Ford Fusion Energi Forum

New Energi - No range displayed on battery icon?

expresspotato

Well, they took MPGe and lifetime out as part of the "fix" that reduced the advertised MPG and MPGe. From their perspective, that way folks won't know if their MPGe is not what is advertised. Of course, we can calculate it ourselves (and I do), but that takes work, and most folks won't do it.

With the miles remaining, since that is based on the recent usage, it can be very deceptive as to how many miles actually can be driven - and it takes some thinking to figure this out. To the casual user, it is just "inaccurate", and so they complain to the dealer. And then Ford removes it so people won't be confused, leaving those of us with the brains to understand without the information.

The recommendations for putting the percentage up there are interesting, but of course the graphic already presents the approximate percentage.

Because most consumers are stupid and don't understand the data. They then complain about the data. Thus Ford takes it away to stop the complaints. Since most buyers won't know that these features existed previously, the complaints about features being taken away are less than the complaints that are silenced by removing these features.

This reminds me of the voltage dial thing.

Customers didn't understand that it's normal for a 12-volt system to be at 14 volts when the car is on and 12.5ish when the engine isn't running. They complained that it was too high, so they took the dial away and made it a light. Then, people complained that it was just a light and they wanted their dial back - So now there's a dial that is always centered perfectly or all the way to the left. Yup, it's still a binary value just like the light was, but people are satisfied that they have an "accurate" reading now. 

Sigh. Stupid (and ignorant) people suck.

• 2 weeks later...

So Ford's answer to any complaint is..."take it away"?

So far items taken away:

1. Lifetime Summary

2. MPGe

3. Trip meter gas burn amount

4. Battery range in miles on HVB icon

What's next...Speed limit signs in the GPS?

-=>Raja.

Here's a recommendation for Ford - CUSTOMER SERVICE PEOPLE ARE YOU LISTENING?  Instead of TAKING AWAY detailed views such as mpge, lifetime summary and now estimated miles EV range on top of the battery icon just because the whiny simpletons complain about it....here is what you should do.  

LEAVE the detailed data settings AVAILABLE as an option for those of us smart enough and educated enough to read/interpret that data, but just change the DEFAULT FACTORY SETUP to the "simpleton" mode that you think will reduce complaints.  BUT DON'T TAKE AWAY THE ABILITY FOR US TO HAVE THAT INFORMATION COMPLETELY!!!!!!!!!   That way, those of us who LIKE our highly advanced car can read the manual and enable ALL the available options if we want to!

Edited by EnergiCCAATS

I'd like to know how much gas I burn on each trip. My Volt and ELR were able to tell me that, but I can't find that information in the Fusion. Is it hidden away somewhere that I'm missing?

Apparently they took that out for 2015. It used to be in the trip meter enhanced mode. It looks like there is no enhanced mode for 2015.

Here's a recommendation for Ford - CUSTOMER SERVICE PEOPLE ARE YOU LISTENING?  Instead of TAKING AWAY detailed views such as mpge, lifetime summary and now estimated miles EV range on top of the battery icon just because the whiny simpletons complain about it....here is what you should do.  

LEAVE the detailed data settings AVAILABLE as an option for those of us smart enough and educated enough to read/interpret that data, but just change the DEFAULT FACTORY SETUP to the "simpleton" mode that you think will reduce complaints.  BUT DON'T TAKE AWAY THE ABILITY FOR US TO HAVE THAT INFORMATION COMPLETELY!!!!!!!!!   That way, those of us who LIKE our highly advanced car can read the manual and enable ALL the available options if we want to!

I couldn't agree more, but I don't think anyone is listening.

I'm thinking that Ford removed it so people could not easily tell what the MPGe and actualy mileage are - that is the only reason I can see for removing the gallons consumed. Additionally, as the HVB degrades over time, it would be obvious because of the mileage on the HVB meter getting less. All of this is dumb, because anyone can simply track their statistics in a spreadsheet and know (with even more precision) how the car is doing. I do it, and it takes only a minute to fill in on my phone while I fill up the car.

My belief is that this is all related to the dust up over the C-Max not achieving the MPG claimed at product launch. They went through the menus and removed things that could provide data to the customers. I realize that the FFE was not impacted, but from what I can tell the software has a common baseline, with only a few changes between the C-Max Energi and FFE.

• 3 weeks later...

So Ford's answer to any complaint is..."take it away"?

So far items taken away:

1. Lifetime Summary

2. MPGe

3. Trip meter gas burn amount

4. Battery range in miles on HVB icon

What's next...Speed limit signs in the GPS?

-=>Raja.

Well...i wouldnt mind them taking the speed limit signs...since you cant adjust the size...some people, its hard to see those numbers ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just had two recalls done on my 2015 and the hvb mileage went away after they updated the software.... Not very happy.

I've been avoiding the dealer because of this - I don't want to lose features with a software "update"! 

But, my stock L1 EVSE melted its plug and left a big burn mark on the outlet. To get a new one under warranty, they wanted to look at the car as well. I specifically directed them not to do any software updates without calling me first... I sure hope they don't mess it up. :/

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late to this topic, but I got my 2016 Energi as a buy back for my 2013 Fusion Energi. I love the center stack updates and the new wheels, but the dumbing down of the displays really sucks.

Was happy to find this thread, but sad that there wasn't a setting I was just missing for the battery miles display.

• 2 months later...

Uggghh I was afraid I would find this topic here. I just had my charge port ring replaced and that created an issue with the remote start climate settings, that resulted in an SSM 45143 reflash that eliminated the Battery mileage indicator. Not happy.

Edited by Johnny Mo