Ford Fusion Energi Forum

EV Miles Went POOF!

muzicman61

So I just moved to Phoenix Arizona.  On Monday I drove to my new office for the first time. Roughly a 22 mile drive, non interstate.  When I parked in the parking deck, I still had 4 EV miles left.  Yet when I got in the vehicle at the end of the day, my EV miles were gone.  Same thing happened on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Yesterday I took a different route where I went on the interstate a short bit and shifted to EV later.  When I arrived at work i still had 7 EV miles.  When I returned to the vehicle at the end of the day I had 5 EV miles.  Very odd.   I've had the vehicle for a little over a year and never saw that happen before. 

Any thoughts?

I live in Phoenix and have had my 2017 Energi almost 2 years.  When it is 110 degrees outside the car gets 140 or more inside.  Mine always loses some if parked in the heat for a while.  I'll go in to do grocery shopping with 2 miles left, when I come out, zero.  Pretty sure this is normal.  It does not happen to me when the temperatures cool down.

I call this battery roulette.  Happens to me every day when I leave work, but can go either direction.  Mine has varied by as much as 10% either up or down.

If it is above about 68 deg when I come out, I most likely will have lost some

at around 65, it is ~ the same as when I parked it

Cooler than 65 it likely has added.

Of course, this is not predictable and can vary.  Some days it is warmer and I've added % so it is not a reliable measure, but fairly consistent

• 8 months later...

To the to Phoenicians at the beginning of this posting I also am in Phoenix 2014 Fusion absolutely sad that I can only get 10 to 12 miles out of a full charge I am fortunate to be able to park in a underground parking garage with 110 availability to charge the eight hours that I'm there working I would be curious to know more about your vehicle's mileage what types of KW on your charges

November 10, 2019 Now the most I get 8-9 when fully charge 110 or 220 does not mater 1 time wrench came out produce a code PODAD battery balance circuit. 

I am lucky if I get a charge of 2.5.to 2.9 KW at the most.

Edited by 68mustangjim

I have a 2017 Energi and the Phoenix heat has done a number on my battery.  My last few tests of the KW usage based on driving in EV mode to when the car switches to hybrid mode is around 4.1 to 4.2 KWh.  I only have 24,000 miles on the car.  It was well over 5 KWh when I first got the car in 2016.  The first year, I charged it every day, even when 115 degrees, sometimes twice a day.  The dealer didn't tell me anything about how to care for the battery, and what I read in the manual didn't either.  It just said use it like a gas tank and refill and charge whenever you want....so I did.  Still, even with that reduction, I get about 20 to 22 miles out of a charge.  My commute to work is about 8 miles and I always make it there and back, even including a mile or so at lunch, without the engine starting.  

I have a 2017 Energi and the Phoenix heat has done a number on my battery.  My last few tests of the KW usage based on driving in EV mode to when the car switches to hybrid mode is around 4.1 to 4.2 KWh.  I only have 24,000 miles on the car.  It was well over 5 KWh when I first got the car in 2016.  The first year, I charged it every day, even when 115 degrees, sometimes twice a day.  The dealer didn't tell me anything about how to care for the battery, and what I read in the manual didn't either.  It just said use it like a gas tank and refill and charge whenever you want....so I did.  Still, even with that reduction, I get about 20 to 22 miles out of a charge.  My commute to work is about 8 miles and I always make it there and back, even including a mile or so at lunch, without the engine starting.  

I'm hoping that you Phoenicians are either not driving EV this week, or only charging late at night to drive EV early in the AM:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/729d869b5da7e1b89835d0de7940cda8b0b2e0dafda4ef6f742b558409755f66

Lows are 80F+ at 6am.  Highs are 110F+

We saw 100 today here, but that is abnormal for Silicon Valley.  (PS: I didn't charge).

• 1 month later...

Muzicman61; if you remove the black plastic piece at the rear of the trunk which holds the padded board in the bottom of the trunk in place you can tilt the back of the foam insert up (which contains the tire air pump and charging cable). This will allow the battery cooling air to actually escape from the trunk.

I live near Sacramento, CA and on 100F+ days it really helps the battery cooling, since normally all that hot air is trapped in the trunk where the battery "lives".