Ford Fusion Energi Forum

I’m new!

Sandy

On 4/9/2022 at 10:10 AM, Sandy said:

I just purchased a 2015 energi! I charged the battery and it says only 14 miles on the ev charge. Shouldn’t it be 28? Please help me understand! 

This number is only an estimate, and it was derived from the previous time the car was driven. Ford gives a number, and people think it's cast in concrete. What Ford doesn't say is that the number is good, only if you don't drive the car. Fast starts from stop lights, not using regenerative breaking correctly, using A/C, using heat, headlights, driving on the Freeway at 70+, MPH, and the beat goes on. Plus, how many miles are on the Energi. It's a 2015, could have 50,000 to 150,000 miles on the odometer. The battery degrades over time, charge, discharge cycles, plugging the car in while the battery is still hot, will degrade the battery. If you live in a hot or cold climate, all this effects battery capacity. I have a 2016 Energi, with 47,000 miles. I do drive conservatively. I do manage the battery, EV now, while driving to the FWY, switch over to EV later while on the FWY, EV now driving below 45 MPH. I show only 18 max, on Ev charge, and this is on a good day, most times it's less. But, it is what it is. You just can't drive it like an ICE only car, you need to be gentle with the gas pedal, and plan your stops, slow down a block away, not just race from stop light to stop light. I do use heat and A/C, because I won't drive hot or cold. Follow some of these ideas, your mileage on EV just might increase. But, I wouldn't expect 28 EV miles, ever.

While a used 2015 "can" still possibly get 21 miles (the stated range of a new 2015 Energi) it is highly unlikely.  Time and miles both degrade batteries so to get like new performance is pretty much a dream.  If it was well cared for by driving gently in EV mode, using the battery carefully, charging only what was needed, etc. it can still get close to new performance.  But you don't have knowledge nor control over what the previous owner did.  So you get what you get out of the car.

My 2015 with 95k miles gets ~21 miles per charge on the freeway and 28 around town, but I REALLY baby my battery.

Rather than using the inaccurate estimated miles on the dash, do the HVB test to measure kWh used on a charge:

1. charge to 100%, set a trip odometer to 0 and put it in EV mode
  2. drive <50MPH until the car locks you out of EV mode (usually 15-30 seconds after screen says 0% charge)
  3. read the kWh on the trip odometer

Note that best results are at ~70°F

A "like new" battery gets 5.5-5.6kWh in the above test.  Anything above 5.0 is pretty good.  I'm guessing yours is in the 4.0-4.5 range so it has lost a fair amount of capacity.  There's nothing that can be done to change that, but careful charging/driving habits can reduce further degradation.

• 3 weeks later...