Ford Fusion Energi Forum

What Level 2 Charger did you buy/install?

jeff_h

What L2 Charger did you (or will you) choose?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Which charger is for you?

• Leviton 30 Amp
    • Leviton 32 Amp
    • GE Wattstation 30 Amp
    • Siemens Versicharge 30 Amp
    • AreoVironment 30 Amp
    • Eaton 30 Amp
    • Other brand/type not listed (or reply so it can be added)
    • Don't plan to get L2 charger, using the 120v cord that came with my Energi
    • Leviton 16 Amp
    • Clipper Creek 25 Amp
    • Clipper Creek 40 Amp
    • JuiceBox
    • Bosch PowerMax 30A

Has anyone here tried or own a JuiceBox L2 charger? I like that they are opensource and the top model fully assembled is about half the cost of Ford's L2 charger. It is more than enough to max out the Energi's charging capacity. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with them?

Juicebox L2 Charger

Edited by Joatnm

Missed the Leviton 240V 16 amp (3.8kw) charger.  That's what I went with.  Car has a 3.3KW charger onboard and I didn't want to add a huge load to the grid, especially during summertime.  I also do not intend to get rid of this car for a very, verrrrrrrrry long time. :)

Ordered from Amazon with the install kit and did the work myself.

This is the EVSE my parents have to charge their C-Max Energi.

Sorry about that, thanks for the link, added the 25 Amp, let me know if there are other Level 2 chargers from CC that should be listed, thanks.

We have the Clipper Creek HCS-40 which is shared between the Focus Electric and the Fusion Energi.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took the plunge today and ordered the Clipper Creek HCS-60. I know it is complete overkill for the Fusion Energi but I figured since the wife's 2001 Beetle (Don't ask she loves that damn thing) will most likely be replaced in the next year or so with a full electric or another PHEV I figured might as well prepare now. Since I am in Los Angeles there is a benefit of a $750 DWP credit so I figured that makes this a $149 unit which isn't too bad! Now I still have a $60 Permit, Cable, Conduit and a weekend project to add to the bill but this still seems pretty reasonable considering the shorter charge times. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

As of June 2015, which Level 2 home charger does everyone now recommend? Should I use a specific company to install the charger? 

I have been charging my 2013 FFE for 2+ years just using a 110/120v wall outlet in my garage. But now I thought I'd check to see what everyone has had success with. What are the prices of Level 2 chargers now? Is there any kind of a rebate or tax credit if one buys/installs an L2? I know it probably varies by State. I'm in Arizona.

Also, has anyone used a gizmo that allows one to use an existing 240v outlet that is already dedicated for another appliance (for example, one's clothes dryer)? I've heard there is something that comes with a switch that can be used to charge one's car but you have to be sure you set the switch to "car" instead of "dryer." The dryer is in the room just off my garage. 

I don't absolutely need the L2 charger but thought it would be nice to have for the few occasions when I use my car more than once a day. Installing a new 240v outlet in my garage would be very expensive for me because the power box is on the opposite side of my house and the installer would have to run the wires up and across my roof. I have no attic or even a crawlspace. I've had estimates of $1000 just to run new wires across my roof

As always, any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.

Looks like you can get up to a $75 credit in Arizona on L2 Charger.

Here is a site to look at benefits: http://www.pluginamerica.org/incentives

As far as chargers go, I think you will get a different answer depending on who you ask. The Clipper Creeks are very popular and reasonably priced and I have not heard anything negative about them. I have a Bosch, I liked the unit and cord length for my garage (I think a BEV is in my future and wanted it to reach both sides. I also wanted a 30A even though my car can not use it now.) 

I had mine installed by a Bosch contractor because it gave me an extended warranty, also at the time I bought my car most people I asked about installing them were saying "you want to install a what?".

I think they are much more common now and call around like you would any other electrical work.  If you are comfortable opening an electrical box and installing a breaker, then I know many that have gone that route as well. 

Edited by meyersnole

Thank you so much, meyersnole, for a very helpful post. I belong to Plugin America and should have thought to check what they recommend. I also belong to the local EAA club here in Phoenix and have already sent an email to the President of the club.

I too have heard good things about Bosch. I think I'll call them and ask if they will come out and check out my situation. And I too would love to get an EV eventually so I guess that means I should also get a 30A L2 charger. 

I have a friend who is having a dedicated 220v outlet installed in her garage next week by having an electrician run the wires across her flat roof. I think I'll wait to see what her guy charges. The $1000 fee I've been quoted before has been a deal-breaker. That didn't even include the L2 charger. 

But I will make some phone calls. The experience and reputation of the electrician is going to be very important to me. I don't want someone who is unfamiliar with L2 chargers. Someone who owns a plugin hybrid or EV would be a big plus. 

Thanks again. 

Okay, my brain is hurting. Yes, I dream about owning a Tesla. I'll probably never own one but it is the dream car for me. If not the Tesla, then I'd like to possibly get one of the 200-mile EVs being touted as coming in the next 1-3 years. It would have to be something a lot less expensive than the Tesla. 

So, if I have a 30 (amp?) outlet/wiring installed, how difficult would it be to make it a 40-something? 

'Sorry, but I'm just electrically-challenged. I'm trying to educate myself but I obviously need more help. 

Thanks. 

One thing that is important to remember is that the plug rating is the MAX power.  For constant draw you need to take 80% of the rating.  So for supporting a 30A charger in the future you really should install a minimum 40A circuit (40 * 0.8 = 32). A 50A circuit will support a 40A charger. Tesla is going to have a car that is expected to be in the price range of the Energi in a few years when their new battery plant opens.  I would get a 40 or 50 amp plug installed and then get a charger that can plug in (rather than being hardwired). Sometimes the max circuit you can install depends on if your supply from the electric company and electrical box can handle it.  An electrician should be able to tell you if it would be too much for your situation.

Tell the electrician that you have family w/ an RV that needs a 14-50R so they can plug in when they're at your house.  I've heard electricians add a premium as soon as they hear "EV" or "Charger" or anything of the sort.  Also park your car in front of a neighbors house or something when they come until you get a quote.  If nothing else get a couple quotes like this to compare to your other quotes. If the quotes are cheaper it should cover the cost of getting an adapter to plug to fit whatever charger you get if it doesn't already have a 14-50Plug.

The wiring gets kinda pricey at 50A plugs though so the closer you can have it to your circuit box the better. A 5ft run to the plug for a charger with a 25ft cable coming out of it may be cheaper than getting it run 15 ft run to the plug and buying a charger w/ a 15ft cable. Of course some of the chargers are a little more limited on the cord length.

So, if I have a 30 (amp?) outlet/wiring installed, how difficult would it be to make it a 40-something?

Upgrading an existing plug will most likely be just as expensive, if not more expensive, than just installing a new plug.  Most likely the wire will not support a 40A circuit, and new wire will need to be run. If an electrician offers to do it w/o replacing the wire I would be *very* suspicious.  Wiring is one of the worst things to have undersized because it's typically hidden behind a wall so you won't know you have a problem unless the breaker keeps tripping for what seems like no reason or something catches fire because the breaker is worn out and no longer trips.

Edited for typo/clarification

Edited by Doug0716

Another thing to consider when having the wire run is how pretty it needs to look. I was lucky and had the breaker box in my garage, but it is also a finished (dry wall) garage and the electrician asked if it would be ok to run conduit outside the drywall. 

I obliged as that was a lot less labor, and did the drywall work into the box myself where the conduit went into the wall under the box. The more amperage you request the more expensive the wire is going to be to run, so you will have to balance that as well. Nominal to the project, but still calculates into the final cost.

I am pretty sure that the Tesla would charge with the 30A unit, just slower than it would with a 40A or 50A. You would need the adapter though.  Of course if you had a Tesla and lived near a Supercharger then you would want to take advantage of that from time to time (free power)  http://www.teslamotors.com/findus#/bounds/49.38,-66.94,25.82,-124.39?search=supercharger&name=us

One thing many people forget to include in their calculations when looking at the purchase of a full electric car is the cost of the gasoline that they will no longer be buying.  As an Energi owner that may not be significant.  I don't take trips out of town with my Energi so I spent $36 for gasoline in 2014 and still have 1/3 of that tank left.  I also have 10 kW of PV solar panels so my electricity is free, ignoring what I paid for the panels since I consider that to be a home improvement similar to adding a room to the house.

It is almost certain that a 30 amp dryer circuit was run with 10 gauge wire.  The most continuous current that can be drawn from that outlet in the USA is 80% or 24 amps.  The highest current that a Tesla with a single charger installed can use is 40 amps.  40 amps continuous requires a 50 amp circuit (80% of 50 is 40).  A 50 amp circuit, up to about a 100 foot run, requires 4 conductor (two hots, neutral, ground) 6 gauge wire.  That is about $150.00 just for the wire.

Do you have any friends that might be electricians or know an electrician that could give you advice in person?  Advice from me or anyone else on the internet is worth exactly what you paid for it.  I can't evaluate your situation from 2000 miles away.

...I am pretty sure that the Tesla would charge with the 30A unit, just slower than it would with a 40A or 50A. You would need the adapter though.  Of course if you had a Tesla and lived near a Supercharger then you would want to take advantage of that from time to time (free power)  http://www.teslamotors.com/findus#/bounds/49.38,-66.94,25.82,-124.39?search=supercharger&name=us...

The TESLA comes with numerous adapters for both other chargers and outlets for the TESLA charger.  For example, the normal 240 plug has an adapter for 120.  You just need to go on vacation for the 120 to charge the car.

Thank you so much to everyone. 

At this point, I am just waiting to hear back from the president of our local electric auto club. He owns a Ford Focus EV and a Kia Soul EV and he is very "up" on all the latest. Also, the club has members who have Teslas, Volts, BMW i3, and several other plugin car types. I agree that they key is to find an electrician who knows his stuff and who won't try to rip me off. 

But in any event, I can still just stay with my 110/120v wall outlet for charging my FFE overnight. It's been working great for over 2 years. Then if I win the Lottery or someone gives me a Tesla, I'll just have to deal with a faster charger at that time. I'm sure it will be a minimum 1 year before I even start to consider moving to a pure EV. A lot can change in that time. 

I love my FFE but have always yearned for an EV with at least 100 miles. 

I haven't bought any level II chargers.  Living on the stock charger just like Mrs. bc now for about 2 years time.  Works well for me, the Cmax battery isn't that big anyways, the 120v can charge it in under 6 hours if flat and shorter if not.  I usually leave it sit somewhere around 60%  charge so when I need a full charge it isn't much longer than a level II charger anyways from flat.

I'll most likely skip over level II charging and jump to level 4 when that time comes and I get a car with a big enough battery that needs that to charge back up overnight.

-=>Raja.