Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Energi states is waiting to charge. But won’t start charging.

Pacific NW Guy

I have a 2019 energi.  I can’t get it to start charging.  The charger has a solid green light.  The port ring shows its current charge. And the instrument panel shows the car plugged in.  Everything is the same as always.  But nothing charges.  Open the my Ford app up and it tells me that it’s waiting to vharge.  I have it set to charge now, I have no times set in my go or value charge.  I did have this problem last week and decided to do an update on the sync software.  The car started charging for a few days like normal right after the install again.  Then it stopped today.  It charges fine at charge stations.  It’s in a good charge plug on the house.  Frustrated as hell.   Anybody else have this problem?

Mine was doing this to me randomly when I was trying to use Value Charge profiles to get the car set up to avoid charging during the day over the summer. It was inconsistent and sometimes doing the opposite of what I had programmed, so I deleted all the value charge profiles and charge locations and that fixed it.

Something else that will do this is if the car is connected to the EVSE and the EVSE loses power, at least for a few minutes. Something to the effect of a built-in, randomized 30-minute delay timer to avoid EVs all charging immediately and slamming the grid when power outages happen.

Alright.   I just deleted all go times, charge values and locations.  It still show waiting to charge.  I don’t know anyone else that has a charger, and of course the dealership won’t let me check with one of there’s without an appt. and a complete check, which would be almost two months out for an appt.  any other ideas would be appreciated.   

I went nuclear and unplugged everything on that circuit.  Nothing is turn on that was plugged in, but I said screw it and unplugged everything anyway.  Replugged the cord into the car, and it started charging.  Really weird.  That last couple years I’ve had this vehicle, this problem never happened with everything plugged in.  Wth.  Thinking about buying a aftermarket charger now.  

On 10/29/2021 at 4:39 AM, murphy said:

An EVSE is supposed to be on a dedicated circuit that has no other outlets.

I had a dedicated outlet when I was in Arizona but since I moved I use a non-dedicated outlet.  Never had an issue.  I would be doubtful the charger has a way of detecting other devices on the same circuit.

Any chance your dealership would "loan" you a charger for a day?  I know the salesman at my dealership would happily go grab a charger from another vehicle on the lot and loan it to me for a day.  Service Manager would probably do the same.

Just very strange.  Like what is it waiting for to charge?  Sounds like it thinks there is a value charge, schedule or go time setting, even though you said there is not.  I'm skeptical a new charger is going to resolve the issue.  

If I look at my app, it says "Blue Eyed Dragon is plugged in, waiting to charge at Home"  Then says in small print "Charging will occur from 11:00pm, 10/31 to 3:42am 11/1. "

Maybe you need to actually set a charge time and see if that works.  That would at least tell you the charger is fine (which I now believe it is.)