lot on these cars, I jump them all the time” Having a constant parasitic drain on any battery will eventually destroy it, also loading the alternator to 100% performance will shorten it’s life too. What a fiasco! no wonder a car with that low mileage was traded in in the first place! I can still return the car in 28 days for credit but no one has a car for that price with the Hybrid option. She drives a hundred miles a day. Please let me know your thoughts keep it? return it? demand to kill the deal? am I stuck with a lemon? buy a jump starter box and bring with? can it be fixed? Thanks

Timewellspent,

I did demand a new battery if that is the original one that came with the car, we should hear back from them soon. I hope the battery is the only issue, time will tell if that is the only problem. I ordered a portable jump starter to keep in the car just in case. 

STANLEY P2G7S Simple Start Lithium Ion Portable Power and Vehicle Battery Booster

Stephen

Yes,  $18K for a 2 year old Energi with only 13k miles is a good deal.

They should definitely replace the battery gratis.  It is part of the original 3yr/36k mile warranty.  It is definitely a known issue, especially on '17s.  I seem to recall there being a software update to address that on the 17's.

If your wife has a 100 mile commute, the Energi will only offer marginal benefit because the battery can only do 20 of it.  Depending on your electricity cost, it may or may not be worth it.  A standard hybrid fusion would be nearly as good an option.  The Energi will be better, but likely not by much.  (that doesn't change the battery issue though).

17 hours ago, jsamp said:

Jsamp,

Yes we did get a new battery Gratis. We picked up the car yesterday, so far no problems. the service receipt showed only that the battery was diagnosed as bad, was replaced and that all dtcs were reprogramed. whatever that means, see details below:

Cause/ Action to take

50-MISC- low voltage dtcs in all modules

Correction/Action to Take

Replace battery and release vehicle

Ids test found low voltage dtcs perform reprogram all modules

50-AC-ELEC-TRIM- battery fsailed conductance test and it failed 590

Rating tested 290 after recharge

Replace battery

Yeah, she drives my Chevy Volt every day now but want's the battery topped off every chance she gets. Her commute isn't a 100 miles a day she just drives like crazy and runs up a hundred miles a day, with her previous Nissan Rogue she was spending a $100 a week on gas. She needs the Hybrid mileage (actual 35 mpg+) and absolutely no "battery anxiety" or running out of gas fears,  I think the Fusion Energi will work for her just fine.  We wanted just a Hybrid Fusion (gets slightly better mileage) but couldn't find one with less than 40k miles on it and in the Titanium trim. I grabbed the Energi car as soon as I heard about it but she still complains that the paint wasn't black! But seeing this deal at that price I quickly traded in her 2014 Optima with 95k miles, has an ABS problem and a half re-painted body. We eliminated her still paying $475 a month payment on the KIA (a "wash" trade in value against loan payoff) and her new payment is $301 all done! I think this is the better solution for her, the KIA dealer wanted $2700 to fix the ABS issue. The Fusion grey magnetic paint color is a minor problem/concession for her to deal with. The KIA was parked at our house just collecting dust and spider webs plus I haven't been driving my Chevy Volt now for 2 months! I have to drive my truck to work!

Stephen

$18K for a 2 year old Energi with only 13k miles is a good deal.

They should definitely replace the battery gratis.  It is part of the original 3yr/36k mile warranty.  It is definitely a known issue, especially on '17s.  I seem to recall there being a software update to address that on the 17's.

If your wife has a 100 mile commute, the Energi will only offer marginal benefit because the battery can only do 20 of it.  Depending on your electricity cost, it may or may not be worth it.  A standard hybrid fusion would be nearly as good an option.  The Energi will be better, but likely not by much.  (that doesn't change the battery issue though).

Edited by stevon
Range Anxiety

4 minutes ago, stevon said:

Murphy,

That could be an option, how good is the clearcoat on those wraps? Can wraps be removed without damaging the paint underneath?

Stephen

I have never had it done so I don't have first hand experience.  It is my understanding that it can be removed. 

NASCAR vehicles are all wrapped to put the sponsors advertising on the car.  If they don't have the same sponsor every week they have to wrap on a weekly basis.

On 9/30/2020 at 7:08 AM, Timewellspent said:

I would have the dealer you purchased from put in a new 12v battery (for free) and see if that solves your issue.

Timewellspent,

Yeah the battery was replaced N/C by Gosch, the dealer that we bought the car from. I was not refunded the $169 dollar diagnostic fee charged by the local dealer so I guess you could say I paid for the new battery. We have had no problems since the repair and now her car is reliable. I wish I could say the same for my 2017 Chevy Volt with 42k miles ! The Volt's electric motors died while driving on the highway. OnStar towed the car to a local Chevy dealer. These were the codes found:

• P1AEE – Drive Motor 1 Control Module Hybrid/EV Battery System Voltage High Voltage
  • P1AEF – Drive Motor 2 Control Module Hybrid/EV Battery System Voltage High Voltage
  • P1AF0 – Drive Motor 1 Control Module Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage System Isolation Lost
  • P1AF2 – Drive Motor 2 Control Module Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage System Isolation Lost
  • P1E22 – Auxiliary Transmission Fluid Pump Control Module Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage

Diagnosis "complete transaxle failure, transaxle requires replacement". They gave me a rental car while the new drivetrain is on order, complex cars....complex problems, I'm lucky this happened under warranty!

Stephen

Edited by stevon

• 1 year later...

I have a ford fusion energi 2016. Bought it new. For the last two years have had the dead battery issue. Had three battery replacements. Three Ford dealers looked at it. Every time I pay for the diagnosis and every time the come up with "there is a parasitic load on the system", or they say the battery needs replacement. The batteries need replacement because the car runs the battery down every night it is charging. When we don't charge the car and run it on gas for days we have no problem with the battery. As soon as we plug it in, it charges to about 19kms and then the system recognizes the battery voltage is low and it shuts down the whole system, stops charging and then everything is dead and the car has to be jump started, EVERY morning. 

We contacted Ford, how apparently have no idea how to diagnose the issue. It is either a design flaw or a manufacturing defect. Likely the latter as it doesn't seem to happen with all vehicles but it happens with enough to suggest it is a Ford issue. Their should be no "wear and tare" of electrical circuits, and someone at Ford should know how to diagnose these issues. The dealers have no idea and neither does Ford seem to know what to do. The car seems to be smart enough to see their is a drain on the battery, while the technicians seem to be unable to. The car has to be tested while it is charging, but so far no-one has done that. The dealer is eager to do more testing, the 4th time, and to replace the battery junction box, but does not provide assurance that it will fix the problem. How can it be possible that there is such an obvious issue that replicates itself every single time we charge the car but no-one is able to diagnose the problem??? 

After explaining all of this to the dealer they said they will contact Ford technical services. After waiting two weeks Ford came back with advice for the dealer who contacted me. Their advice was...wait for it...they recommend the dealer do a draw test on the car. Ha, who would have thought of that. Brilliant. Thanks Ford!  

I've had two recalls on the car. There seem to be enough people complaining about the dead battery issue that it should be diagnosed and recalled. Ford does not care if it's just a few customers with lemons that they sold them. Only when the pressure comes from a large number of customers. I'm sure Henry Ford would be proud of his legacy...NOT!

On 9/12/2022 at 6:44 PM, FusionFantasy said:

I have a ford fusion energi 2016. Bought it new. For the last two years have had the dead battery issue. Had three battery replacements. Three Ford dealers looked at it. Every time I pay for the diagnosis and every time the come up with "there is a parasitic load on the system", or they say the battery needs replacement. The batteries need replacement because the car runs the battery down every night it is charging.

Just a wild-ass guess here based on your description... There are some wires that pass through from the interior to the trunk area.  They are in the trunk battery compartment area (left side), between the back seat and the battery.  They have a tendency to rub and short out on a sharp sheet-metal edge that sticks up where they pass over it.  These wires run one of the cooling fans in the trunk.  If one of those is shorting, but the fan only has power when charging or running, it would drain the battery when charging, but not driving.  I would think it would blow a fuse, but might be worth looking at none the less.  There's another thread somewhere on this site that talks about that issue.

Also, insist to the dealership to check for every available software update for every single module. On my 2017, not only were the original factory 12V batteries defective that year but there were numerous software updates for numerous modules that needed to be installed to deal with 12V battery drain.