Ford Fusion Energi Forum

Help - Horrible rotten egg smell

xxxthebxxx

Hi again all, I just got back from a 150 mile one-way drive and, with the passenger window cracked, we began smelling a bad egg-like smell.

Put my driver’s window, I smelled nothing. With the windows closed, all was fine, too.

At first, we chalked it to the tractor trailer in front, but after it happened 2-3 times, it wasn’t a coincidence, and not the dog in the back seat, either.

Once I arrived home and got out of the car, the smell suddenly became unbearable next to it. I even noticed steam coming out of the driver’s side tail light.

I quickly emptied the trunk of our things and parked the car away from buildings. Inside the 12V compartment, nothing looked abnormal.

Any ideas what this could be?

That would make sense…and thinking more about it, maybe it’s the reason I had another issue just before taking this drive.

I plugged in my car Saturday night and didn’t touch it until yesterday evening. Yet, after unplugging the charger and going to load up the car a couple hours later, suddenly the interior lights went out and there was a faint message on Sync 3 telling me to start the car for power. I couldn’t even open the trunk!

The car did start fine and I was able to drive away, but it would not leave “Auto” mode despite the battery being charged. After about 20 miles and a power cycle, it did let me use EV Now mode.

Could a bad 12V also contribute to that?

If there's one thing that's true of these Energi's it is that a 12V battery issue can affect just about ANYTHING.  There have been many reports on here of strange issues that you wouldn't think were related but replacing the 12v battery seems to resolve them.  I had some strange things going on when my 12V was near it's end-of-life.  Start there and see how it goes. 

If you're interested, there is a thread on this site about an AGM battery that is nearly the exact size of the BXT-99RT4-A stock battery.  I think it is slightly taller.  Search the forums.  There's also one that murphy found but it is longer so you'd have to cut the end off your battery tray.

On 2/15/2023 at 12:35 AM, jsamp said:

... there is a thread on this site about an AGM battery that is nearly the exact size of the BXT-99RT4-A stock battery.  I think it is slightly taller.  Search the forums.

https://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/topic/4751-2017-fusion-energi-dead-battery-issues/?do=findComment&comment=35166

Thank you both for those links. It's reassuring (but also odd) to see so many others have similar issues. I came out to a completely dead car yesterday. Rather than fumble around (and since I already had an appointment for a cracked gauge cluster cover in two weeks), I called Ford Roadside Assistance since it is still covered.

To my surprise, the tech, after starting the car, still loaded it up and took it away. Fine with me! I'll make sure I follow up on what battery gets in there based on the other links I'm seeing.

Does plugging it in to 110V not actually float the 12V?

Another quick question...is it bad to load up the trunk in these cars? I did read in the manual to not cover the rear deck in the interior behind the seats, but nothing about loading things around the battery in the trunk. Obviously, it's fairly easy to load up this trunk. Thanks!

On 2/18/2023 at 8:05 AM, xxxthebxxx said:

Does plugging it in to 110V not actually float the 12V?

Another quick question...is it bad to load up the trunk in these cars? I did read in the manual to not cover the rear deck in the interior behind the seats, but nothing about loading things around the battery in the trunk. Obviously, it's fairly easy to load up this trunk. Thanks!

Charging the HVB will charge the 12V, but only if you leave it plugged in.  It will 'top off' the 12V after it is done charging the HVB.  not sure how long it takes.

Loading up the trunk shouldn't affect anything.  The trunk does get warm when charging but that will just warm up whatever you have put in it.

Glad to hear the trunk is fair game. If the 12V is slowly topped off when plugged in, do you recommend leaving the car plugged in for an extended period, both for the HVB and 12v?

I have a week-long vacation coming up next month, and if I (hopefully) have the car back, I'm wondering what is best to do. I saw the other thread mention not plugging it in for anything longer than that.

Edited by xxxthebxxx

On 2/20/2023 at 1:01 AM, jsamp said:

If you are going to be running the ICE during your trip, I wouldn't worry about the 12V.  It charges when running the engine.  I believe it also charges when running in EV mode via the DC-DC converter, but I am not an expert on that.

Good to know! I didn’t phrase my question too well though, I meant to say I’m going away and the car is staying home. 

Best to put a trickle charger, like a Battery Tender, on the 12V if you have a garage.  A less desirable option is to disconnect the 12V (troublesome, reconnecting and having the engine relearn).  If you have an AGM 12V battery (more resilient to battery depletion), you could do nothing.  I've gone a week of non-use on a lead-acid 12V battery and it started right up, and that battery lasted 5 years.