Custom Search

Welcome to Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Energi Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Ford Fusion Energi Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Love your Fusion Energi? Register it in the official authorized Ford Energi Registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Moonroof owners, do you actually use that thing?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Moonroof usage (12 member(s) have cast votes)

How often do you open your moonroof?

1. Never (3 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Sometimes (6 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. I find every excuse to have it open while driving (3 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 107 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2017

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

While my current Energi and my 2013 hybrid before that have the moonroof, I'm actually not a fan of this sort of thing at all. To me, the moonroof is the single most useless option offered on the Fusion (and many other cars). It adds weight, creates a vulnerable point in the roof, robs tall passengers of headroom, and should not be forced on consumers (I know you can factory order a car, but that's not always an option nor does it guarantee avoidance of the moonroof - e.g. Fusion Platinum cannot remove it).

I literally never open the moonroof, not even the shade underneath, unless you count the times when I use the global remote open feature from my key fob on a hot day to open all windows, which activates the tilt feature of the moonroof (I then immediately close it back when I get into the car). I actually didn't even realize my 2013 hybrid had a moonroof until the day after I drove it off the lot!

Why Ford feels the need to push the moonroof on loaded Hybrid and Energi models is bewildering, since it hurts the goal of improved fuel economy. The Chevrolet Volt doesn't offer it on any trim level which is the right move. You can get it as a truly standalone option on Teslas and Priuses but I have yet to see any Teslas or Priuses with moonroofs (I have seen a few Teslas with the all-glass pano roofs though).

The only reason why any of my cars have one is because I strictly buy used cars, and I cannot be too picky in that case. I did get lucky with my 2015 Escape Titanium - it is fully loaded with the tech but has no moonroof (oddly, it does have a garage door opener, whereas the Fusion forces you to buy the moonroof to get that). If I had an extra digit on my paycheck, I would buy brand new cars and bribe whoever it takes to specially create my car without one (since many luxury cars make it standard)!

With that, fellow moonroof owners, do you actually use yours? Or do you feel the way I do?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Energi Member

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Fusion's Year:2013

Posted 21 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

When I come to my car in a hot parking lot in the middle of the summer I immediately open the roof to let all of the accumulated hot air escape before I get into the car.

• 4cylinder likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Russael

Russael

Energi Member

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:1999 EB 4x4 Expedition, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

When the weather is comfortable (above 70 but below 90), I always have my moonroof open.  I don't actually have it roll back in to the headliner, but I have it raise up the back end for additional ventilation.  I use it a lot more than I thought I would, but would I miss it if it weren't there?  Probably not.  I think it's crap that if you want the garage door opener, you have to get the moonroof too.

• 4cylinder likes this

I am The White Fury in Region 5 on MyFord Mobile.

#4 OFFLINE   muzicman61

muzicman61

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPeoria, IL
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium Energi

Posted 21 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

When I come to my car in a hot parking lot in the middle of the summer I immediately open the roof to let all of the accumulated hot air escape before I get into the car.

I've read in this forum there is a fob combination that will open the moonroof and roll down all the windows.  I don't remember the exact key combo but I tried it at the time and it worked.  It's not in the manual as far as i could find but it might be helpful on those really hot days.  Although I find that with the cooled seats using remote start works just as well.  I start my car from my phone just before i leave my desk and 5 minutes later the car is nice and cool.  

641076.png

#5 OFFLINE   bdginmo

bdginmo

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 220 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2015

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:39 AM

I use it quite a bit. If you tilt it up and then crack the rear passenger window it will create a significant air circulation over your upper body area without letting a lot of road noise in. Try it. 

• jj2me likes this
377260.png

#6 OFFLINE   Timewellspent

Timewellspent

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 262 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationMN

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:46 AM

I've read in this forum there is a fob combination that will open the moonroof and roll down all the windows.  I don't remember the exact key combo

Just press the unlock button and then press it a second time and hold it.  All windows will open.  To Close just press the lock button and then press it a second time and hold it.

409947.png

#7 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:37 AM

Just press the unlock button and then press it a second time and hold it.  All windows will open.  To Close just press the lock button and then press it a second time and hold it.

Yep that is called Global Open/Close. My moonroof-less Escape also has it, as do most cars made since the early 2000s (if all their windows are power windows).

#8 OFFLINE   My14Energi

My14Energi

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 102 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFlorida
  • My Fusion's Year:Decline

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:58 AM

Use it daily. Havent owned a car without one in a long time.

#9 OFFLINE   jsamp

jsamp

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 205 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCA
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi SE, Escape Hybrid

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

I almost didn't buy the car I did because it had the moonroof.  It's bound some day to leak when the seals wear out.  Then it becomes a replacement issue (and possible rust issue if not caught early enough).  My young daughters think it's cool, but they had never seen one before.  I hardly ever use it.

I'm curious from you northerners whether the freeze/thaw of snow and ice ever causes leakage around the moonroof?

#10 OFFLINE   4cylinder

4cylinder

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 107 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

I almost didn't buy the car I did because it had the moonroof.  It's bound some day to leak when the seals wear out.  Then it becomes a replacement issue (and possible rust issue if not caught early enough).  My young daughters think it's cool, but they had never seen one before.  I hardly ever use it.

I'm curious from you northerners whether the freeze/thaw of snow and ice ever causes leakage around the moonroof?

I park my cars in a garage to avoid that :)

I don't know if snow/ice is the cause but people on the Hybrid forum have reported finding leaks on rainy days. I wonder if regular usage of the moonroof increases the likelihood of that happening.

#11 OFFLINE   My14Energi

My14Energi

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 102 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFlorida
  • My Fusion's Year:Decline

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:43 AM

Going back to 2001, i had a dodge, three lincolns and now the fusion. All had sunroofs and none ever leaked a drop. My last lincoln had the panoramic roof that opened and not a single issue. I also park inside my garage daily which is rare these days, most people turn their garage into a storage unit. I suspect the opposite....less use causes leaks and problems

Edited by My14Energi, 23 January 2018 - 07:47 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   Russael

Russael

Energi Member

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:1999 EB 4x4 Expedition, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:22 AM

In general, they leak.  There is a drip tray with drains on all 4 corners of the moonroof.  Never had a problem with it leaking in to the car.

I am The White Fury in Region 5 on MyFord Mobile.

#13 OFFLINE   Gkinla

Gkinla

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 26 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Fusion Energi
  • My Fusion's Year:2016

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:33 PM

I turned off the global opening several years ago... because, one morning, during a very heavy rain, with the fob in my pocket, I managed to get the windows open. Lucky I managed to find out in a short time. It took several days to get the car dried off.

#14 OFFLINE   muzicman61

muzicman61

• Fusion Energi Member
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPeoria, IL
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium Energi

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

I had a moon roof in my 2008 Focus, live in central Illinois and never had an issue with leaks.  It was always parked outside.  But my Fusions gets inside parking! :)

641076.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·